Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8240 8241 [8242] 8243 8244 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14524090 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123615 on: June 28, 2017, 10:53:32 pm »

Or they/their parent gets bought out by radicals and turned into propaganda rags. See: Kotaku.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #123616 on: June 29, 2017, 01:20:10 am »

Truean was a lawyer, but IIRC she was getting incredibly burned out and was trying to switch careers.
From her posts, either she's still a lawyer or she's a very intense person in general.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123617 on: June 29, 2017, 04:07:27 am »

Or they/their parent gets bought out by radicals and turned into propaganda rags. See: Kotaku.

On that note, I've been eating a lot of popcorn while watching Youtube explode with all the drama. Popular feminist Laci Green hung out with some alt-right people to "bridge the gap" and open a dialogue, now she's getting doxxed by sjw's, death threats, accusations. Just for hanging out with some people with different opinions. Similar situation Cassie Jaye, who got "excommunicated" from feminism for even talking to MRAs to make The Red Pill movie, even before she started filming it. The irony is that the same people in both cases were falling all over these people as the best thing since sliced bread. But as soon as they're open to even talking to someone from another group, they're being demonized.

The irony: it's mostly male feminists/sjws who are doing the "with us or against us" attacks, against mainly women who are what I would call "normal feminists with a brain". Recently it feels like more and more feminist people are jumping ship because of abuse they get from their own side (more often from male sjw zealots than female ones) :/
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:27:10 am by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #123618 on: June 29, 2017, 04:22:33 am »

I've seen (personally, not internet) quite a few guys go hard-feminist in the belief that it will help them "score". Because their motives are fundamentally shallow, and they don't really care about the issue's they're talking about, they ape the loudest part of the group in the belief that this is how people want them to behave - similar to people that switch religions for social reasons and immediately start acting like the worst stereotypes of the religion they're switching to.

After a while, this internalizes and they start to really think that way instead of just putting on an act - which is a positive feedback loop because the next set of people to do the same thing have a louder, nastier stereotype to base their mask on.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123619 on: June 29, 2017, 04:39:20 am »

On that note, I saw a poll which said only 7% of UK self-identify as a feminists. how does the feminist who wrote the article rationalize this? With "Britain is a nation of 'hidden feminists' " So what does she base this on?

The Fawcett Society, a leading feminist charity, found Britain to be a nation of ‘hidden feminists’. When split out by gender, women were more likely to identify as feminist, with nine per cent using the label compared to four per cent of men. But men were more supportive generally of equality between the sexes - 86 per cent wanted it for the women in their lives - compared to 74 per cent of women. Younger women were more likely to call themselves feminist, with 19 per cent aged 18-24 using the word, but they were also most likely to oppose feminism.

Men ... were more supporting of the notion of gender equality than women were. That fundamentally contradicts one of the core tenets of feminist patriarchy theory. Men are in fact more comfortable with women taking on social / work responsibilities than women are. And that's because if you look at surveys of working women, 67% of mothers want to work less, not more, and they tend to work less hours than men already. Women don't in fact want "equal at all costs". Most women don't in fact want the wage slave existence that would be needed to close the wage gap. Most women don't even want what feminism is selling. It's the men who tend not to really care one way or the other.

... So everyone should call themselves feminists because almost everyone already believes in gender equality. Oh why won't they call themselves feminists? *hand wringing* ... Maybe it's because most people reject the piles and piles of conspiracy theories and witch hunts, which are also part of feminism. Plus most women think that the "solutions" offered by feminism are in fact the opposite of what they want in their lives.

here's an analogy. Imagine if only 7% of your nation identified themselves as Christians, yet 86% agreed that there was some "spiritual" nature to humanity. Then the Christians said "we're a nation of 'hidden Christians' " ... we'd tell them to go fuck themsevles. Christianity doesn't "own" the concept of 'spiritual'. And clearly given the data, feminism doesn't "own" the concept of equality. But they sure want you to think that they do. Therefore "feminism with us or against us" is clearly on the level of a cult/religious belief. People who say "no" to feminism just do not fit the stereotypes that they'd have you believe.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 05:05:58 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123620 on: June 29, 2017, 04:46:01 am »

Or maybe because we have LOOOOONG since evolved from the days where "Women should be allowed to vote, and should earn the same as men who do the same amount of work" could have been considered radical... Where feminist meant that you weren't going to put up with that garbage.

