Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7828 7829 [7830] 7831 7832 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460083 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #117435 on: January 29, 2017, 11:11:17 am »

Somehow this is reminding me of those early creation myths where a male god, ah, "creates" the universe.
"Quantum tunneling", teehee

AND HROL DID LOVE UNTO A HILLOCK
Love, scriver~

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117436 on: January 29, 2017, 12:41:42 pm »

I've heard of at least one creationism story that claimed that the world and everything in it is just a giant ball of poo, from the back end of one of the gods.

What's worse being made out of a materiel that while disgusting, is at least partially related to creation and birth.  Or a giant ball of feces, that's only purpose is to be discarded.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117437 on: January 29, 2017, 12:46:28 pm »

The earth is hot and liquid on the inside, and crustier, harder, and cooler on the outside. There are many comparatively tiny things living on it, and it is made from the used-up fuel of something far greater in size, power and dignity. It's also ball shaped.

This story is suspiciously accurate.
One wheel short of a wagon

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #117438 on: January 29, 2017, 12:46:53 pm »

Excrement isn't nescessarily a waste product to be discarded. Look at the symbiotic relation between some ant species with aphids for example. The aphids pee sugar syrup, which feeds the ant workers and soldiers tending to the aphid flock.

We even eat puke, ourselves. It's called honey. Bee vomit.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #117439 on: January 29, 2017, 12:54:33 pm »

This conversation is some good shit
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #117440 on: January 29, 2017, 12:55:39 pm »

It is probably, on the whole, better than it being fashioned from the unusually useful carcass of a giant.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117441 on: January 29, 2017, 01:35:50 pm »

My favorite creation myth is the one in which the entire universe was sneezed out by the Great Green Arkleseizure.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #117442 on: January 29, 2017, 01:39:06 pm »

Would it be noticable if, instead of the universe expanding, everything in it is shrinking?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117443 on: January 29, 2017, 02:01:23 pm »

If that were the case, wouldn't everything in the sky be blue-shifting instead of red-shifting the way it is now?

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #117444 on: January 29, 2017, 02:03:04 pm »

Would it be noticable if, instead of the universe expanding, everything in it is shrinking?
Yes. I find this hard to put into words and I don't have the graphical skills to illustrate it, but the expansion of the universe is throwing everything in slightly different directions, so if we take 3 random objects in space, their relative distances change over time. Were they to shrink instead, the relative distances would stay the same.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117445 on: January 29, 2017, 02:16:06 pm »

I tried to see how big Noah's Ark would be to fit two of every animal.

Oddly enough I saw a response by a creationist and he made "Kind" into "Genus"... so like... Wolves and Dogs would be the same.

Which would be fine... if, you know... that wasn't outright contradicted in the very same story (Crow and Dove are of the same Kind). Not to mention that SOME creatures are considered related at the time (Bats and Birds for example)

Oddly enough ANOTHER response was from a scientist who basically tossed out insects (Which is fine, it isn't like it included Fish.. and there is an argument that bugs do not count and quite often people don't include it either) and said based on that the Ark itself COULD have fit two of every animal (species) in terms of being able to float. Though whether or not it would be able to actually fit the animals inside that is another questions entirely.

Very possibly it could have still floated with the insects but I dunno... a million extra insects...

---

So basically it is QUITE possible... that... Noah's Ark actually is big enough and can actually float.

How he feeds all of them is a question (Creationist gave an interesting solution in that they were put into some sort of forced hibernation)... But honestly logistics can take a rest...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:21:03 pm by Neonivek »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #117446 on: January 29, 2017, 02:20:27 pm »

It says something about the absurdity of that story that by far the easiest and most plausible way to reconcile it with reality is to assume Genesis is a distorted tale of how Earth was seeded with life by a massive spaceship.

Or of some long-lost proto-Jew with very mutable religious convictions on a leaky rowboat with a cow, a goat, a pigeon, and his child bride during a local flood, but I like my version better.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:22:05 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117447 on: January 29, 2017, 02:28:50 pm »

Ehh I think it works as a sort of fairytale-esk (or I guess Fable) Bible story.

Yes, it requires handwave after handwave... if you take it entirely literally (which oddly enough it really was).

Yet the important part about it is that it features God's covenant to never once again purge humanity for their sins.

---

Then again the whole "God gave us Aids to punish the gays" features AMAZING poetic Justice for the Bible Beaters.

People are punishing the homosexuals further for a sin they believe god bestowed onto them... Basically not helping them and leaving them to die because that is what they deserve.

And the result of that is that Aids became a pandemic that has struck the world uncontrolled... harming them in the process

Hmm... HMMM!!! where have I heard of this before... OHH FREEKEN RIGHT! Cain and Abel. Cain committed a horrible sin and was punished by God for it.

Yet what was it that extra feature? Ohh right! God protected Cain from the retribution of man by giving him a curse that anyone who harmed him would receive equal (or greater, I forget) harm.

---

This is why I find fictional uses of Cain to be EXTREMELY unusual in context to that story.

World of Darkness probably is the piece of fiction that stayed truest to it... But also hits the "God, what were you thinking?" factor when Cain basically becomes Godzilla. He still has that "Hurt you back" power.

I guess what I mean is... It is like the only thing people remember that story is that Cain killed Abel and received divine retribution. None of the other themes or details.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:34:42 pm by Neonivek »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #117448 on: January 29, 2017, 02:36:37 pm »

Yet the important part about it is that it features God's covenant to never once again purge humanity for their sins.
This actually ruins all theology concerning God's nature. Regretting an action and pledging not to repeat it disproves God's omniscience and benevolence. Many things, especially in the earlier books of the Old Testament, show signs of how this conception of divinity evolved from an Olympian-style flawed deity of passion to the all-powerful monotheistic standard we know today.
Yet what was it that extra feature? Ohh right! God protected Cain from the retribution of man by giving him a curse that anyone who harmed him would receive equal (or greater, I forget) harm.
Seven times retribution. Which, yes, is reflected in World of Darkness perfectly. You do one damage to Cain (somehow), God strikes you for seven damage instantly.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:38:10 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117449 on: January 29, 2017, 02:56:56 pm »

I believe that the official rules for fighting Cain in OWoD could basically be summed up as: "Don't."

Pages: 1 ... 7828 7829 [7830] 7831 7832 ... 11040