Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7894 7895 [7896] 7897 7898 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494380 times)

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #118425 on: February 20, 2017, 01:53:21 pm »

adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118426 on: February 20, 2017, 02:38:10 pm »

I recall one interesting one in which the aliens "lose" the war insofar as they stop considering it cost-effective, so they withdraw. The twist in this one is that the aliens *did* have the power to wipe out the planet, but weren't 100% clear on human retailation.

To ellaborate further: the aliens in this setting were for all practical intents and purposes a facsimile of a medieval society, with a lot of nobles vying for power, a religion that guaranteed that they were the chosen ones, etc.. 

They did have hyperadvanced, self-maintaining technology, but they didn't really know how it worked. They had multipurpose, self-replicating devices that could do anything from working as a regeneration chamber to detonate in devastating explosions, but they are considered some sort of divine gift rather than technology proper, and have no notion of research and development.

With those they wage a mostly successful war against Earth powers, despite some early fiascos because of human weapons being outside what they find conventional. But after a nuke and mistaking human cultural icons as "ageless leaders in the shadow", they decide that humans *do* have the Devices, but that the elite keep them to themselves, so they beat it back to their planet and leave several piles of the Devices all around the globe, as to foment a revolution against said "hidden elite" and hopefully get a friendly goverment, while trying to figure out R&D. Meanwhile, an earthling character speculates that some other more advanced culture probably ran a god gambit and set up said medieval aliens with the Devices so that they kept civilizations in the local galactic cluster while not actually having the motivation to develop any technology themselves and thus compete with the forementioned precursors.

...come to think about it, it bears some passing resemblance to Revelation Space in that regard...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118427 on: February 20, 2017, 03:04:31 pm »

I think I figured out where the double standards on Negative and positive reviews come from.

It is basically from what people are seeking from them.

People want a positive review basically a sort of wink and nod to check out the source material with a few supporting reasons as to why and the persons overall opinion perhaps.

For negative reviews people are seeking out strong compelling arguments as to why such a thing isn't worth their time and why they should stay away.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118428 on: February 20, 2017, 05:20:36 pm »

No but what if it's Elerium-
Wait, what's that?  Element 115 has been synthesized, isn't bizarrely stable, and is called...  Moscovium?
Well next you're going to say warp drives don't work.  Just form a bubble, jeez!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118429 on: February 20, 2017, 05:22:46 pm »

Of course it's an element, silly! Element 115, aka Elerium.

Damn, a ninja.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118430 on: February 20, 2017, 05:34:31 pm »

Yeah, very true.
Even among of my favorite artists I find them really hit-and-miss.

This one is pretty popular (BSFW)

A sample of the comments section of that video:
Jade Harley: lmfao i literally searched "furry nightclub murder" bc i forgot the name of this song and it was first result
Adolf Hitler: Jade Harley I tried it and holyyyyy shit
Adolf Hitler: it works
Jade Harley: Adolf Hitler of course it does you think someone would just do that? just like go on the internet and LIE?

Also, for some reason Chrome is flagging the word "works" as misspelled in that quote, but not in this sentence here.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #118431 on: February 20, 2017, 06:01:22 pm »

There's this short fiction thing called Deathworlders that I was linked a few days ago. Basically humans are scary as fuck because everyone else in the universe evolved on pansy ass garden worlds. Cool premise and all that, seriously. Too bad the author/s are complete and utter hacks who wrote it into the ground and then some by, oh, the tenth chapter or so.

Don't think I've ever actually dropped a story because it went to shit like this, the premise hooks you in but the moment you take a step back you realise that it's little more than writing 101 mistakes coupled with stuff taken from other fiction and butchered to push whatever sociopolitical stance the author felt like doing that day.

Oh boy, time for some self-flagellation, I love bad fiction!
its not that bad especially since it was started off a hole on bad sci-fi, and the author does starting turning down the political stuff later on when he realizes how he sounds.

I'm late but I'm kinda surprised other people here followed this. I quit a couple months ago when it devolved into blatant fanservice. Dunno if it's still like that but it was more than I was willing to deal with. It had problems before, but until then the setting at least was interesting enough for me to keep trying with it.