Skipping to today, now, Feminism is "Essentially" a political Party onto itself (well ok like 20 entirely different parties many of which are antagonistic towards each other)

Asking why someone who believes in female equality isn't a feminist is like asking why someone who believes in welfare isn't a Democrat or Liberal... Or asking why someone who believes in Animal rights isn't part of PETA. Only crazy psychos go "Ohh you believe faith gives you a foundation in morality? Well that means you believe in a religious totalitarian regime"

In fact I'd be more willing to accept that most people who profess they are Feminist aren't REALLY Feminist (As in they take the badge but don't understand its significance, or care) versus saying that people who believe in women's rights are secretly feminist.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:48:06 am by Neonivek »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #123621 on: June 29, 2017, 05:15:47 am »

did a politics thread get locked again

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123622 on: June 29, 2017, 05:18:45 am »

did a politics thread get locked again

The Politics thread and the Gender Thread doesn't consider feminism to be part of their purview :P

Not kidding :P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123623 on: June 29, 2017, 06:17:13 am »

And opening a "My magic vagina makes me special" (my take on modern feminism, vs the sensible equality of first wave feminists.)  thread will surely get it closed instantly.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123624 on: June 29, 2017, 06:34:06 am »

You guys are strawmaning a little. Though there hasn't been a general feminism thread and such a thread likely would get locked, there have been separate threads discussing feminist issues (or at least one) and they did fine. Then again, I don't think this topic is really something worth making an entire thread over so I think it's fine to post it in the WTF thread.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123625 on: June 29, 2017, 06:51:07 am »

You guys are strawmaning a little.

Does that include me? Because I don't remember even saying anything against Feminism this time.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123626 on: June 29, 2017, 06:54:22 am »

I can confirm the people attacking laci green really are angry internet feminists. And she didnt even talk to many actual alt right people, mostly just skeptics like sargon and co, which are pretty reasonable people overall. The people that attacked her are the kind of people that take sarkessian seriously.

Which reminds me that, at vidcon, sarkessian made sure to single out and harass sargon in public just out of the fact he dared to sit at the front row.

If these are the people that feminists are letting their flags get carried by, then its no wonder nobody sane take modern feminism seriously.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123627 on: June 29, 2017, 06:56:55 am »

Anita just wants attention. She isn't beyond stirring things up for a few extra seconds in the public eye. (and I am speaking in terms of her specifically.)

It is a similar move to when Kanye did it.

So I wouldn't take it as it being her personal view so much as... It was just a convenient target.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123628 on: June 29, 2017, 07:00:41 am »

You guys are strawmaning a little.
Does that include me? Because I don't remember even saying anything against Feminism this time.
Not you, just Weird. Of course naming a thread "My magic vagina makes me special" is going to get locked.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #123629 on: June 29, 2017, 07:02:37 am »

A few weeks ago I went to our local discount store, and they had some ultra cheap (2.50 euros) table fans with usb port (it draws power via usb instead of wall socket). I was really content with it, it helped keep me and my laptop cool during last week's heatwave.

So I got one for my mom too. Later that day, she called me in panic, saying her pc had died. Found out the battery had been drained to 0% (while plugged into the power circuit). Asked her to remove the fan and let it recharge for an hour or two. Works again now. I still have to check it out physically when I go visit this weekend, but it looks like cheap Lenovo laptops don't have enough juice to spare for an usb fan  :P
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 8240 8241 [8242] 8243 8244 ... 11037