Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8196 8197 [8198] 8199 8200 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14513625 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #122955 on: June 08, 2017, 12:10:17 am »

It's not like political discourse is a protected category on a forum about the trials of alcoholic midgets and their neurotic overseers, so the point is moot.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122956 on: June 08, 2017, 12:52:34 am »

The sound of someone's brains being blown out is not exactly the most attractive thing in the game.
I beg to differ! Those be some of the most satisfying headshots in videogames, they be!
Crunchsplat!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #122957 on: June 08, 2017, 01:24:19 am »

there's a bird outside flying in circles screaming its fool head off. there's gotta be a predator in its nest or some shit. holy shit is it obnoxious.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122958 on: June 08, 2017, 04:27:24 am »

The sound of someone's brains being blown out is not exactly the most attractive thing in the game.
I beg to differ! Those be some of the most satisfying headshots in videogames, they be!
Crunchsplat!
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122959 on: June 08, 2017, 04:52:32 am »

It's not like political discourse is a protected category on a forum about the trials of alcoholic midgets and their neurotic overseers, so the point is moot.
Wait, what point are you referring to here?
I originally said "political discourse" in response to someone asking what happened in the Brexit thread, somebody claimed that it was not so, and I maintained that it was, in fact, political discussion that had led to the thread being locked, no matter how abhorrent the opinions involved may have been to all or most members of the forum.

Call me pedantic if you will. I had planned on making some longer, generic statement about the perils and pointlessness of political discussions to begin with and how it is best to avoid shitting up our otherwise affable community here, but it is difficult to condense any such lengthy sentiment down to fit the 120-character limit on my $15 phone's web browser. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #122960 on: June 08, 2017, 04:55:15 am »

Speaking of bans, some guy got banned on another forum I'm on. I had never paid attention to the threads they were the most active in, but looking at a mod's post in the ban thread about it... I think that's definitely one of the most messed up persons I've ever heard of.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122961 on: June 08, 2017, 05:20:19 am »

To be honest, from the brief look around I had, that entire community seems "messed up" in the extreme.   
I guess that shouldn't surprise, considering said community is devoted to the playing of Mafia... I imagine the level of stress and frayed nerves resulting from playing such a game regularly could lead to some interesting neuroses.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #122962 on: June 08, 2017, 07:41:22 am »

Incidentally? I'm starting to feel bad just for dismissing staff. I mean, they all seem to love Big Boss (yes, I know the spoilers. They're not relevant to my WTF) on an almost fanatical level.

What happens to them when you tell them they're fired? What do they do then? They can't exactly return to the army/private force. And working for a different private force would be out of the question after seeing that there's only one Big Boss (sort of if you count spoilers and the whole FOB game mechanic) - it just wouldn't be the same. How do they pay the bills? How do they explain what happened to their friends and family? How do they find a purpose in life if they're denied the chance to work for the legend?

The volunteers are even worse. If they wind up being B or lower grade, they're often just sent to the Waiting Room (whatever the hell that is) before they're ultimately told to get out. Just because they're not good enough.

The fact that I don't wanna wind up adding unneeded staff has, again, made me try going lethal, but as I put in my previous post, that feels wrong somehow.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #122963 on: June 08, 2017, 08:30:29 am »

I mean, real military organizations also screen people based on things beyond their control.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122964 on: June 08, 2017, 08:45:29 am »

I mean, there's no guarantee the "Waiting Room" is a literal room on MB that people exist inside of physically. It could be an abstraction of a unit's state of waiting, i.e. for acceptance and assignment to a platform. You can always think of volunteers as applying (and the ones that autojoin to a platform were just automatically accepted), if it makes you feel less bad.
Black lives matter.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122965 on: June 08, 2017, 08:52:41 am »

I've been raising some tadpoles indoors while trying to fix up the garden pond, and over the past week and a bit I've been getting the odd toadlet ready to go back outside. No biggy, I can just scoop up the little things and put them outside on the pond plants and let them get on with it.

Today one of them escaped before I could put it outside. Despite being about 4 milimetres long it managed to make it's way down a 3 foot set of shelves, upon which the tadpole tank is housed, then crawl four or five feet over a carpet, past or over a ton of boxes and books and wargaming minis, towards my lizard's terrarium. This took it only about 5 minutes, possibly less. It then sat perfectly happy on my bank card as I carried it outside, then wandered cheerfully onto a leaf and sat down.

I'm boggling at how far it managed to get so quickly with such tiny legs. Thing must have been able to scuttle like a spider or something, but I guess I should just be happy I didn't step on the little speed racer.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #122966 on: June 08, 2017, 10:40:16 am »

After some more consideration, I guess despite all the dirt I've heaped on it, I'll be getting into this Reelya's "language / predicate calculus style machine learning", after all. Studying normal machine learning just no longer really feels to me like I'm doing something useful, even a little bit.
._.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #122967 on: June 08, 2017, 12:02:55 pm »

Went to trim my yard, and I was halfway through the job when the feed spool on the trimmer exploded. Apparently 15 years of bump feeding (when the line wears away, you tap the spool on the ground to advance the line on most cheaper models, it is how they are designed) had weakened it so much that it couldn't take the centrifugal force anymore, as the parts I was able to locate were in several pieces.

I could buy a replacement spool for this model for about $20, or a much nicer model for around $40.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122968 on: June 08, 2017, 12:17:02 pm »

I would get a new machine, when one part has expired from standard use others won't be far behind. For instance my local council has spent more repairing my mother's boiler than it would have cost them to replace the whole thing because of how old it is.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #122969 on: June 08, 2017, 12:26:58 pm »

That's probably what I'm going to do, particularly since on further research I can get one for $30 instead of $40. That was part of the WTF, as you would expect to pay more than 10 extra dollars for a motor, frame, and other extra parts compared to two lumps of plastic and a spring.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 8196 8197 [8198] 8199 8200 ... 11037