Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8079 8080 [8081] 8082 8083 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14443957 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #121200 on: April 23, 2017, 09:46:47 am »

It's Nintendo-funded propaganda since the BotW emulation is almost totally playable now.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121201 on: April 23, 2017, 09:53:15 am »

Well no, actually. There really aren't any switch emulators, and there are plenty of fake ones.

There's a working wiiu emulator though.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121202 on: April 23, 2017, 09:53:38 am »

On which system is emulated BotW almost totally playable, FD?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121203 on: April 23, 2017, 10:03:27 am »

From the examples I've seen on youtube, BotW was running almost at full FPS with no visible glitches on a regular gaming PC for today's standards, and thats a pretty impressive achievement, emulation wise.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #121204 on: April 23, 2017, 10:56:34 am »

On which system is emulated BotW almost totally playable, FD?

GTX 660 TI, i5 3500k, 8gb ram.

I get 15-20 FPS average, and I'm mostly through the game.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #121205 on: April 23, 2017, 10:59:19 am »

From the examples I've seen on youtube, BotW was running almost at full FPS with no visible glitches on a regular gaming PC for today's standards, and thats a pretty impressive achievement, emulation wise.

Yeah, no. My computer is a nice little beasty that can do silky sixty on most games. Like Japa, I get around 15fps, up to 25 on a good moment, but with frequent minor freezes.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121206 on: April 23, 2017, 11:05:14 am »

FFS people, I meant on which emulated console is BotW "almost totally playable". It was released on both the WiiU and the Switch. I'm not asking about computer specs.

Because if it's the WiiU version that is supposedly emulated and not the Switch version, then FD's dismissal of the news report is spurious as the news report was specifically warning about Switch emulation.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #121207 on: April 23, 2017, 11:28:14 am »

It is the Wiiu version.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121208 on: April 23, 2017, 11:34:36 am »

What the fuck augh I just found some horrifying fucking bug thing in my shoe and I dunno WTF it is.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121209 on: April 23, 2017, 11:51:00 am »

That... Wasn't even the problems I was talking about. But yes, if you haven't noticed the show is EXTREMELY politically slanted. The one episode with his uncle that flies the plane? It pretty much portrays the entirety of conservative thought as a pathetically condescending "I am scared and alone and don't like change" ; and how about the episode with the space zoo thing where it pretty much says that arranged marriage is the worst thing ever, and one character even has a speech about "on earth, we choose". Not all of earth buddy, just your bit of it.

I REALLY don't think that is what they were going for in either case.

I think the old guy was mostly supposed to be a sad tale about someone who tried to keep his family together and champion their traditions as they moved on, got their own families, and left him behind... Only to find that in the end he was the one who didn't have a place anymore. Yet remember that the episode specifically ends with Steven doing exactly the same thing and brings him back to the family. I SERIOUSLY don't think it was a knock on conservatism.

As for Arranged Marriage... Ignoring that the people on the station seem a LOOOT happier arranged (And really, as we see... Any marriage there is purely arbitrary)... I think it is more that Greg has a particularly small mindset. Though fine, that is one thing you can get cheesed off at. Then again... even Arranged marriage is chosen by humans and not be some voice outside of everyone telling them who to marry (In fact... is there a country out there with marriages dolled out by the central government?)

" he literally had a breakdown over squishing a bug"

The problem I personally think is his age. As a child that would have been an endearing trait.

As a 15 year old that is a weird thing for him to be caught up on.

THEN AGAIN! even I an adult don't like hurting bugs... and probably would have found it all needlessly cruel.

THEN AGAIN!!! The show's writers seem to write him like he was 8 and treat him like he was 8.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 11:55:20 am by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #121210 on: April 23, 2017, 12:02:30 pm »

FFS people, I meant on which emulated console is BotW "almost totally playable". It was released on both the WiiU and the Switch. I'm not asking about computer specs.

Because if it's the WiiU version that is supposedly emulated and not the Switch version, then FD's dismissal of the news report is spurious as the news report was specifically warning about Switch emulation.
Oh, I don't doubt that people are running scams with false Switch emulators. But I guarantee you that Nintendo are doing their damndest to stop a real one from ever emerging, and pumping up a story like this ahead of time helps kill interest among less savvy users. BotW being emulated kills the only real reason to buy a Switch, and any future quality Switch-exclusive titles that launch will need to stay un-cracked if they want to keep selling the console, because there's no good reason to buy one apart from the exclusives.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #121211 on: April 23, 2017, 12:40:24 pm »

or even downright insulting to other cultures or beliefs. Not to mention it's own internal problems. The story telling can be fantastic at times, but it tends to have a very high opinion of itself, and the story telling doesn't necessarily translate to a well espoused political message. Ehh.. Anyways...