Oh dear, does it? The one black bisexual woman space pilot (henceforth BBWSP in the pending review) so overtly telling the Rocket Raccoon knockoffs that she'd bang them if she could was one warning sign, the author's peculiar way of describing that species of spun-glass sphess elves by saying that you'd fatally injure one if you had sex with them was another.

But anyways, yes, it's shit, for a number of reasons.

SJW soapboxing
The most overt of this is in the single-digit chapters, but it's laced throughout. It can be described most succinctly as informed diversity (i.e. tokenism), where the author goes out of their way to make sure that the audience is aware of every single victim point possessed by every character even when there's no reason to be so obvious in the narrative. When a character is introduced, it doesn't feel like meeting another member of the cast, it feels like we're being given a window through which to watch the author tick another box on their diversity checklist. This is reinforced by two main factors, both of which boil down to lazy tokenism.

First, most of these characters get perhaps two or three paragraphs in a single scene and then are abruptly discarded-their only purpose was to demonstrate how socially aware and accepting the author is. The remainder are one-dimensional lazy stereotypes. Take BBWSP, she's one of the major human characters. The acronym I just used describes 100% of her character. Her very first scene, in an ironically appropriate way, has her worrying about people just seeing her as a token minority rather than a competent individual. The author then proceeds to never depict her in any role except that of a token minority and an insert for the xenos fetish. She gets perhaps two paragraphs in the entire story about her piloting the ship, which overlaps with another problem I'll discuss later. But basically she's got a super-fucking-cool role, she's the pilot of humanity's first FTL spaceship, and she's being sent on diplomatic missions to meet strange new life and fantasize about fucking it, but the author manages to avoid giving her any personality beyond "bisexual who's really pansexual oh and BTW I'm a black woman if you haven't noticed already".

The same thing crops up with other characters. You've got the British-born Pakistani-descended guy whose sole personality trait is "gambling/drinking is haram". When he initially gets abducted (and oh boy are the abduction snippets another problem to talk about), he spends as much time worrying about whether the guy he bumped into being an angry drunk who'll attack him for looking Arabic as he does boggling at how TIME HAS FUCKING FROZEN AND THE ALIENS ARE HERE TO GET HIM. And then there's the Irish woman whose personality is "I have red hair, I'm comfortable being naked around strangers now, and also I occasionally have a single word written in a vague accent to remind you that I'm supposed to be Irish". She's a self-described space babe/pirate queen/colonial governor who somehow managed to bootstrap from being abducted to running first a pirate ship and then a planet, had her palace bombed out from under her, and hiked for four months to get back to the ruin, but we get the last ten minutes of hiking and then the lazy bullshit. Oh, and she also gets four lines of banter with a SBS operator because "Oh yeah the Irish and English don't have good history" is all the lazy asshole author could remember apart from "red hair" and "funny accent".

So let's continue the detour into The Author Is A Lazy Fuck Who Doesn't Do Any Research
Instead of figuring out how to write an Irish accent or tossing in a few words of gaelic Firefly-style, they write "fucking" as "feeking" when she says it. They wants a Muslim character but doesn't care to find out anything about Islam and instead make the guy say "haram" and not want to drink or gamble. They want to describe a new space race but are too lazy to identify all the likely players so instead they just turn NASA multinational, name a bunch of random companies and the Japanese space agency (weeb alert?), and kick Russia and China out of the picture. A lot of stuff overlaps with this heading, so we'll leave it for now.

Tolerant Globalist Author Is A Nationalist Anglocentric Ass
Early rants about American nationalism in the text, and then-Russia! The Russian ambassador is a nameless lecher (in a story where everyone and their dog is a named character) who exists solely to offend BBWSP and lazily foreshadow the RUSSIANS ARE EBUL HURR plot. Russia arbitrarily breaks with the international agreement to work as a united front and starts their own negotiations with another alien party. When the Glorious Western Powers throw up an orbital weapons network the Russians protest and the Chinese meekly complain about not being involved. When they put together a specops team to go to another planet, they pick people from anglophone countries. Not individual anglophone operators, but literally just Americans, Brits, and Commonwealth types. The actual fuck.

That One HFY Thing
Where the aliens all instantly adopt human expressions, idioms, and cultural references, because thousands of years of their own history haven't produced any pithy sayings, clever maxims, or resilient memes, and GLORIOUS HUMAN CULTURE is transparently superior even to people with radically different psychology and history.

