Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7965 7966 [7967] 7968 7969 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14515017 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #119490 on: March 18, 2017, 09:15:30 pm »

Sorry I just wanted to give a WTF that I remembered from a long time ago.

So yeah 50 shades of grey... I won't focus much on it because what happens in the book isn't EXACTLY my WTF.

What has perplexed me to this day... is that a character in the book (Christian Grey) is so paint by numbers abusive, almost like the book was written for classes to analyze... That to this say I SERIOUSLY wonder if the Author has been abused.

If that was ever revealed (or that she was an abuser herself) I'd be like "KNEW IT!"

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119491 on: March 18, 2017, 09:19:38 pm »

Probably she just did some research on the psychological profile of such a person and copied it 1:1 because that's easy. That, and deeply nuanced characterization doesn't have much of an effect on how people rate a work of BDSM erotica.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119492 on: March 18, 2017, 09:25:04 pm »

My WTF about 50 Shades of Grey was that it got a sequel.

It really depends on the busybodyness of the school, really. I never saw someone be written up for anything less than violence.
Oh, in my case, it was violence. Only I was the one punched, the other kid claimed I hit him despite the entire room(of ~20 people) witnessing and saying I did absolutely nothing - he literally attacked me out of nowhere. Despite that, the school tried to claim I initiated the fight.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119493 on: March 18, 2017, 09:28:15 pm »

I found this while i was surfing: http://1cak.com/2003356 . Yall can guess which country i am in.

I don't really understand, but i'll try to explain it: It was an ad. Top means "Language Doctor"(How can someone be a doctor of language?). There is nothing interesting at the middle(you can ask), but the selling point, the one in the red box roughly means "2 months guaranteed world domination".

What language is that? I guess it might be an attempt at translating the word 'linguist'. Or maybe it's a misinterpreted 'speech therapist'. editwhiletyping: Or maybe translation services? I can see Korea (korean language) and Ferancis (French?). The top one is maybe Arab, but it's so blurred it looks like Aaab.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119494 on: March 18, 2017, 09:28:49 pm »

Probably she just did some research on the psychological profile of such a person and copied it 1:1 because that's easy. That, and deeply nuanced characterization doesn't have much of an effect on how people rate a work of BDSM erotica.

She actually just mindlessly imitated Twilight.  And Twilight itself had these themes.

The entire novel literally started out as a Twilight fan fiction, and was only retconned into being a separate thing when the author realized it had broad market appeal.

I'm no fan of the work itself, but the author is a canny businesswoman and very cleverly and successfully marketed a derivative work.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119495 on: March 18, 2017, 09:52:06 pm »

Yeah Twilight had those themes...

In the sense that Edward stalked her to an extent, watched her sleep, and did the whole "Forgive me forgive me! look I'll change" dance. Not to mention while some of the things Edward did was creepy and stalker behavior it wasn't realistic behavior.

But it was never anywhere CLOSE to even entering the same planet as 50 shades. As I said 50 shades is paint by numbers!

Twilight never had a scene where Bella was just trying to eat a dinner but was nearly having a mental break down because Edward was going to abuse her if she made him even slightly unhappy.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #119496 on: March 18, 2017, 10:03:39 pm »

You don't actually need any firsthand knowledge of abuse on a personal level to know the effects it has on someone, for one it's easy to look up. And second well... It's very common, even if you don't know it yourself you might know someone who does.

Says more about society at large than the writer really.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119497 on: March 18, 2017, 10:08:05 pm »

You don't actually need any firsthand knowledge of abuse on a personal level to know the effects it has on someone, for one it's easy to look up. And second well... It's very common, even if you don't know it yourself you might know someone who does.

Says more about society at large than the writer really.

One or two scenes... yeah...

But when I say paint by numbers... I mean... If there was required reading for a university class on abusive relationships... 50 Shades could be a case study.

It is scary how true to life it often gets. Some of the dialog almost feels like it was copied verbatim from a abuser's mouth.

Twilight pales in comparison... Which is actually a funny pun.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 10:10:38 pm by Neonivek »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #119498 on: March 18, 2017, 10:10:16 pm »

Vampire abuse, however, is not so common.

How much blood do you have to drink from a willing participant before it becomes gross negligence? Also, is there anything illegal about manipulating someone to give up their blood through supernatural charisma?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #119499 on: March 18, 2017, 10:12:00 pm »

I believe those questions have real legal answers. >.>
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119500 on: March 18, 2017, 10:13:19 pm »

Also in Twilight there wasn't a lot of Siring or blood puppets.

MOSTLY because Vampires in that universe cannot safely drink blood from willing participants to my knowledge.

Hence why the vegetarian vampires ate meat.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #119501 on: March 18, 2017, 10:17:43 pm »

Fuck me, I actually forgot how stupid Twilight's vampire standards were until you said that.

What have you done? I was free, for so many years, and now again I am burdened with the knowledge that this was published as literature!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #119502 on: March 19, 2017, 12:09:07 am »

How much blood do you have to drink from a willing participant before it becomes gross negligence?

I'd think that laws regarding blood donations and similar medical procedures apply. So vampires would only need a CNA license, to become employed by an organization handling blood donations and an excuse to draw blood and then "dispose" of it that is believable and which nobody else can argue with/witnessed. Everything's legal, can't prove any wrongdoing, just keep their coworkers from becoming suspicious and otherwise follow the rules with the exception of improperly disposing of bodily fluids.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #119503 on: March 19, 2017, 12:10:53 am »

I believe those questions have real legal answers. >.>
And yet I'm sure asking a lawyer how much blood can be consensually consumed before it becomes grossly negligent is the best way possible to get a rise out of even the most jaded of lawyers.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #119504 on: March 19, 2017, 12:13:22 am »

Hey resident lawyer dudes! How much blood can we take before getting into trouble?!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 7965 7966 [7967] 7968 7969 ... 11037