Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8310 8311 [8312] 8313 8314 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14554054 times)

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #124665 on: July 25, 2017, 07:27:40 pm »

Ooh, microchips?

Me wanna, where do I sign up?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #124666 on: July 25, 2017, 07:28:06 pm »

BF Skinner thought that. He was wrong. People with bad vocal cords can still think. Also, paralyzing vocal cords doesn't stop "hearing voices" in auditory hallucinating patients. Was tried; failed. Horrible, sad, etc.

Down with microchips in people. Up with nacho chips in people. I hope this company's facility gets buried in Doritos.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 07:29:54 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #124667 on: July 25, 2017, 08:23:40 pm »

well technically if you're putting nacho chips up in people you're doing something wrong OR following oddly specific instructions

That besides, holy crap. I know that various companies are hankering for personal information about everyone, but this is approaching Shadowrun-tier dystopia at an alarming rate. As much as i like the roleplaying game, i do not wish for it to become our reality. >.>
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #124668 on: July 25, 2017, 08:42:06 pm »

Eh, generally the chips considered here aren't even remotely near high level tracking mechanisms, nor will they be any time soon. They're mostly just fancy security cards at this point, except you don't have to dig it out of your pocket or whatev' when it's time to go through a check. Roughly the same shit we put in chip enabled credit cards and junk.

We have a lot of the tech needed for a subdermal chip able to track basically everything, up to and including geolocation and health readings and shopping habits and whatnot, but that shit is hella' more expensive than anyone is going to spend to keep track of some schlep down in marketing. Or at least anyone sane and/or intending to stay in business, because doing so would be a notable competitive disadvantage vis a vis employee costs and mean your less stupid fellow companies will pull ahead of you, bit by bit.

It's possible that'll change at some point in the future, but that point in the future is pretty solidly guaranteed to not come until someone figures out a way to make high function subdermal chips and their installation and maintenance cheaper than the same thing except not stuck in fleshy bits.

... won't lie, I'd rather imagine what's going to happen faster is an app (template) of some sort that does all of the stuff HR/upper admin/marketing wants done, except the employee shoulders the cost of installation (i.e. buys and keeps running an applicable smart phone) if they want to get and stay hired.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #124669 on: July 25, 2017, 08:59:40 pm »

Or at least anyone sane and/or intending to stay in business, because doing so would be a notable competitive disadvantage vis a vis employee costs and mean your less stupid fellow companies will pull ahead of you, bit by bit.

You would be shocked to learn how rarely this bites. Much more often, every company hurtles over the same cliff out of fear that they are missing out of a competitive advantage.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124670 on: July 25, 2017, 09:37:26 pm »

... won't lie, I'd rather imagine what's going to happen faster is an app (template) of some sort that does all of the stuff HR/upper admin/marketing wants done, except the employee shoulders the cost of installation (i.e. buys and keeps running an applicable smart phone) if they want to get and stay hired.
... I think that's already a thing?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124671 on: July 25, 2017, 09:44:07 pm »

Here I was expecting some other piece of teen dystopian fiction or somesuch bearing the same name and similar idea, haha. Didn't realize we'd gone straight biblical with it.

Speaking of subdermal implants and microphones, I recall reading somewhere that the voice in our head is generated by tiny vibrations in the voice box/vocal chords, or something to that effect. I can't help but wonder if there was some way to meaningfully do 'mind reading' by capturing that somehow, or 'telepathy' by capturing and transmitting it. I could be all kinds of wrong, of course, I have no source to fall back on.

The army, unsurprisingly, is quite interested in this technology. And there's no reason to believe it won't eventually succeed either, we've had pickup mics since the 40's, and this works on essentially the same principle, just with more sensitivity.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subvocal_recognition
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throat_microphone
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:52:03 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #124672 on: July 25, 2017, 09:55:30 pm »

You would be shocked to learn how rarely this bites. Much more often, every company hurtles over the same cliff out of fear that they are missing out of a competitive advantage.
I really wouldn't be :P

Still, at least at the moment I'm pretty sure the difference is both egregious enough and new enough you wouldn't see the effect. Another twenty, thirty years and the technology matures and cheapens and I wouldn't be quite as close to approaching confident, heh.

And it may be, desc. Don't have a smart phone and only half-way pay attention to app junk due to having a tablet, so it's entirely possible I just haven't noticed that kind of thing starting the chug forward full steam ahead.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #124673 on: July 26, 2017, 12:21:30 am »

I feel like the apocalypse is going to come and go in a blink of an eye and I'm going to miss it because I don't own a smartphone.

I want to be included too. :(
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #124674 on: July 26, 2017, 01:52:07 am »

Siri will be the Skynet of a new, user-friendly Judgement Day.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124675 on: July 26, 2017, 02:28:40 am »

So my sister has lost a lot of weight and is now thin.

But she still has body issues.

I think it is very interesting how people with body issues very often aren't just cured because their body improves. As if the feeling of being ugly just infects your mind.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #124676 on: July 26, 2017, 02:29:56 am »

So my sister has lost a lot of weight and is now thin.

But she still has body issues.

I think it is very interesting how people with body issues very often aren't just cured because their body improves. As if the feeling of being ugly just infects your mind.

That doesn't sound like just body issues, that sounds like a potentially serious disorder
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124677 on: July 26, 2017, 02:50:32 am »

She is still functional and eats heathy (Though she is high strung when it comes to her diet at times... Sometimes forcing someone to remeasure if they weren't careful enough with the measuring bowls)

I just wish she didn't still feel fat

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #124678 on: July 26, 2017, 03:39:06 am »

Anorexia patients can camouflage their disorder pretty well. She could seem to eat healthy, but compensate by excessive excersise, or secretive vomiting sessions.
Not saying she is an anorexia patient, just saying, keep an eye on it. And don't tease her with it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #124679 on: July 26, 2017, 07:50:10 am »

+27 C shouldn't feel like being in a heatstove on a slow burn.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 8310 8311 [8312] 8313 8314 ... 11039