That Other One HFY Thing
Where the monstrous space monsters who suck compared to us aren't evil enough until you tell the audience that they like to make slaves out of little girls with vague implications of rape.

That Third One HFY/Greentext Story/Lazy Fanfic Thing
Where it's less a story and more a highlight reel because the author doesn't want to work through all of the "boring bits" even after they leave a space-limited medium.

That's just for starters. The soapboxing isn't as egregious as other authors I could name *cough*DAVID FUCKING WEBER*cough*, but the way it's constantly present and the rest of the writing is also pretty shit makes the whole much worse.

e: Oh yeah, The Fucked Timeline
When you need a proper reading order list for a single story's chapters, you fucked up. The timeline jumps all over and constantly flashbacks with no internal indication. I could be verbose here, but it's honestly just shit and isn't worth the effort.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:06:35 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118432 on: February 20, 2017, 06:45:24 pm »

I did read it for a bit and stopped right at the "look at these quirky humans we've gathered here and their magical cultural diversity things taken straight out of a american 60s cartoon" part, plus all the really hamfisted HFY thing about aliens all being either afraid or really excited about humans to the point they start adopting aspects of human culture, despite comming from much older and more advanced civilizations. Also, the aliens feel kinda tacked on at times, as no civilization is described at lenght other than "these are pacifist people" and "these are angry warrior people".

Also, the evil aliens are as stereotypical as one can get.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:47:50 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #118433 on: February 20, 2017, 07:06:59 pm »

Yeaaah, if you're looking for something like HP a web serial in general wasn't a terribly good idea, heh. Very different style of writing compared to your normal novel, never mind that particular one is radically different in nature compared to your normal magical school work, heh. MU's got some good lines here and there, though, but it's been a damn long time since I read any of it. Pretty sure I didn't catch up at the time, too. Got distracted a few hundred k words in, heh.

E: ... though yeah, even with the magic bits it's very much a college based character drama. There doesn't really exist any of those that aren't neuroses on top of neurosis, usually interspersed with sex of varying degrees of explicitness and quality.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:17:42 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118434 on: February 20, 2017, 07:18:42 pm »

-snip-

You said it better than I could have. It maybe could have been good, if only it weren't so shitty. Truly a disappointment.

And the fanservice is mostly contained to a couple of arcs, but those were (emphasis on were) the ones driving the plot at the time. Looking at it there are nearly 30 updates between when I stopped and the most recent one, so he either dialed it back or the people still reading it don't need eyes to see anymore, but even with my honestly rather low standards it's not something I really care to investigate.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:20:14 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118435 on: February 20, 2017, 07:34:00 pm »

...Huh, I'm surprised others know about Tales of Mu.  I used to love it, but it's been a few years since I checked up on it.  WOW, impressed it's still going!

"Someone's neuroses about their neuroses" is pretty apt.  It's also very NSFW though, and deals primarily with... alternative sexualities.  BDSM, if you know what I mean (I mean BDSM).  But less "this is awesome and easy" and more "This is so weird and embarrassing yet who I am".

I might just start reading again.  Though, I'd recommend Chaos Comix first.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #118436 on: February 20, 2017, 07:43:45 pm »

Pretty sure it was relatively well known for a while a... quite a few years back. No clue about nowadays, but I remember running into mention of it in a fair number of places, though I forget exactly where I initially found it at. Which in retrospect is mildly odd considering its subject matters, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #118437 on: February 20, 2017, 08:10:34 pm »

Heh, FD's review was more entertaining than most of the actual story itself (and pretty much hit all the issues I had with it square on the head (without me having to bother writing them)).

I will say tho, some of the tech stuff seemed cool, like the clever use of forcefields and warp in weapons and ships, might have to steal that stuff for some of my own projects.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118438 on: February 20, 2017, 09:22:51 pm »

speaking of science fiction has anyone else read the followups to enders game? now that gets weird.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #118439 on: February 20, 2017, 09:40:02 pm »

A recent printing of A Game of Thrones has an image from the latest season of the TV show on the cover, the wall of faces. That isn't even hinted at in the first book IIRC.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 7894 7895 [7896] 7897 7898 ... 11037