Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7893 7894 [7895] 7896 7897 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494358 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #118410 on: February 20, 2017, 11:57:27 am »

Earth: I read a short story linked here by someone however long ago which had the premise that our section of universe is actually home to some kind of strange radiation which makes every race go completely batshit and kill themselves off. We're apparently the sole exception to the rule, but every other 'benevolent' race refuses to trade with us because we defy their science. So we end up getting goth-metal power armor and become 'corsairs' because we can only really do diplomacy through fear.

Earth:  I really enjoyed a very short short-story where humans become a galactic nuclear deterrent.
If that's not the same story, I would love a link.
It wasn't that.  It was some old Asimov magazine or pulp paperback...  I used to read those a lot growing up, this was a long time ago (and the story itself was likely significantly even older, like 80's).
And to be perfectly honest, I made up filled in at least half of that story.  All I remember solidly is that they were impressed with our savage rebelliousness, and offered us a job.  The lifespan justification and MAD stuff probably weren't in the original - it was *very* short, like a few pages.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #118411 on: February 20, 2017, 12:02:00 pm »

electroswing is decent.

some of its good.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118412 on: February 20, 2017, 12:06:47 pm »

Yeah, very true.
Even among of my favorite artists I find them really hit-and-miss.

This one is pretty popular (BSFW)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 12:12:27 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118413 on: February 20, 2017, 12:07:29 pm »

I've always found the "humanity f*** yeah" fapfest to border racism in a disturbing manner. Take for instance Colonel Quaritch fanboys - he's a clear expy of Custer. The only reason his exploits are borderline "pallatable" to these people is that his exploits are against "blue skinned aliens".  But mind you, these people are clearly sentient and civilized. "They look different so they aren't really sentient" is the justification of every racist ever.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118414 on: February 20, 2017, 12:13:27 pm »

He's *supposed* to be Custer (so obviously that it's rather embarrassing), that's why we're supposed to hate him.  But the actual situation isn't equivalent, which is (I hope) why so many people take his side - the Na'vi are actually being unreasonable.  So people rebel against the rather patronising message of the movie.  Hey, turns out protagonist was wrong to choose an alien babe over his own people!

Also just to clarify, my story was less "Humanity fuck yeah" and more "Humanity OH GOD"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118415 on: February 20, 2017, 12:14:57 pm »

I like the 'humanity fuckyeah' stories because they usually have a 'Our flaws make us strong!' angle, which for some reason appeals to me.

That being said, we don't generally have humans being the technological top-dog in most, other than say Avatar (Which absolutely did play up the racism angle)
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #118416 on: February 20, 2017, 12:18:42 pm »

He's *supposed* to be Custer (so obviously that it's rather embarrassing), that's why we're supposed to hate him.  But the actual situation isn't equivalent, which is (I hope) why so many people take his side - the Na'vi are actually being unreasonable. 

Yeah, Custer probably thought the same about the indians. If they only had gone quietly to their reservations, alas...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #118417 on: February 20, 2017, 12:20:35 pm »

Humanity fuck yea is about humanity coming together to do what humanity does best.

When we take for ourselves we make ourselves strong
When we become strong we form governments, enclaves, senates, etc
When we form overseeing bodies we develop culture, civility, and science
When we develop higher aims, we learn compassion

Its a cycle.  And I tend to see it like would American Migrants.  Or anything else.  We slowly learn to cope with new things.

Humans are built for the long game, after all.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #118418 on: February 20, 2017, 12:31:02 pm »

He's *supposed* to be Custer (so obviously that it's rather embarrassing), that's why we're supposed to hate him.  But the actual situation isn't equivalent, which is (I hope) why so many people take his side - the Na'vi are actually being unreasonable.  So people rebel against the rather patronising message of the movie.  Hey, turns out protagonist was wrong to choose an alien babe over his own people!

Also just to clarify, my story was less "Humanity fuck yeah" and more "Humanity OH GOD"

I never could commit to liking the Avatar movie. The motivation of the humans was, literally, "WE'VE STRUCK UNOBTANIUM" and the motive of the Na'Vi was "Wait, who are these feckers on our planet?"

Of the two, the Na'Vi are the more reasonable in base motivation, but they're even more xenophobic than the humans are. What was Unobtanium? Why do we need it? That was always the question that burned me.

The ending of Avatar always seemed so very sad to me. Not because humanity lost, but because the Na'Vi did. This was the chance for a peaceful reconciliation, for a blending of ways. You didn't defeat them, you just took out their ground base. They came in a space ship, and they don't want your trees, or your animals, or you. They want your rocks.

They're not going to land next time, they're just going to put a battleship in LO and burn you from space. Your rocks will survive a planetary strike. Not much else will.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118419 on: February 20, 2017, 12:34:39 pm »

I'd like to think it was a political victory for the Na'vi and now the military has to step off.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118420 on: February 20, 2017, 12:47:59 pm »

There's this short fiction thing called Deathworlders that I was linked a few days ago. Basically humans are scary as fuck because everyone else in the universe evolved on pansy ass garden worlds. Cool premise and all that, seriously. Too bad the author/s are complete and utter hacks who wrote it into the ground and then some by, oh, the tenth chapter or so.

Don't think I've ever actually dropped a story because it went to shit like this, the premise hooks you in but the moment you take a step back you realise that it's little more than writing 101 mistakes coupled with stuff taken from other fiction and butchered to push whatever sociopolitical stance the author felt like doing that day.

Oh boy, time for some self-flagellation, I love bad fiction!
its not that bad especially since it was started off a hole on bad sci-fi, and the author does starting turning down the political stuff later on when he realizes how he sounds.

I'm late but I'm kinda surprised other people here followed this. I quit a couple months ago when it devolved into blatant fanservice. Dunno if it's still like that but it was more than I was willing to deal with. It had problems before, but until then the setting at least was interesting enough for me to keep trying with it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #118421 on: February 20, 2017, 01:30:31 pm »

I'd like to think it was a political victory for the Na'vi and now the military has to step off.
Thing is... that wasn't the military. The human forces in Avatar are just corporate mercs.

The problem with HFY is that it often too fast devolves into (or just skips the devolving part by already starting as) "humans are perfect and godlike". What HFY was supposed to be was humans somehow prevailing against overwhelming odds through sheer stubbornness. Yet we have stories where humans show up and the universe itself bends backwards to elevate them.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #118422 on: February 20, 2017, 01:34:53 pm »

I recall one short story, I can't remember the name, but aliens attempt to invade earth after failing to detect any gravity drive technology. They proceed to get their arse handed to them.

Turns out the reason is that gravity drive technology is simple, but defies science in such an extreme way that any species that discovered it wound up abandoning the scientific method after a while. Somehow, we never actually discovered it, so we went on to create things like nuclear weapons and fully automated guns, while they were stuck in technology roughly equivalent to the age of sail.

'The Path Not Taken,' iirc. Gotta get me them Frost references.

EDIT: It's 'The Road Not Taken', by Harry Turtledove.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 01:37:42 pm by overseer05-15 »
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118423 on: February 20, 2017, 01:40:33 pm »

I remember one book where the aliens were used to intelligence that had evolved from herd animals, and humans were so psychologically different that they could not fathom our motives or predict our actions and we defeated them in a ground war on earth even though they had orbital bombardment.

Also vampires flew into space to kill all their ships at the end.

It was a silly book.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118424 on: February 20, 2017, 01:51:41 pm »

@O5-15:That link crashes my browser...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 7893 7894 [7895] 7896 7897 ... 11037