Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7934 7935 [7936] 7937 7938 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14503689 times)

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #119025 on: March 06, 2017, 09:04:36 pm »

I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say that you should.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #119026 on: March 06, 2017, 09:10:18 pm »

Sounds like the only thing missing was a man with a chainsaw and a bag on his head.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119027 on: March 06, 2017, 09:17:29 pm »

Was the prefab owned by some kind of ultra-poor non-for-profit?
If so, I guess that's the only reason not to.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119028 on: March 06, 2017, 09:23:24 pm »

I have no idea who owned it, but the business the pre-fab was installed at was some sort of Pepsi and/or Gatorade manufacturing plant.

So I doubt they were *that* poor.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #119029 on: March 06, 2017, 09:39:36 pm »

I'm not sure whether to interpret that as a good thing (the sensation of being buzzed boosts the buzz from performing well?) or as a bad thing (the sensation of drunkenness blocks out the inevitable rage and tilting?).
Think it's more giving less of a shit about your teammates or noticing (or caring about) how well you're playing, tbh, least from what I've seen of the occasional fellow playing those games while buzzed/drunk. It does indeed often seem like the person drinking is enjoying themselves more, or at the absolute least thinking they are and just more or less unable to recall their enjoyments while sober. The people playing with them, on the other hand, is rather considerably more miss and hit >_>

Though it's always kinda' interesting in an odd way when they comment they feel like they're playing better, 'cause they're next to universally not actually doing so :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119030 on: March 06, 2017, 11:14:02 pm »

I mean with a game like Dark Souls or something, you DO have (sort of, there are better games for this but still) a way to like, verify how well you're doing. Can come back later, see how far you got, how many souls you have, items you've found, your level and where it's been spent.

In something like Counter Strike or Team Fortress there's not really a papertrail of sorts.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119031 on: March 06, 2017, 11:23:18 pm »

Wait, weren't we talking about a single beer? ???
It'd be strange enough to get noticeably drunk off just that (unless the beer in question is huge), but reaching the point where you can't even remember whether you did well or not in the game would be seriously concerning.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119032 on: March 06, 2017, 11:28:48 pm »

my computer crashed, weird. all i was doing was listing to a you tube video and reading the steam forums. then suddenly neo-blue-screen-of-death but with :( and a error message instead of tons of random code.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #119033 on: March 06, 2017, 11:46:31 pm »

Now, if there was a code (which is not actually random), I could Google it and say what was the cause of the error, but because Microsoft are a bunch of hipster pricks nowadays, I can't!
._.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119034 on: March 06, 2017, 11:46:40 pm »

It'd be strange enough to get noticeably drunk off just that (unless the beer in question is huge), but reaching the point where you can't even remember whether you did well or not in the game would be seriously concerning.   
Well, no, Frumple was talking about not being able to tell whether you were actually doing well... Literally the post before mine. Think that's fairly obvious that's what I was working off of. Wasn't speaking to memory, just bias.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119035 on: March 06, 2017, 11:49:47 pm »

Now, if there was a code (which is not actually random), I could Google it and say what was the cause of the error, but because Microsoft are a bunch of hipster pricks nowadays, I can't!
it had a QR code. my phone is not set up to read those so no idea. my computer also restarts in like 10 seconds so it wasn't a big deal. if it doesn't happen again then it was just a random glitch.

the :( on the error screen was weird but i have to say the update screen that says hello is much creepier.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:58:42 pm by redwallzyl »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #119036 on: March 07, 2017, 12:01:17 am »

I mean with a game like Dark Souls or something, you DO have (sort of, there are better games for this but still) a way to like, verify how well you're doing. Can come back later, see how far you got, how many souls you have, items you've found, your level and where it's been spent.

In something like Counter Strike or Team Fortress there's not really a papertrail of sorts.

A lot of servers have point-tracking ranking systems. I remember one CS:S server where I ended up in the top-fifteen for a group with hundreds of active players (and then I got blanket permabanned on a server different from my regular one by some dipshit trainee mod, hue), by that point you could definitely track how well you'd been doing when you had hundreds of hours of history on that server to compare with.

'course it was still vague, since there was no way to know if you were running around noscoping people with a scout, using only mac-10 to make other people feel like casuls, or just cheesing with the p90 if you were plastered.

Mostly the key moments in other stuff like jailbreak and zescape stuck out even when you were out of sorts, though. Those highs were really goddamn high, mostly because of how shit the baseline was.

Man, there's my WTF. I miss playing jailbreak and zescape so much. Fun shit. Don't remember what servers I used to run on, but they were good ones. Some of those maps were just absurdly detailed for what they were.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #119037 on: March 07, 2017, 12:25:20 am »

Well, no, Frumple was talking about not being able to tell whether you were actually doing well... Literally the post before mine. Think that's fairly obvious that's what I was working off of. Wasn't speaking to memory, just bias.
Aye, this. Not so much not remembering as misremembering, heh. Not necessarily substantially, either, but enough where an unintoxicated third party can tell you're not assessing things accurately if they're paying much attention.

Though the metrics you mentioned can be kinda' iffy, desc. It's entirely possible to progress more while playing worse, not so much because your reactions or decision making isn't getting worse, but because your down time or care and whathaveyou is less. Sometimes yolo gets you better quantitative results despite dying/sucking/etc. more, just cause you're throwing yourself into things faster or burning resources you're probably going to need later or whatev'. Doing stupid stuff and just happening to have the RNG fall in your favor, so on, so forth. Other kinds of stat tracking can pin it down a bit better, though. Hit/miss type stuff, speed/accuracy of inputs, damage taken under certain conditions, that sort of thing, preferably measured against previous data (or, arguably better, future data, since becoming more experienced/familiar is a thing, and it may be you improve enough between the data points that even hindered you perform relatively better).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119038 on: March 07, 2017, 12:43:29 am »

I wasn't responding directly to Descan's post, just the last few on the subject.   
Generally it's pretty easy to reach a point where you are lightly buzzed, making the game less stressful, without actually impairing your motor skills. Some games require absolute concentration which obviously becomes harder the more you drink, but at that sweet spot it's still possible to give the game your full concentration (indeed, I haven't tested it enough but sometimes being buzzed helps me to become more "in the zone" than I would normally, since it's easier to ignore outside distractions) and simply lose whatever frustration or stress the game might cause.

It's possible that playing buzzed makes you better at games that you normally find frustrating (for me at least, my performance in-game suffers once I start getting frustrated with it), yet doesn't help (as much, or at all?) with games that you're already great at. Who knows.
Man, I wish I had booze right now. And a system to game on. I'd do all kinds of research...   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #119039 on: March 07, 2017, 01:11:00 am »

Meanwhile there's karaoke, which only works if you're drunk.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 7934 7935 [7936] 7937 7938 ... 11037