Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494670 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #11925 on: July 05, 2012, 09:49:06 am »

It was the EU. I think it mostly worked by everyone ignoring it. I do not pretend to understand how the crazy EU shit works, though.

Or the European Parliament? I assume that is EU? I dunno!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #11926 on: July 05, 2012, 09:51:34 am »

Apparently Europe once banned caches on computers. Huh.
Huhwhat?! When? How?

And secondly: There is no Europe that makes Laws. That the USA is calling itself "America" doesn't mean the EU can be referred to as "Europe"

he is probably referring to a ruling that went along the lines of creating a copy of a digital work in memory constituted copyright infringement.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11927 on: July 05, 2012, 09:58:46 am »

From what I understand, that was the intent, yes, but the ultimate result was effectively a ban on certain types of caches (network level caching) and severe restrictions on other types.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11928 on: July 05, 2012, 10:07:23 am »

Read in the paper somewhere that someone stole a physical CD. I thought they did that on the internet these days but then again what do I know.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:57:51 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11929 on: July 05, 2012, 10:16:26 am »

It was the EU. I think it mostly worked by everyone ignoring it. I do not pretend to understand how the crazy EU shit works, though.

Or the European Parliament? I assume that is EU? I dunno!
The EU primarily consists of a Council, Commission and Parliament. The Commission does the day-to-day stuff, is non-democratic, and hates Parliament. Parliament is democratic, gets to shoot down everything the Commission is trying to push through (such as ACTA). Then there's the European Council, which has no real legislative power, but is more a collection of the heads of states, and does both long-term strategic politics and crisis stuff. The European Council is not to be confused with the Council of the European Union, consisting of the ministers of the states, depending on the subject and their portfolios. And then there's tons of other commissions, regulation organs, think tanks, temporary and semi-permanent committees, etc. and nobody knows what it's all about anymore.

The ruling he refers to (I think) was in order to stop internetproviders from providing caches to illegal downloads. The one I used to work for actually had a caching server to accommodate the popular downloads of the then-popular p2p networks (emule or kazaa or whatever it was back then). That went a bit too far for some people. But then, newsgroups that had been around since day 2, also cache stuff, and those would also become illegal because the binaries they provide can't reliably be filtered for illegal content. I don't know what the status of that whole thing is now, though, that was years back.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11930 on: July 05, 2012, 10:19:26 am »

That's probably it, then.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11931 on: July 05, 2012, 10:19:39 am »

The only article I could find on it was from 1999 so... yeah, quite a while ago.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11932 on: July 05, 2012, 10:21:59 am »

Hence the 'once' - I did notice it was a while ago, but had no idea what the current standing was.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11933 on: July 05, 2012, 10:22:06 am »

Is it ironic that the article/ruling itself doesnt appear to be chaced somewhere?
This is a blank sig.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11934 on: July 05, 2012, 10:52:02 am »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:56:24 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11935 on: July 05, 2012, 10:54:02 am »

Other human beings and lawyers...
Lawyers aren't human? I knew it!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11936 on: July 05, 2012, 10:54:31 am »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:57:03 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11937 on: July 05, 2012, 10:56:45 am »

Plagiarism anywhere else is "best practices" in law.... He charged nearly $1500 for what I wrote. When I wrote it two years ago, I charged $400.... I sincerely hate other lawyers and am unable to understand why people deal with them rather than me, who is better and cheaper.
Because thinking is hard, and cheaper means worse, right?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11938 on: July 05, 2012, 10:59:49 am »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 11037