Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8082 8083 [8084] 8085 8086 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14442120 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #121245 on: April 24, 2017, 01:28:23 am »

I'm always so curious about why emulators require so much backend.[...]
Backend?
Is that the wrong word?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #121246 on: April 24, 2017, 01:33:33 am »

Emulators need better booty to motivate them because their job is harder.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121247 on: April 24, 2017, 01:33:38 am »

Backend?
Is that the wrong word?
It's the correct word. English isn't Tir's first language, and we're getting into obscure sections of it and its technobabble.

Backend refers to how the effort and computer resources are used behind the scenes in order to make something work.  It specifically refers to the parts a normal user can't see.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #121248 on: April 24, 2017, 01:36:50 am »

Backend?
Is that the wrong word?
It's the correct word. English isn't Tir's first language, and we're getting into obscure sections of it and its technobabble.

Backend refers to how the effort and computer resources are used behind the scenes in order to make something work.  It specifically refers to the parts a normal user can't see.
You're wrong. Backend is where the back ends and the butt begins. Right there in the name
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121249 on: April 24, 2017, 01:38:27 am »

The medical term is the coccyx isn't it? :P

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #121250 on: April 24, 2017, 01:42:46 am »

I think that would actually be the sacrum, since there's a good argument to be made that the coccyx is a part of the butt. Certainly the butt is not directly appended to the coccyx (unless you have a very severe condition).

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121251 on: April 24, 2017, 01:47:29 am »

Sacrum is correct. Coccyx is the fused together vestigial tail section. It is necessary for you to sit down and the like, but it is not the lower back.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121252 on: April 24, 2017, 02:02:44 am »

I am definitely a demon popcorn cherubim in real life.

Popcorn?

All this time, I thought it was a scene I missed from this lovely gem!

Children's television today just isn't the same. :P

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #121253 on: April 24, 2017, 04:23:28 am »

I think that would actually be the sacrum, since there's a good argument to be made that the coccyx is a part of the butt. Certainly the butt is not directly appended to the coccyx (unless you have a very severe condition).

Yeh, cocksex isn't sacred
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #121254 on: April 24, 2017, 07:47:10 am »

my avatars usually fit my frame of mind when i apply them, and stay until im bored.

this one reflects my desire to gain physique and purpose once again; much as the migrant leaves his wornout pregenned home for life on the frontier.  on the eayhe witnesses a few atrocities, murders a few goblins, and finds a magic muddied thong he wears, no questions asked
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #121255 on: April 24, 2017, 08:24:13 am »

My avatar is an exact likeness not of my body, but of my inner soul.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121256 on: April 24, 2017, 10:26:09 am »

I was suffering from a pretty bad headache and stomach pain yesterday, and was looking through the medicine cabinets for some ibuprofen or aspirin. Noticed nearly all of it expired within the last year, and I don't really think taking medicine past its expiration date is a good idea. Actually found some that wasn't expired, but it didn't really help(a decent night's sleep cured it).

In hindsight, I found that funny, because my stepdad's friend is having a severe adverse reaction to some kind of eye drop medication. Most likely because it expired in 2003. He simply found it while going through his things, decided to use it without checking the date on it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121257 on: April 24, 2017, 10:47:58 am »

I find the whole 'modern video games making death an inconvenience' thing annoying.

Theres a lost sense of progress and accomplishment when death means you keep all your toys and try again.  No risk, no excitement, no eustress.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #121258 on: April 24, 2017, 10:54:48 am »

Well, is it any different if you just savescum? Any game that was difficult enough for there to be a real chance of failure, I savescummed like a devil and it was roughly the same. Games that are really difficult and don't have such a save mechanic usually have a very short iteration time, i.e. Mario levels that aren't very long at all provided you get them right on the first try.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121259 on: April 24, 2017, 11:07:32 am »

Besides the finality of death being removed ...

It makes it okay to die.  Or rather that dying is not failing.  You learn from failure.  idk.  its just part of the marketing of games to be more casual, forgiving, and less exciting.

For instance, Yes I have used save slots to progress through some games, but each time I lost I felt irritation.  The save screen itself was enough to produce a mild dislike of the situation.

Dying being an inconvenience means more obvious segmenting of a game - to me.  It minimalizes the time lost -> again not costing the player anything to encourage better play.

idk.  I suppose I could eventually get around to better wording my argument here, but without the failure having an air of permanence it feels exactly like a fantasy.  Whereas permadeath at least pretends to have a world of consequences the whole -respawning- mechanics, while served well in multiplayer games and such- produces a feeling of falsity and attempts to bring a powertrip that comes with actually being good at a game and kicking its ass without you actually being good at it.

It takes away from the psychological aspect that got me to play games in the first place.  The powertrip from games comes with defying death and reality with your skill and brutality, not from inherently being above it.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 8082 8083 [8084] 8085 8086 ... 11040