Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8226 8227 [8228] 8229 8230 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14519438 times)

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #123405 on: June 19, 2017, 01:44:45 pm »

Especially given the reduction in mobility. Modern troops would have no trouble against plate armour unless there is also something like Kevlar on top or its a tank.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123406 on: June 19, 2017, 01:51:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have gone out of fashion so quickly if that was doable...
It was, certainly at first.
Plate armour was widely used until the end of the seventeenth century, and firearms had been around for a long time. Armourers would prove their armour against bullets, hence the term bulletproof.

Eventually the protective benefits of wearing armour was overcome by the cost of it and the increasing power of firearms, so armour was mainly restricted to cavalry, who still encountered a lot of melee combat.

Especially given the reduction in mobility. Modern troops would have no trouble against plate armour unless there is also something like Kevlar on top or its a tank.
Plate armour leaves one surprisingly mobile as the weight is distributed well. I've seen people do cartwheels in it.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #123407 on: June 19, 2017, 01:53:50 pm »

I like to wear armor plate because it protects me from hate.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123408 on: June 19, 2017, 01:59:33 pm »

Black lives matter.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #123409 on: June 19, 2017, 02:13:17 pm »

Plate armour leaves one surprisingly mobile as the weight is distributed well. I've seen people do cartwheels in it.
Plate armour is only cumbersome if it wasn't made or refitted for you specifically. A modern soldier in the Middle East carries more weight in gear than a knight back in the day. What it is, however, if very, very loud. (And all kinds of expensive, but you probably guessed that already)
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123410 on: June 19, 2017, 02:39:24 pm »

... well, you're getting closer, at least. Also I'm probably about to take a nap so whatever.

They didn't say what kind. Chain, plate, something else? With the normal extra layers or just the armor itself? Who the hell knows. Turns out the answer they were looking for was 50 lbs, so probably plate/field. Family that likes trying for it wanted me to look up the answer, and I was like. What. Did they say what sort of armor? No? Just "medieval"? The hell do you answer that besides picking something and guessing it was the one they were after?

The answer is you can't. Pick a number, see if it's what they want. You get one chance, hope you don't screw up.
Eh, to be fair, when a layman is talking to another layman about "medieval armour" it's a very safe bet that they're talking about plate armour. Knight in Shining Armour kinda territory.

e: Damnit someone got to you first.
Even then, there's a lot of variation in those armours. Was it made of iron? Of steel? Was it made to be bulletproof? How big was the wearer (because they had to be custom-fitted)? It is a pretty bullshit question.
I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have gone out of fashion so quickly if that was doable...

IIRC, there came a point where plate armour had to be made so thick to be bulletproof that knights couldn't really move without their warhorses. After one battle where the other side shot the horses and then sent out a bunch of guys with knives to slit the helpless knights' throats, people basically decided that bulletproof armour wasn't worth it.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123411 on: June 19, 2017, 03:44:42 pm »

I was digging through some old stuff of mine, and found a binder with technical documentation for old computer hardware - of the kind where the motherboard has space for a whopping 16MB of RAM. Not sure what to do with it. On the one hand, it's some college-level stuff, probably intended for a CompSci person. On the other, AnCIenT TeChnOlOgY.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #123412 on: June 19, 2017, 03:46:16 pm »

Eh, you can try selling it. Practically it's borderline useless as this point, though, so there's not much reason to keep it outside of amusement or whatev'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #123413 on: June 19, 2017, 03:54:05 pm »

I'd say hang on to it or donate/sell it to a technology museum or such.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #123414 on: June 19, 2017, 04:24:34 pm »

Kiss, my ass!

67-year old lead man of Kiss has decided to claim the exclusive use of the rock and roll 'devil's horns' gesture. He filed an application with the US Patent and Trademark Office.
He claims he was the first ever to use it, and wants to claim it's exclusive use at music performances and anything related to entertainment.

Rockers and rockfans around the world have already expressed disbelief.

Nte that it is also the symbol in American sign language for 'love'.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/06/15/gene-simmons-of-kiss-tries-to-trademark-the-sign-language-gesture-for-love/

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #123415 on: June 19, 2017, 04:52:42 pm »

He has always been a notorious conservative pundit
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123416 on: June 19, 2017, 05:46:41 pm »

Apparently in the Australian equivalent it means "gay", although I have no idea how true that is. :P

I'm pretty sure the singer of the band Coven was the first to use the gesture onstage. Gene Simmons is... well, he's a shit.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #123417 on: June 19, 2017, 06:24:16 pm »

Hey I remember Kiss from the Scooby-Doo halloween special wbu?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123418 on: June 19, 2017, 06:39:03 pm »

Kiss, my ass!

67-year old lead man of Kiss has decided to claim the exclusive use of the rock and roll 'devil's horns' gesture. He filed an application with the US Patent and Trademark Office.
He claims he was the first ever to use it, and wants to claim it's exclusive use at music performances and anything related to entertainment.

Rockers and rockfans around the world have already expressed disbelief.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/06/15/gene-simmons-of-kiss-tries-to-trademark-the-sign-language-gesture-for-love/
I'm pretty sure it was some kind of christian symbol before that. I'm also pretty sure you cant trademark a gesture.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #123419 on: June 19, 2017, 06:42:58 pm »

The oldest use I know of is as a peasant gesture to ward off the malocchio, or Evil Eye. This specifically is how it made it into heavy metal culture, as Ronnie James Dio introduced it to the subgenre as an alternative to Ozzy's peace sign when he took over as lead of Black Sabbath.

EDIT: Despite hating it unreasonably (because I wanted them to make WarCraft 4 instead), I've been developing an urge to try World of WarCraft. Partly this is because it is one of the oldest MMOs that still has a healthy fanbase and useable interface (I tried Everquest when that went F2P, and wasn't impressed), and another part is the huge cultural presense it has - it's the 8 kiloton gorilla of the MMO industry.

On the other hand, I could spend the same money to renew my subscription to FFXIV, which I liked a great deal.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 06:48:46 pm by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 8226 8227 [8228] 8229 8230 ... 11037