Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8400 8401 [8402] 8403 8404 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14542450 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #126015 on: August 27, 2017, 12:00:20 pm »

Mosquitos serve an important role in aquatic ecosystems, their larvae being an important food source for many water dwellers.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #126016 on: August 27, 2017, 12:11:42 pm »

Would it be theoretically possible to breed/geneticallycreate/geneticallymodify wasps/bees/whathaveyou that use a venom that doesn't cause such annoying (and possibly life-threateing) effects in humans?

EDIT:Also, IIRC it has been proven that mosquitoes serve no purpose in the environment.
Also, Also, I'm trying to delete files from when I transferred files to my new computer from my flashdrive, and some of them are corrupted, and it sucks

Yes if scientists understood which genes were behind the production of those proteins. I don't think we know the function of every protein coding gene yet, but this might help you https://www.hgsc.bcm.edu/arthropods/honey-bee-genome-project

also who on earth "prooved" to you that mosquitos "serve no pourpose", perhaps you failed to realize that mosquito larvae are numerous at least in terms of biomass,  and although the role could be taken over by other species greatly reducing the food supply in any part of an ecosystem is not going to have no effect.  Those are just in temperate regions, in the arctic for example mosquitoes literally form massive swarms which is one reason insectivorous and omnivorous birds can make a living their, and why caribou don't stop the land dry (the mosquitos keep their numbers from getting too high, the wolves only hunt the deer when the pass through their individual territories).

Awesome male mosquitoes like bees and butterflies are actually pollinators which helps plants reproduce in general, but if you somehow think that that's unimportant, then *shrugs * you might've missed learning about the basics of ecology.

You probably meant was that reducing the numbers of disease carrying species won't have much of an ecological impact as other mosquito species will proliferate in their place, but if the whole group just disappeared, that would cause drastic changes in sure.

Edit: Here's a nice link, I can provide more if you want: http://animals.mom.me/mosquitoes-valuable-ecosystem-8494.html
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 12:16:04 pm by Paxiecrunchle »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #126017 on: August 27, 2017, 01:03:29 pm »

At my workplace: apparently someone has taken the assumption that I'm Italian  to the next level by affixing an "-INI" suffix to my surname in official reports

Vasquezini? Bilbaolini? Maybe if your name wasn't "Mussol" they wouldn't be as tempted to do it.
I recently assumed my doctor was South American when she actually turned out to be Romanian because she had the same break I know Spanish speakers (not being able to differentiate between our two "here" words for example). Turns out Romanian has the same issues for the same reasons. Them damn Latin, can't tell them apart, am I right

I think it's because it ends with "i". Going by the accent they do tend to place me in a wide arch covering all regions with latin-derivate languages. When they go with the surname it's either Polish or Italian.

That sounds like a form of harassment actually.

No... more likely honest mistake. Not the worst misspelling of my name I've seen. I probably have misspelt someone's name at some point and I'm not even aware. It's hard to deal with foreign names.

Now, my team's permanent disdain (particularily that of the juniorest member) IS a form of harassment, IMO. Specially since she has begun to make ruckus in front of patients and staff. I might have to do something about this soon :/
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126018 on: August 27, 2017, 01:08:49 pm »

Yes if scientists understood which genes were behind the production of those proteins. I don't think we know the function of every protein coding gene yet, but this might help you https://www.hgsc.bcm.edu/arthropods/honey-bee-genome-project

We do, at least for the apamin, phosopholipase A2 and tertiapin that make up some of the really dangerous components of apitoxin; I'm looking at their coding sequences right now. We also have the tools to spread inactive versions of these genes through wild honeybee populations through genetically modified viruses. The main obstacle at this point is public opposition to widespread genetic modification.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126019 on: August 27, 2017, 01:15:55 pm »

Can we please make hornet stings just not hurt? That would be frikkin hilarious. Imagine seeing one land on you and poke at your skin ineffectually. That would totally make up for watching the bastards hover around in their bright yellow carapace like they own the place.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126020 on: August 27, 2017, 01:20:22 pm »

Can we please make hornet stings just not hurt? That would be frikkin hilarious. Imagine seeing one land on you and poke at your skin ineffectually. That would totally make up for watching the bastards hover around in their bright yellow carapace like they own the place.

