Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7920 7921 [7922] 7923 7924 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14504036 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #118815 on: March 01, 2017, 01:05:41 pm »

Is it unusual to have acceptable living standards without being married in a capitalist society now?

There's a whole thing about it, actually, and a lot of controversy around it. Married people (at least in the USA) do tend to be more well off near as I can tell because of tax incentives and because dual income is a possibility. Kids change the equation a little (and the dual income trap is a thing) but in general it seems so.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #118816 on: March 01, 2017, 01:08:46 pm »

Yeah but still, maybe she's just financially responsible?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118817 on: March 01, 2017, 01:11:13 pm »

Ok sorry this is a WTF based on a TV show but

Like... Supergirl they show the inside of the Sister character's apartment (been too long, forgot her name)...

And she is just a common DEO (think of it like... CIA, FBI, MIB) soldier MAYBE a lieutenant at most... and her apartment is gorgeous! she even seems to have a king sized bed... and she is single!

This is true of almost every TV show ever.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #118818 on: March 01, 2017, 01:14:46 pm »

If it isn't explicitly explained assume rich ancestors, it's simpler that way.

My WTF of the day is somewhat NSFW. Someone saw a hole in the sex toy market, a hole shaped like cthulhu dildos. So they went ahead and filled that hole.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118819 on: March 01, 2017, 01:25:12 pm »

you just wanted to make a hole-based pun
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #118820 on: March 01, 2017, 01:27:12 pm »

I actually stole it from the site description, I feel dirty now, and it's not because I'd like to stick one of those dildos on a shelf so it menaces visitors into uncomfortable silence.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118821 on: March 01, 2017, 01:27:38 pm »

A happy WTF:

The Littlest Cheesemaker updated today.

If it isn't explicitly explained assume rich ancestors, it's simpler that way.

My WTF of the day is somewhat NSFW. Someone saw a hole in the sex toy market, a hole shaped like cthulhu dildos. So they went ahead and filled that hole.

I see what you did there.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #118822 on: March 01, 2017, 02:13:09 pm »

I've also heard that if you suffer from bad sight from fixing at a certain sight for too long (such as a computer screen) you can also regain some of it by doing "eye gymnastics" and training you ability to focus at different distances. (Or in other words, not staring at a screen so much ;) )

Both parts of this statement are long-debunked pseudoscience. You cannot harm your eyes by reading, using a screen, or anything of that sort (unless, of course, the light level in question is ludicrously high, in which case the light alone is causing the damage) and "eye gymnastics" have been proven to do absolutely nothing many times over the last century.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118823 on: March 01, 2017, 02:39:10 pm »

Wikipedia says "physiological afterimages", the things you get from staring at a still image, are benign (:  The rods and cones are just temporarily adapting.
That's different from the purplish streaks from too-bright lights, like the sun, which you should not stare at (duh).

I used to get painful eyestrain from reading in the dark, glad it wasn't actual damage.  I had a feeling it wasn't.  Of course I'm even happier to live in an age of LCD monitors and book-sized displays.  CRTs were awful.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118824 on: March 01, 2017, 03:10:44 pm »

What school do the people who have stories of like, secretely playing quake or doom during computer lab go to? Because it's pretty unbelievable that they'd be able to do that without immediately being caught by a teacher :v

EDIT: Grammar
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 03:15:16 pm by Iceblaster »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #118825 on: March 01, 2017, 03:14:05 pm »

In my school the teacher was in on it. We'd occasionally close out the last hour of shop and use the flight sim classroom to play Halo.

For an abrasive woodworking instructor in his late 40s, he got pretty good at headshots after a while...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118826 on: March 01, 2017, 03:26:56 pm »

For Starcraft, it was a *weird* situation where AP Computer Science and regular were being taught in the same classroom...  Even though one was C++, and the other was Office.  The teacher put us AP students on the back row, with a clear row that he would occasionally come back and lecture from while the other students practiced spreadsheets and such.

After the first couple weeks we were mostly just going through prepared challenges/tutorials on our own.  He was so relieved that, as long as we were on schedule, we were allowed to play whatever as long as we kept it a secret from the administration and other students.  So we installed Starcraft, which we somehow got working on the LAN.  A friend and I also hotseated HoM&M2 a lot.
I didn't really learn the value of object oriented programming until Java at university, but I did well on the AP test.  I'm still rubbish at C-family languages.

We only had that class for a quarter, sadly.  In another quarter we had network engineering, and the teacher struck us a similar deal except the whole class was in on it.  That worked a bit better, because we were getting proper instruction *and* a strong incentive.  *ANOTHER* teacher even let us come in during our lunch to play Counterstrike and Team Fortress.

A few years later this was apparently still going on.  My younger brother got me into an all-night LAN party and Red Vs Blue marathon...  Overseen by an awesome teacher.
My first high school was pretty awesome TBH.  Third one had more AP classes but was preppy and unfun (rich area).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #118827 on: March 01, 2017, 03:51:05 pm »

Your high school experiences were way cooler and more replete with doritos and mountain dew than mine ever was.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #118828 on: March 01, 2017, 03:51:58 pm »

The computers at my school barely worked, and the rooms were locked any time you'd be free to use them for non-school purposes.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118829 on: March 01, 2017, 04:06:19 pm »

When I was in high school we had taken all the ram out of one side of the computer lab and put it into machines on the other side.  That way we could play games and the other side would barely compute anything.   :P

Mostly played command & conquer, doom and descent.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 7920 7921 [7922] 7923 7924 ... 11037