Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8241 8242 [8243] 8244 8245 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14524195 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123630 on: June 29, 2017, 07:05:08 am »

Eh, most usb laptop fans tend to be really inefficient overall, I wouldnt be surprised if they basically halved your battery's life.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123631 on: June 29, 2017, 07:21:23 am »

To admit I thought of creating a topic about the perfect two pizzas.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123632 on: June 29, 2017, 07:54:47 am »

A few weeks ago I went to our local discount store, and they had some ultra cheap (2.50 euros) table fans with usb port (it draws power via usb instead of wall socket). I was really content with it, it helped keep me and my laptop cool during last week's heatwave.

So I got one for my mom too. Later that day, she called me in panic, saying her pc had died. Found out the battery had been drained to 0% (while plugged into the power circuit). Asked her to remove the fan and let it recharge for an hour or two. Works again now. I still have to check it out physically when I go visit this weekend, but it looks like cheap Lenovo laptops don't have enough juice to spare for an usb fan  :P

Huh, I bought one of those a few days ago, currently plugged into my desktop PC and doing a fantastic job. Granted, it cost me about $13, and might be a different model. The idea was to plug it into my netbook's USB port and carry it around like a personal cooling unit, but that's probably not a good idea.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123633 on: June 29, 2017, 09:16:45 am »

You guys are strawmaning a little.
Does that include me? Because I don't remember even saying anything against Feminism this time.
Not you, just Weird. Of course naming a thread "My magic vagina makes me special" is going to get locked.

I did mention that it was my take on modern feminism. The modern trend in that movement is all kinds of screwed up, and no, I do NOT consider it strawmanning, especially when it produces such WTF worthy things like "Baby Love your Body", and be serious about it. If that isn't literal "my magic vagina makes me special" I don't know what is. This trend into seriously strange glorification of symbols of femininity is quite endemic in the modern incarnation of feminism today. You see it in the twisted and practically unfollowable views of miss Sarkeesian, to the rabid "We hate your daddy issues" videos cited earlier. 

Are all modern feminists that way? No.  Are a surprising number of them that way? Yes.  Do they cause mischief and mayhem for the entire movement? Yes they do. Would any thread about the topic invariably bring them up, and get locked? Yes. Yes it would.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123634 on: June 29, 2017, 09:35:34 am »

I think the most jawdropping one was a NSF funded study about developing feminist glaciology. Written by dude feminists, of course. Who aren't glaciologists. Naturally. And who have never been anywhere near a fucking glacier, and have no plans to do so. Seriously.

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0309132515623368

Glaciers, gender, and science
Mark Carey, M. Jackson, Alessandro Antonello

A feminist glaciology framework for global environmental change research

Glaciers are key icons of climate change and global environmental change. However, the relationships among gender, science, and glaciers – particularly related to epistemological questions about the production of glaciological knowledge – remain understudied. This paper thus proposes a feminist glaciology framework with four key components: 1) knowledge producers; (2) gendered science and knowledge; (3) systems of scientific domination; and (4) alternative representations of glaciers. Merging feminist postcolonial science studies and feminist political ecology, the feminist glaciology framework generates robust analysis of gender, power, and epistemologies in dynamic social-ecological systems, thereby leading to more just and equitable science and human-ice interactions.

