Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8037 8038 [8039] 8040 8041 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14544110 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #120570 on: April 07, 2017, 06:17:43 pm »

Ron had a sometimes cruel sense of humour, was sometimes lazy and sometimes selfish. None to a truly detrimental effect, but I've often thought that in other circumstances he could have been a bit of a meanie.

Though I now realise I was ninjad.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120571 on: April 07, 2017, 06:20:30 pm »

Slitherine are the point and click adventure characters house anyhow. Their major talents are bilateral thinking and the willingness to do things not strictly part of the rules.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #120572 on: April 07, 2017, 06:30:33 pm »

Hufflepuff House is, according to the Sorting hat is made up of "hard workers", "loyal", and "the rest".

One thing I noticed about HP is that the the three main leads and Neville perfectly embody the virtues and vices of the four Houses, with Harry being Griffindor, Ron being Slytherin, Hermione being Ravenclaw, and Neville being Hufflepuff

How do you see Slytherin in Ron? I'd have put Harry in Slytherin and Ron in Griffindor myself.

Harry was far too much "Honor before Reason" to go in Slytherin. His most defining feature was extreme, often reckless, bravery in Doing The Right Thing. Harry was willing to break rules on a small, meaningless scale, but the thought of doing any real wrong horrified him. Ron had much less empathy (he's noted in-inverse for having a somewhat cruel sense of humor), less loyalty (witness book 4, where he dropped Harry like a hot potato because Harry was yet again getting unwanted glory, and he was incredibly ambitious.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120573 on: April 07, 2017, 07:01:39 pm »

Slitherine isn't being "screw the rules" criminality :P

As for breaking the rules on a small meaningless scale... uhhhh... Well I guess he didn't murder anyone (sort of)... But I am PRETTY sure he broke several rules that would have got him expelled, tortured, or killed.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #120574 on: April 07, 2017, 07:20:40 pm »

I imagine Slytherin remaining as a house and institution mostly on account of all the former Slytherin parents putting pressure on the board. They would not want their children going soft, after all. I like to imagine all those things that the board must have fought long and hard against team snek to pass.
-"Come off it! Of course they should be allowed to catch and set fire a few Hufflepuffers on St. Mongo's Night! It did me good! It made me the man that I am today!"

I also like to imagine Hufflepuff once being maintained as a bullying pool; a place where the lower class children go, so that their betters have some people to do their chores and be readily available test subjects.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120575 on: April 07, 2017, 07:23:59 pm »

Slitherine is more misunderstood than bad. MOST heroes in fiction would be Slitherine... Protesters and whistleblowers would also be Slitherine. The people who ran the underground railroad would be Slitherine.

People who don't prescribe that something is good just because it is a rule or law.

There is genuine heroic qualities in Slitherine. Harry Potter is meant to exemplify both Griffindor and Slitherine.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 07:26:19 pm by Neonivek »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #120576 on: April 07, 2017, 07:26:06 pm »

As for breaking the rules on a small meaningless scale... uhhhh... Well I guess he didn't murder anyone (sort of)... But I am PRETTY sure he broke several rules that would have got him expelled, tortured, or killed.

Any serious rule breaking Harry did was to Do Right. Apart from trying to keep Hagrid out of trouble, or thwarting This Year's Evil Plot, he copied homework, snuck out of school to buy candy, and ran around the school at night a few times.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120577 on: April 07, 2017, 07:27:28 pm »

Any serious rule breaking Harry did was to Do Right. Apart from trying to keep Hagrid out of trouble, or thwarting This Year's Evil Plot, he copied homework, snuck out of school to buy candy, and ran around the school at night a few times.

What makes you think the point of Slitherine is to break the rules for breaking the rules sake?

Breaking rules to "Do Right" is a Slitherine virtue.

Yes their propensity to bending, breaking, or remaking the rules can lead to some dark places... But all the houses can be bent towards evil... Though all the evil people sans one being from Slitherine... doesn't help that case... but narrative causality and all that.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 07:30:01 pm by Neonivek »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120578 on: April 07, 2017, 07:28:46 pm »

It's spelled Slytherin.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #120579 on: April 07, 2017, 07:37:30 pm »

I haven't ready any of the books, and basically forgot the first movie after seeing it, but Neonivek's point sure sounds solid (with an assumption that Slitherin isn't literally just lying for lying's sake, because that would be lazy characterization).
I assume each official house is supposed to "do good", just by different methods.

And then pitted against each other because this is basically just like my japanese high-school animes.

Also, Harry copied homework?  Wow.  I cheated a little, don't get me wrong, but that's kinda fucked up for the supposed hero of such a popular children's franchise.

Though Neo...  I see you edited out the part about Hufflepuff...  Maybe because you realized that laborers can be just as evil as the rest.  As minions, if nothing else :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #120580 on: April 07, 2017, 07:47:24 pm »

What makes you think the point of Slitherine is to break the rules for breaking the rules sake?

Breaking rules to "Do Right" is a Slitherine virtue.

Yes their propensity to bending, breaking, or remaking the rules can lead to some dark places... But all the houses can be bent towards evil... Though all the evil people sans one being from Slitherine... doesn't help that case... but narrative causality and all that.

Pretty much every Slitherin we get a good look at considers themselves "above the law" except in cases where it is literally "I AM the law". Young Snape not only studied Dark Magic but invented new (and nasty) Dark spells. Young Tom Riddle spent years searching for a forbidden secret, then framed Hagrid for opening it before indulging in forbidden research. Both Malfoy and his father (a former Slytherin) used the family's wealth to make themselves essentially untouchable. Slughorn obviously cared only for making connections, regardless of how they came, and cheerfully covered things up for his useful favorites. "Screw the rules, I have X" is a very prominent trait.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120581 on: April 07, 2017, 07:54:07 pm »

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120582 on: April 07, 2017, 07:58:06 pm »

Let's just go with sitherin. Sitherinurendo.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120583 on: April 07, 2017, 08:01:11 pm »

Pretty much every Slytherin we get a good look at considers themselves "above the law" except in cases where it is literally "I AM the law".

Judge Dredd is a Slytherin.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120584 on: April 07, 2017, 08:27:28 pm »

Pretty much every Slytherin we get a good look at considers themselves "above the law" except in cases where it is literally "I AM the law".

Judge Dredd is a Slytherin.

Batman is Slitherine.
Pages: 1 ... 8037 8038 [8039] 8040 8041 ... 11037