Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14513626 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #12345 on: July 14, 2012, 12:21:53 pm »

"So, god doesn't exist?"

"Nope."

"Oh, cool."

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12346 on: July 14, 2012, 12:23:31 pm »

On a slightly more serious note, aren't there actual atheist gatherings? More of a support group than anything, iirc.

EDIT: Here we are.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:28:03 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12347 on: July 14, 2012, 12:25:18 pm »

Naw, that'd be more stereotypically agnostic. Stereotypically atheist would be very, very passionate about nothing.
Nah, those are inconsequentialism and nihilism.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12348 on: July 14, 2012, 12:43:24 pm »

On a slightly more serious note, aren't there actual atheist gatherings? More of a support group than anything, iirc.

EDIT: Here we are.
Yes, but those are actual Atheists. We're talking full religion Atheists... Somehow.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12349 on: July 14, 2012, 01:00:43 pm »

Define "full religion." There are plenty of religions who are very casual about it, and probably would have even less gatherings than those athiests. Not a "religion" in your eyes, then?
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12350 on: July 14, 2012, 01:08:52 pm »

Define "full religion." There are plenty of religions who are very casual about it, and probably would have even less gatherings than those athiests. Not a "religion" in your eyes, then?
"religion" implies there there is something being worshipped, a more correct term would be "belief system". I'm ignostic, so I don't really have a shoe on this horse.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12351 on: July 14, 2012, 01:19:14 pm »

Religion as in an organised structure of people believing in non belief, as opposed to having no belief. And everyone wearing pointy hats too.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12352 on: July 14, 2012, 01:26:35 pm »

Believing that nothing exists (outside the empirical) is a belief. It is a belief system, albeit an extremely simple one.

"No belief" would have no assertion, no conclusion.

Let's not get into a semantics argument though :P

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #12353 on: July 14, 2012, 01:31:42 pm »

"No belief" would have no assertion, no conclusion.

What if the believe is that since you can't know, the best way to act is as if there was no such a thing? Because whilst I can't know that there isn't an invisible unicorn in my garden, I'm still not going to try and avoid tripping up on it. I'd still call that Atheism (well, Aunicornism. Atheism if you extrapolate that system to deities).

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12354 on: July 14, 2012, 01:32:44 pm »

Agnostic Atheism would be that.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12355 on: July 14, 2012, 01:34:06 pm »

I'd call it agnosticism, since you accept the possibility of an invisible unicorn there.

And note that once you trip over it, you prove its existence, so it's not the best of comparisons to religion (none of which have been proven yet). If it was completely intangible too, then it'd make a better analogy, but I prefer elephants for my invisible intangible pets.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12356 on: July 14, 2012, 01:37:06 pm »

But what about Invisible yet pink unicorns?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12357 on: July 14, 2012, 01:37:51 pm »

How can something invisible have a color? :P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12358 on: July 14, 2012, 01:39:09 pm »

How can something invisible have a color? :P
Are you sure it doesn't?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12359 on: July 14, 2012, 01:42:22 pm »

I'd call it agnosticism, since you accept the possibility of an invisible unicorn there.

And note that once you trip over it, you prove its existence, so it's not the best of comparisons to religion (none of which have been proven yet). If it was completely intangible too, then it'd make a better analogy, but I prefer elephants for my invisible intangible pets.
Wait wait wait. I can trip over my own shoes sometimes. I'm pretty clumsy. I'd be far more likely to believe that I tripped over something else than an invisible pink unicorn.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 11037