I mean, we could take out the acetylcholine but you'd still be getting stabbed with a stinger, so that would hurt. I guess maybe you could add local analgesics to their venom, but those won't work after the fact.

Also it's probably a bad idea to have wasps dispensing anesthesia in general.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:24:40 pm by Trekkin »

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #126021 on: August 27, 2017, 01:23:34 pm »

Now, my team's permanent disdain (particularily that of the juniorest member) IS a form of harassment, IMO. Specially since she has begun to make ruckus in front of patients and staff. I might have to do something about this soon :/

I want to ask, nut it seems personal :-\
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126022 on: August 27, 2017, 01:26:55 pm »

I think it's because it ends with "i". Going by the accent they do tend to place me in a wide arch covering all regions with latin-derivate languages. When they go with the surname it's either Polish or Italian.

Uh, Polish is not latin-derivate (Romanic), it is in fact Slavic language, like for example Russian.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126023 on: August 27, 2017, 01:42:47 pm »

I mean, we could take out the acetylcholine but you'd still be getting stabbed with a stinger, so that would hurt. I guess maybe you could add local analgesics to their venom, but those won't work after the fact.

Also it's probably a bad idea to have wasps dispensing anesthesia in general.

It's a tiny, tiny poke. It's the damn poison that's the annoying part.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #126024 on: August 27, 2017, 01:50:45 pm »

At least it's a coagulant. We'd probably bleed a bit more when they bite if they didn't clean up for themselves. Unlike horseflies, bastards of the farm.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126025 on: August 27, 2017, 03:04:34 pm »

also who on earth "prooved" to you that mosquitos "serve no pourpose", perhaps you failed to realize that mosquito larvae are numerous at least in terms of biomass,  and although the role could be taken over by other species greatly reducing the food supply in any part of an ecosystem is not going to have no effect.  Those are just in temperate regions, in the arctic for example mosquitoes literally form massive swarms which is one reason insectivorous and omnivorous birds can make a living their, and why caribou don't stop the land dry (the mosquitos keep their numbers from getting too high, the wolves only hunt the deer when the pass through their individual territories).

Awesome male mosquitoes like bees and butterflies are actually pollinators which helps plants reproduce in general, but if you somehow think that that's unimportant, then *shrugs * you might've missed learning about the basics of ecology.

You probably meant was that reducing the numbers of disease carrying species won't have much of an ecological impact as other mosquito species will proliferate in their place, but if the whole group just disappeared, that would cause drastic changes in sure.

Edit: Here's a nice link, I can provide more if you want: http://animals.mom.me/mosquitoes-valuable-ecosystem-8494.html

I didn't even know their were multiple species of mosquito

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126026 on: August 27, 2017, 03:13:06 pm »

I mostly know because I was taught to be especially wary of the ones with lines of white along their legs, like dashed lines.  Supposedly, they were more likely to carry malaria.
In retrospect I sorta doubt that, but they were more visible.  Maybe why they were relatively uncommon.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 03:14:41 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #126027 on: August 27, 2017, 03:34:15 pm »

We do, at least for the apamin, phosopholipase A2 and tertiapin that make up some of the really dangerous components of apitoxin; I'm looking at their coding sequences right now. We also have the tools to spread inactive versions of these genes through wild honeybee populations through genetically modified viruses. The main obstacle at this point is public opposition to widespread genetic modification.

Also would it be right to leave bees essentially helpless? seems kind of wrong on that level. Honestly, I have less of a problem with making poison resistant people.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126028 on: August 27, 2017, 03:41:03 pm »

Would it be theoretically possible to breed/geneticallycreate/geneticallymodify wasps/bees/whathaveyou that use a venom that doesn't cause such annoying (and possibly life-threateing) effects in humans?

EDIT:Also, IIRC it has been proven that mosquitoes serve no purpose in the environment.
Also, Also, I'm trying to delete files from when I transferred files to my new computer from my flashdrive, and some of them are corrupted, and it sucks

I heard a similar thing, but it was more that the disease-carrying species of mosquitoes don't serve a specific purpose or niche.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126029 on: August 27, 2017, 03:42:52 pm »

Uh, Polish is not latin-derivate (Romanic), it is in fact Slavic language, like for example Russian.
Reading comprehension: Accent = Latin. Surname =/= accent, but = Polish.

Also: It's "Romance" language, not "Romanic"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 8400 8401 [8402] 8403 8404 ... 11037