O-o?

It uses Pastiches at best... I am PRETTY SURE Opal isn't meant to literally be Shiva.

And... Political message?

If anything the problem with Steven Universe is that Steven is slowly becoming the worst character on it. Being overly whiny and EXTREMELY freeken manipulative...

You sure you didn't mean Avatar? That show features other cultures more prominently (In more ways then "not meant to take seriously" symbolism) and was nothing but political messages. Or perhaps Adventure Time that includes other cultures only to make fun of them and had a FEW political messages?

Or maybe Gargoyles that featured an insulting caricature of a culture... and has a few political messages.

That... Wasn't even the problems I was talking about. But yes, if you haven't noticed the show is EXTREMELY politically slanted. The one episode with his uncle that flies the plane? It pretty much portrays the entirety of conservative thought as a pathetically condescending "I am scared and alone and don't like change" ; and how about the episode with the space zoo thing where it pretty much says that arranged marriage is the worst thing ever, and one character even has a speech about "on earth, we choose". Not all of earth buddy, just your bit of it.
The people in the zoo didn't have marriage.  They were straight up talking about sex.

Steven isn't a Mary Sue IMO, because he's not that powerful compared to everyone else, and he is actually wrong a decent amount of the time.  He does solve an obnoxiously high amount of episode plotlines, but that's more a function of the show's weird-for-TV insistence on being glued to his POV all the time.  I think part of the problem is that when his optimism turns out to be wrong, he usually get's bailed out and the consequences just happen to be useful in the long run (like the time he tried to talk down a villain and got almost crushed).

The whole "just yesterday you were crying about snakes" thing is heavily implied to come from his mom's gem, and that mindset has its flaws pointed out in basically every flashback episode involving her.  Seems to be working out pretty flawlessly for Steven so far tho...  I dunno, Steven has some Mary Sue aspects but I think its kinda hard to call him that when he's so weak and ignorant compared to the rest of the team.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #121212 on: April 23, 2017, 02:11:49 pm »

The people in the zoo didn't have marriage.  They were straight up talking about sex
I disagree. It is a kids show after all.
  Steven isn't a Mary Sue IMO... -snip snip for post berevity-

never said he was, simply that the writers refuse to give his character any moral shortcomings. Ever seen him be selfish? Or mean? Or even dismissive? He's a fricken kid after all. It's not that he's powerful, it's just that he is the entire shows morality 100% of the time, and it makes for an unconvincing, predictable and boring character.

IDK, he might be a little marry sue ish too. Season one finale, when the ship beats everyone but then he runs up and stops it like no big deal? I take your point though.

Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121213 on: April 23, 2017, 02:13:01 pm »

Ever seen him be selfish? Or mean? Or even dismissive?

Yep... definitely have.

Though I sense a slight double standard here :P

Were Steven a little girl instead of a boy... >_>... I mean his role is as the heart of the team and the one who is meant to keep the peace.

Though the problem I have is Steven whines and rants too much... and uses emotional manipulation to get his way a LOT of the time.

---

Mind you I don't put a lot of stock in "afraid to give them flaws".

EVERY single time Fineas and Ferb made Fineas lose his temper (all two times) were the most uncomfortable moments in the entire show.

Flaws can make a character better... but they aren't a recipe to making a good or even great character. I mean which is the better Batman... "Beware The Batman" where they treated him like a borderline psychopath? Or Justice League Batman where he was a paragon?

Steven doesn't need to be a mean person or need to look bad.

Want proof? Kevin... His whole Rivalry with Kevin FELT out of character. All he did was make him feel uncomfortable yet Steven, the least vindictive person in the universe, is treating him like he sexually assaulted him... He treats Kevin worse than he does Jasper.

Though Steven feels like the writers treat him like he is of two entirely different ages between 6-16. I honestly was astonished he was 15.

I think what they do need to do is CALL STEVEN OUT on his current actions.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 02:27:03 pm by Neonivek »

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #121214 on: April 23, 2017, 02:21:17 pm »

Oh, whoops. I totally thought enigmatic hat was you. Sorry neonivek. I don't know if I have time to type another reply on my phone before work, so consider this a placeholder.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
Pages: 1 ... 8079 8080 [8081] 8082 8083 ... 11040