Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7848 7849 [7850] 7851 7852 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471398 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #117736 on: February 05, 2017, 03:25:27 pm »

That's actually been brought up years before with other games, though oddly this might be the first time I've seen them try to enforce it.  Which is weird.  Maybe it's the first time a British company has done it?

I actually sympathize with their argument, it's an important symbol in war that should have an unambiguous meaning.  They're just... really, really late about taking actual action.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #117737 on: February 05, 2017, 03:53:02 pm »

I knew about that, but I thought the Doom re-releases were the only instance of it actually being enforced.

The Techdirt article says what I was about to say in much fewer words:
Trademark bullying is one thing, but to throw around something as important as the international rules of war in order to keep a few pixels out of a video game is both silly and disrespectful of those same rules. No reasonable person would think that those that wrote The Geneva Conventions intended it to be used in this way. Nor can anyone explain why this kind of protectionism is levied so randomly.

I know why it's being enforced on indie developers, though: they can easily bully indie developers into submission and feel good about themselves. The PC Gamer article had pictures of Halo and Half-Life 2, both massively popular games by insanely huge companies that could easily tank any sort of legal challenge. No Red Cross challenge that I know of for those games.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 03:56:07 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #117738 on: February 05, 2017, 03:55:00 pm »

One of regional courthouses in Russia is currently trying to get providers to restrict access to a (one, singular) page on how to make dynamite in Minecraft. "Because extremism". Source in Russian.

To be fair, Roskomnadzor (government agency that interacts with providers to ban certain content on the internet) has not yet implemented ban because the officials found that court decision ridiculous.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #117739 on: February 05, 2017, 03:59:11 pm »

Terrorists, terrorists everywhere!
._.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117740 on: February 05, 2017, 04:03:09 pm »

One of regional courthouses in Russia is currently trying to get providers to restrict access to a (one, singular) page on how to make dynamite in Minecraft. "Because extremism". Source in Russian.

To be fair, Roskomnadzor (government agency that interacts with providers to ban certain content on the internet) has not yet implemented ban because the officials found that court decision ridiculous.
Fahaha what the shit
Sometimes I wonder where these clueless fuckers come from. Like, bear with me here, maybe they're foreign provocateurs in disguise? Nobody can be this dumb without doing it on purpose. I swear to jegus, there's probably some sort of top-secret Illuminati confirmed tier facility somewhere in Nevada that grows these things in vats and programs them, then drops them into the Russian heartland using those fuckin' black helicopters they've got. This is the only reasonable explanation. They're all monstrosities spawned from the tainted geneseed of Primarch Milonov himself.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #117741 on: February 05, 2017, 04:04:31 pm »

"this is ridiculous" is an official court ruling?

Anyway, it rained all last night until 9:30 this morning, now its snowing some more. This weather is ridiculous.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #117742 on: February 05, 2017, 04:04:48 pm »

I knew about that, but I thought the Doom re-releases were the only instance of it actually being enforced.

The Techdirt article says what I was about to say in much fewer words:
Trademark bullying is one thing, but to throw around something as important as the international rules of war in order to keep a few pixels out of a video game is both silly and disrespectful of those same rules. No reasonable person would think that those that wrote The Geneva Conventions intended it to be used in this way. Nor can anyone explain why this kind of protectionism is levied so randomly.

I know why it's being enforced on indie developers, though: they can easily bully indie developers into submission and feel good about themselves. The PC Gamer article had pictures of Halo and Half-Life 2, both massively popular games by insanely huge companies that could easily tank any sort of legal challenge. No Red Cross challenge that I know of for those games.
I think the more worrying aspect is not that they are wielding their symbol like a bludgeon, but that a non-profit organization that relies on donations is wasting money paying lawyers to sue indie game devs.

Fahaha what the shit
Sometimes I wonder where these clueless fuckers come from. Like, bear with me here, maybe they're foreign provocateurs in disguise? Nobody can be this dumb without doing it on purpose. I swear to jegus, there's probably some sort of top-secret Illuminati confirmed tier facility somewhere in Nevada that grows these things in vats and programs them, then drops them into the Russian heartland using those fuckin' black helicopters they've got. This is the only reasonable explanation. They're all monstrosities spawned from the tainted geneseed of Primarch Milonov himself.
But, I heard on the news that this landminecraft is used to train terrorists!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #117743 on: February 05, 2017, 04:18:19 pm »

No, it's a ruling of the executive branch that's responsible for enforcing said court decision.

The spam in my e-mailbox is getting ridiculous:
upgrade your membership for only ___ more to receive weekly print delivery of _____ and get a free ______________ long-sleeved T-shirt.
._.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117744 on: February 05, 2017, 04:23:03 pm »

No, it's a ruling of the executive branch that's responsible for enforcing said court decision.
And I mean you have to be special to be special enough that even RKN refuses to enable your idiocy, given their usual trigger-happiness at censoring completely irrelevant shit.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117745 on: February 05, 2017, 04:37:34 pm »

Yeah, the minecraft wiki is pretty useless, it doesn't tell you the mass a stack of 1 sand. I tried a 4:5 ratio, but that just got me 2,6-trinitrotoluene.

RE: red cross: I smell makework. Specifically for unneeded/undeskilled/useless/demanding volunteers who donate too much to turn away yet can't be given something actually useful for whatever reason.

I mean, threatening legal action is free, and a small dev might not call your bluff...
One wheel short of a wagon

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117746 on: February 05, 2017, 05:17:56 pm »

Well, no, you have to pay the lawyers.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #117747 on: February 05, 2017, 05:28:19 pm »

My opinion of Red Cross is sadly quite marred, but not because of this. They also have much to be desired in volunteer quality (they skewered my vein last time I tried to give blood) as well as use of information given (I eventually had to tell them they had the wrong number to get them to stop harassing me for appointments).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #117748 on: February 05, 2017, 06:56:15 pm »

My ride to work crapped out on me, my credit card is locked until tomorrow (paying my traffic fines on a Friday was enough to trigger overdraft protection even though I haven't quite run out of cash (I have a check from the junkyard here to deposit anyway, so I'll be fine once I get to the bank tomorrow) and I have just enough cash that I might be able to afford an Uber into work tonight. The operative word in that sentence being "might".

I don't know if I should just call off (which I could do without significant repercussions, we have a generous attendance system and I have enough vacation time to cover the deficit) or hope for the best.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #117749 on: February 05, 2017, 07:53:18 pm »

(they skewered my vein last time I tried to give blood)

So, is that a reason to learn things like first aid?

Things at the Red Cross are so messed up that they can't put a needle in a vein quite right? (Not that I've a right to give them trouble given that I'm too squeamish to do anything regarding needles).
Pages: 1 ... 7848 7849 [7850] 7851 7852 ... 11037