How da fuq does this even work? You have men feminists attacking men scientists and claiming to have trumped them by doing "feminist science" free from the wrongthinking manthink of ... the other men. And somehow slapping the word "feminist" on the start of "glaciology" is an automatic "i'm right, you're wrong" button.

~~~

Also note the irony of saying it's sexist that most people who study glaciers are men, after the "air conditioning is sexist" argument of recent times. Apparently office aircon is too cold for girls, yet the reason women don't want to go hang out on glaciers for 6 months at a time is sexist men hogging the ice. The only thing better than ludicrous arguments, is ludicrous arguments that are self-contradictory.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 09:45:55 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123635 on: June 29, 2017, 10:04:11 am »

Honestly talking about Feminism feels like criticizing Anita Sarceesian...

In that the worst part about it isn't the herds of people who would blindly defend everything she says and does as if it was an unquestionable truth and look at you with maddening eyes as if you were a "literal Hitler". It is the people who are SOOO against and biased against Anita, such balls of hateful bile, that you feel incredibly guilty for even the slightest disagreement and you have to look yourself in the mirror and decide if you are a bad person or if you just don't like what she has to say because of some unrelated issue.

THEN after that you have to correct the people who go WAY too far and you spent more time actually defending Anita Sarceesian than actually trying to prove your point. ALL the while people will think you are a horrible person because you technically argued against Anita next to the super sexist squad... and you can't entirely blame them because you are contributing to it.

So you end up feeling like garbage and you purely wasted your time in everyway... and everyone hates you for it!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:10:30 am by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123636 on: June 29, 2017, 10:14:44 am »

The thing is, guilt by association is a fallacy.

If you disagree with miss sarkeesian, it should be because you have well reasoned arguments in contradiction to hers. Disagreeing with her positions does not make you a rabid hater, no matter what her fan girls have to say on the matter.  If there is no disagreement, there is no dialog, and there is no progress on the issue. There is only an echo chamber.

When I point out that modern feminism has become a rabble worshiping effigies of the great and holy vagina, I mean that because it is really what I see happening. I do not think that advances the actual cause of equality and respect for women. I am not a rabid misogynist; I just don't see how glorifying what organs you have is in any way positive toward fostering feelings of equity, and instead see how it creates feelings of specialness, which is the enemy of equity.

I dont like "Magic vagina" feminism. I like "your organs are yours, but they dont define you" feminism.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #123637 on: June 29, 2017, 11:00:07 am »

I'm reminded heavily of the Rolfe Ghostbusters incident here.

For those who don't know what I'm referring to, James Rolfe (best known for his character The Angry Video Game Nerd, and who is usually very to review revived 80s nerd properties) gave a well-reasoned explanation why he was not going to see the Ghostbusters remake, and thus why the expected review was not going to happen.

Despite not mentioning the casting at all (except for a point where he commented that the titling decision means that the easiest way to distinguish it from the original in conversation would be "the girl version" because the titles are identical), this was met with a storm of hate and accusations of misogyny. This has died down a lot now that the movie is generally regarded as "not very good", but the whole thing is pretty ludicrous.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123638 on: June 29, 2017, 11:55:41 am »

If I remember correctly, it wasn't just Rolfe, but there was some hate directed towards female reviewers who said the movie sucked.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123639 on: June 29, 2017, 12:07:50 pm »

Women should in fact be insulted if they just cram some women into something and expect every woman to love it regardless of how good it actually is.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #123640 on: June 29, 2017, 12:15:44 pm »

If I remember correctly, it wasn't just Rolfe, but there was some hate directed towards female reviewers who said the movie sucked.

Wouldn't surprise me, but I wasn't following the movie (I absolutely despise Melissa McCarthy, who is almost as much of a comedy black hole as Jack Black) and know about Rolfe because I do watch a lot of his videos.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #123641 on: June 29, 2017, 12:19:24 pm »

Even leaving out feminism entirely, I've learned that if you don't enjoy every single trite, pandering film that comes out then you're just a snob who gets off on raining on someone's parade.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123642 on: June 29, 2017, 12:23:35 pm »

skeptics [...] sargon [...] pretty reasonable people overall
HAH
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123643 on: June 29, 2017, 12:27:28 pm »

Even leaving out feminism entirely, I've learned that if you don't enjoy every single trite, pandering film that comes out then you're just a snob who gets off on raining on someone's parade.

On one of the better anime clubs on myanimelist, someone was addressing this.

If you watch an episode of an anime then say you didn't like it, fanboys call you a "hater" and say you haven't seen the good bits yet: "how can you judge the show without seeing the whole thing?". Then ... if you say "ok" and sit through the rest, and still don't like it, now you're a "no life hater" who just sat through something determined to hate if from the start: "why did you even keep watching it if you didn't like it at the start?" So ... this way they can rubbish negative reviews of their favorite shows no matter whether you sat down and watched the whole thing or not. e.g. they give you a no-win situation to dismiss negative reviews.

I'm the opposite actually, if someone does a really negative review of a show i liked, i try and rethink how i feel about the show, taking on board the criticisms. In the end you just have to accept all positive and negative opinions as valid and just agree YMMV. Something that's a gamestopping flaw to some other people is stuff I either don't notice or don't care about. That doesn't mean their criticism is invalid. YMMV.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 12:32:43 pm by Reelya »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #123644 on: June 29, 2017, 12:48:24 pm »

I tend to avoid any kind of political discussion entirely because most of the time you've got at least one person on either side who is flinging mud with varying degrees of subtlety and I just can't stand that kind of behavior, which is why I gravitate towards things that are apolitical.

On one of the better anime clubs on myanimelist, someone was addressing this.

If you watch an episode of an anime then say you didn't like it, fanboys call you a "hater" and say you haven't seen the good bits yet: "how can you judge the show without seeing the whole thing?". Then ... if you say "ok" and sit through the rest, and still don't like it, now you're a "no life hater" who just sat through something determined to hate if from the start, and why did you even keep watching it if you didn't like how it started? So ... this way they can rubbish negative reviews of their favorite shows no matter whether you sat down and watched the whole thing or not. e.g. they give you a no-win situation to dismiss negative reviews.
To be fair a lot of critics don't know how to deliver criticism diplomatically, which can be challenging especially when the subject is really deserving of hate, but I feel that, while there are absolutely mindless fans out there as you describe, critics are also to blame as they often fail to balance their reviews with good things they noticed, or on the opposite end are needlessly apologetic and obsequious when it comes to delivering their criticisms, but that's kind of getting into the more entertainment/professional critique aspect of things. It's why I watch hhbomberguy when he's in my recommended videos (because he makes interesting points sometimes) but I don't subscribe to or support him at all (because he can be really obnoxious and needlessly hateful at times).

I'm the opposite actually, if someone does a really negative review of a show i liked, i try and rethink how i feel about the show, taking on board the criticisms. In the end you just have to accept all positive and negative opinions as valid and just agree YMMV. Something that's a gamestopping flaw to some other people is stuff I either don't notice or don't care about. That doesn't mean their criticism is invalid. YMMV.
You're totally on point with learning to balance positive and negative opinions with your own, and I've had that thing you describe where I watched or played something and loved it then read a biting criticism that I reluctantly realize is accurate, but people can definitely have invalid opinions. You can't form an opinion based on false information then share it with people and say it can't be invalidated because it's an opinion. It's rare to run into an opinion that is scientifically wrong but it does happen.
Pages: 1 ... 8241 8242 [8243] 8244 8245 ... 11037