Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8445 8446 [8447] 8448 8449 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14523574 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #126690 on: September 13, 2017, 07:43:56 am »

Weirdly detached from reality lately. I'll be somewhere and it'll take conscious effort to remember why/how I got there, and if I don't think about it it's hard to separate what's real from what I've been reading or dreaming.

Hopefully it's just fatigue.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126691 on: September 13, 2017, 07:48:40 am »

Weirdly detached from reality lately. I'll be somewhere and it'll take conscious effort to remember why/how I got there, and if I don't think about it it's hard to separate what's real from what I've been reading or dreaming.

I've had that before. Dehydration can exacerbate it; have you been getting enough water?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #126692 on: September 13, 2017, 07:50:08 am »

Well, when you make jokes about killing Jewish people, things tend to get said about you.

There's a very thick seam of holocaust jokes out there uttered by people other than Nazis.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #126693 on: September 13, 2017, 07:59:55 am »

I've had that before. Dehydration can exacerbate it; have you been getting enough water?

I should think so, since I tote around a half-litre bottle that I empty two to four times throughout the working day. It's not as much as I could be drinking, but I'm not doing too much that would make me lose water.

Glad it's not an issue unique to me.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126694 on: September 13, 2017, 08:18:08 am »

Well, when you make jokes about killing Jewish people, things tend to get said about you.

There's a very thick seam of holocaust jokes out there uttered by people other than Nazis.
*raises hand*

(Not in that way though)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126695 on: September 13, 2017, 08:44:54 am »

That you are German is very much so not helping matters here, Helgo.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126696 on: September 13, 2017, 09:40:47 am »

I hope you're not saying that that makes the holocaust jokes *okay*. :U
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126697 on: September 13, 2017, 11:13:51 am »

Well, they're sort of a way of dealing with history, of coming to terms with and grasping what happened...

Example: 'My grampa died in Auschwitz.' 'My condolences.' 'Yeah, he fell off the watchtower.' That's a fairly popular one, and it is essentially a way of acknowledging the collective guilt of the German people. By wrapping it into humor, the memory of the atrocities committed is kept alive in a way apart from the quote-unquote official memory policy that is very sober and earnest.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #126698 on: September 13, 2017, 11:20:07 am »

See, you say that, but that's like the most cliche of the edgeteen jokes outside of Germany so I can't tell if that position has merit or not.

Personally, when it comes to transgression I'm more of a dead baby joke purist. What ever happened to that, huh? Entire books could have been and may have been written on that. Binding of Issac is one giant dead baby joke, and that's great. It can even get away with itself through force of absurdity.

Kids these days with their neo-nazi pol memes and shit. If only they had ended up in the dead baby pile back when that was an option, then this wouldn't have happened.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126699 on: September 13, 2017, 12:01:43 pm »

See, you say that, but that's like the most cliche of the edgeteen jokes outside of Germany so I can't tell if that position has merit or not.
Oh, it's very cliché. But it makes a difference that practically everyone here has an ancestor who might plausibly have stood on a watchtower there.
The Bay12 postcard club

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126700 on: September 13, 2017, 12:23:49 pm »

I feel like there's a difference between gallows humour holocaust jokes and "hah hah hah jews died and that's funny" holocaust jokes.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126701 on: September 13, 2017, 12:45:52 pm »

Sure. Who...said otherwise?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #126702 on: September 13, 2017, 12:49:00 pm »

Okay, good.  I was afraid I missed something.

Hey, how many jews does it take to murder a god?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126703 on: September 13, 2017, 12:49:41 pm »

Nobody *said* otherwise, but Helgo was acting as if they were the same. :v

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #126704 on: September 13, 2017, 12:50:11 pm »

Well, they're sort of a way of dealing with history, of coming to terms with and grasping what happened...

Example: 'My grampa died in Auschwitz.' 'My condolences.' 'Yeah, he fell off the watchtower.' That's a fairly popular one, and it is essentially a way of acknowledging the collective guilt of the German people. By wrapping it into humor, the memory of the atrocities committed is kept alive in a way apart from the quote-unquote official memory policy that is very sober and earnest.
That reminds me of the Daily Show and its various spinoffs.  They talk about things most people wouldn't want to listen to so they wrap it in humor.  Colbert has made so many rape/sexual assault jokes about Trump this year.  I think its his way of not letting that scandal die.

Personally, when it comes to transgression I'm more of a dead baby joke purist. What ever happened to that, huh? Entire books could have been and may have been written on that. Binding of Issac is one giant dead baby joke, and that's great. It can even get away with itself through force of absurdity.

Kids these days with their neo-nazi pol memes and shit. If only they had ended up in the dead baby pile back when that was an option, then this wouldn't have happened.
My personal distinction with transgression is whether the joke is how awful X is, or if the joke is that we all secretly believe X.  Making a joke about how asian people have a small penis or whatever doesn't work because unless you believe asian people have small penises, the joke has no punchline.  Its predicated on already being racist.  Compare to the classic jokes about how babies are great to eat.  The joke is predicated on how much you disagree with the speaker.

More practical example: sitcom characters.  Bender from Futurama, the main cast of Seinfeld/Always Sunny, the main character and his mom from Archer.  The whole point is that they're strange, horrible people and the humor comes from A) the fact that they react to situations in unexpected ways B) watching horrible shit happen to them.  The Big Bang Theory messes up by making its characters stereotypes, thus ruining the entire sitcom formula.  The joke with Sheldon and Penny and everyone else is that they react to situations in the exact way that you'd expect.  Which isn't really a joke, hence why people who don't believe the stereotypes (like actual nerds) tend to not find the show funny.

Spoiler: wild digression (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 8445 8446 [8447] 8448 8449 ... 11037