Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7909 7910 [7911] 7912 7913 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14504505 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #118650 on: February 25, 2017, 02:20:25 pm »

Be more awesome if the sound was muted. I can never get used to American style cartoon voice acting (with only a few exceptions). It really feels to me like they have a "for kids" talking down to the audience thing in their heads.
The pitch is definitely shifted up in those videos, which doesn't help in any case. I think they're very slightly sped up, probably in an attempt to avoid copyright strikes.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118651 on: February 25, 2017, 02:30:21 pm »

With the rapid advances in machine learning, I think that one day you're going to find all those sped up and Nightcore type videos are very suddenly going to all be muted with copyright warnings.

One time I made a 40 second clip out of an (obscure seasonal) anime to show someone, and the automatic copyright detection picked that up. So somewhere Google has a massive library of all the anime, shows, movies, music videos that have been logged as belonging to some company or other, and they have an efficient algorithm to determine which show any clip is from. People work around that currently by cropping (show the video in less than full screen) or by speeding it up. However, I expect tweaks to the algorithm could in fact identify such attempts to circumvent copyright.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 02:38:22 pm by Reelya »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118652 on: February 25, 2017, 02:38:28 pm »

I'm still hoping that, some number of years down the line, we get legitimate copyright reform. And that Youtube, et al., learn how to respect the law regarding transformative works. The fact that this is still the status quo is completely asinine. Any rando should not be able to flag and take down videos without a review process, let alone on claims with no actual legal basis (misapplied copyright claims that flaunt the law regarding parody, art, and transformative works). The only reason it happens is in the interest of saving Youtube's legal team money from having to deal with legal bullying and frivolous lawsuits from outside. The frivolous lawsuits are the actual problem, and yet, that system remains with no clear ability to combat it. And unfortunately, art (even shitty anime music videos and such) is the victim.

EDIT: Reuploading clips and stuff is probably outside that protection, but I had a rant. It's been making me mad for years.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 02:51:07 pm by Solifuge »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118653 on: February 25, 2017, 05:22:03 pm »

So from what I found out...

Not only is it nearly impossible to stop a pyramid scheme a lot of the time.

In some countries it is LEGAL to have a pyramid scheme so long as you slightly adjust how the flow of money functions.

I think (according to an economist I spoke to), that in Canada a pyramid scheme is legal SO LONG as your money is not only distributed up the chain, but that you only earn money if the people below you make sales so to speak. (this is ignoring the problems with that).

So... Dear goodness I wish the USA and Canada would patch our legal system.

---

There is a LOT I'd have to go into with how it functions but suffice it to say... A lot of these businesses earn far more off their "employees" then they do with sales.

Why ohh why haven't we patched it?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:29:45 pm by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118654 on: February 25, 2017, 05:36:46 pm »

There's really nothing illegal about a pyramid scheme in principle. As long as you're up front about the details. It's the misleading nature of most of them that makes them illegal.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:50:17 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118655 on: February 25, 2017, 05:44:32 pm »

There's really nothing illegal about a pyramid scheme in principle. As long as you're up front about the details. It's the misleading nature of most of them that makes them illegal.

I thought they were illegal because they are a predator and essentially a scam...

In fact even when they are "upfront" they are an outright scam.

In fact how many "Legal pyramids" outright tell you that the majority of the money they make... are not from selling to non-workers?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #118656 on: February 25, 2017, 05:47:19 pm »

John Oliver puts it really nicely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6MwGeOm8iI

In short, folks who come up with this need to get kneecapped.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118657 on: February 25, 2017, 05:49:44 pm »

The problem is that a consistent set of laws which bans this sort of organization isn't something you can enact without also banning a lot of normal commerce. If you make your laws very specific then people will just create schemes which work around the laws to get a similar effect.

I mean, take Amway for example. You can't just have a "no Amway" law, you have to specifically target individual practices and show how you can police that without affecting normal businesses. And that's easier said than done. Amway make money through conferences and training, as well as sales, and they have contractors and commissions. By themselves, none of these things are illegal. So what sort of laws are going to work?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:53:58 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118658 on: February 25, 2017, 06:02:55 pm »

Funny thing is that these pyramid schemes are WELL aware that the law is going to catch up with them and lobby the brains out of the government (which isn't anything new... Disney and McDonalds Lobbys like mad as well... Mcdonalds probably a lot less now)

So they aren't unfearing that lawmakers might pass a law that... I dunno... forces them to keep records and allow investigators to read those records.

A lot of these Pyramid Schemes in the USA are illegal... but are nearly impossible to actually deal with.

I am reminded of freeken Organized Crime and how it was nearly impossible to take them down... But what they eventually came up with was frisk the IRS on them... but to do that they needed actual records.

----

-----

Wait... who puts Peanutbutter in the fridge?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 07:14:40 pm by Neonivek »

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #118659 on: February 25, 2017, 07:55:04 pm »

Funny thing is that these pyramid schemes are WELL aware that the law is going to catch up with them and lobby the brains out of the government (which isn't anything new... Disney and McDonalds Lobbys like mad as well... Mcdonalds probably a lot less now)

So they aren't unfearing that lawmakers might pass a law that... I dunno... forces them to keep records and allow investigators to read those records.

A lot of these Pyramid Schemes in the USA are illegal... but are nearly impossible to actually deal with.

I am reminded of freeken Organized Crime and how it was nearly impossible to take them down... But what they eventually came up with was frisk the IRS on them... but to do that they needed actual records.

----

-----

My WTF: Someone can go from complaining about pyramid schemes to being confused over peanut butter in the fridge in the same post.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #118660 on: February 25, 2017, 09:44:24 pm »

people who buy the kind of peanut butter that tends to separate from the oil

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #118661 on: February 26, 2017, 12:15:40 am »

Group project time. I set up a Google Drive document that everybody can access and edit, so we're all on the same page and working on the same document. Nobody is using it, instead passing Word documents by email like filthy barbarians. What's next, sending a hand-written worksheet by carrier pidgeon?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118662 on: February 26, 2017, 08:10:40 am »

Even worse - spelling pigeon correctly.

(:P)
Black lives matter.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118663 on: February 26, 2017, 08:15:47 am »

The grammar nazi blugeons the pidgeon in the gud with his +golden erazor+. The pidgeon's down is struck.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118664 on: February 26, 2017, 08:17:23 am »

actually that was both a joke which you are free to ignore and a correction of spelling, not grammar
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 7909 7910 [7911] 7912 7913 ... 11037