Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7787 7788 [7789] 7790 7791 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14461287 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #116820 on: January 18, 2017, 12:35:17 am »

Let the Portuguese make your wine and the Spanish make your sausage and you will have no desires in life for finer things

Nae haggis pal.

Let Italians make yer chips and Turks make yer kebabs, and yer made.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
om nom nom

Reminds me of when I ate the poison kebab. I only have two real memorable experiences with kebab, all other times have been mundane or not memorable for kebab reasons (I am excluding for example the time I was eating kebab and one friend called me with concerns that this girl was trying to spike his drinks and chased him around with a knife). The first is a very simple one, I had met some new friends and they asked me a very important question, and the question was simple: DO I LIKE SPICE.

I affirmed with my soul, I do not like the spice, I LOVE THE SPICE. Of course the first thing we did thereupon was enter the spice hut, the demesne of deadly fire, the calamitous brimstone bastion of magma. The experience was summed up succinctly here:
I have grown wiser from such experiences, knowing that to enjoy spice one must learn temperance or else perish. The poison kebab was of no such especial spice calibre, not noticeably spicy by my taste palette anyways. It was poison in other ways. I remember clearly, it was in East end I wandered and found some dingy kebab shop I couldn't for the life of me find today, it was as if this mystical den had appeared ex nihilo to ensnare me with the wicked poison. I enjoyed a thick, meaty kebab with battered onions and salted souls, Beelzebub turned his nose in disgust when such devils recommended this be made the staple of Hades. All in all it was delicious, spiced protein substance dressed in red ketchup, it failed to put me off kebab (days since last kebab: 1), though it certainly made me more careful of their sourcing. I inquired for the kebab, unwisely ignoring that it was simply "meat kebab", tucking into the mystery protein that had lost its poor identity long ago. I was no stranger to mystery meats, delicious ones have often born anonymity before, though not usually in such a glamorous form heavily basted and covered in obscuring jalapenos and depressed onion. It served the job of filling me, though I made what could be construed as a regrettable life choice in choosing this as my filling.

In the immediate aftermath I felt quite unwell, then I felt unwell, then very unwell. This was not a rebellion of the bowels which I was once terribly acquainted with, nor was it a horrendous bout of biological warfare played upon me by foul amoebas. For a full day and a half I was out of commission, completely catatonic in a delirious haze of near death, I slept unnaturally long for what neared two days comatose. Curious dreams of marching through deserts in search of liquid relief, amongst other more disastrous, ruinous visions, whose contents I cannot recall except to recall that they possessed such an ominous, foreboding sense of Armageddon to them, these dreams haunted me like the chemically burned memories of that tasteful kebab. What forests did I walk that turned to such sand, what thirst was felt when I sought to drink my chilled fill and met only with dust?! What ancient and bizarre rooms had I unlocked in the house of my mind, assailed as it was by a poorly chosen lunch?

It would come to be a mere 12 miles journey that nonetheless had great impact on me throughout the week. For when at last I awoke from this stupor my sense of balance was all awry, it was as if gravity refused to have a centre and I was lost in a maelstrom of forces conspiring to wrench my ears from my head and my head from my shoulders and my feet from the ground. Hydration from copious tea having failed to save me I adorned myself in clothing and set forth on a feverous march early in the morning, destination unknown, prior commitments forgotten, myself forgotten in time, lost to the wreckage wrought upon me by the deadly enticing kebab. Ere I walked onwards following the guiding path of the River Thames seeing such sights along the way, real or semi-lucid perhaps, on an overcast day with sunlight's rays passing through and a wondrous breeze buffeting through the city of old London, the cold biting to my core and sharpening my senses. Street performers worked their craft, merchants sold their wares, one friend called me as I was eating raspberries and crisps from Sainsburies asking what I was doing, I simply replied I was walking this off. Passing under bridges and through conversations with vagrant homeless men and past the tourists who themselves were passing by, I witnessed a waking city as men and women in their smart suits and pleated shirts went about their business or conversed stressed on riverside conferences within glass walls, or of the hipster activists who stood by attempting to hug one another in the throng of the busy workers who went about their day desperately trying to get work done with minimal social contact, what a bizarre existence all is! Eventually I made it to the open grass and concrete at Battersea and my pace slowed, hit by the wind, and I began to feel at balance once more. I could see the weather turning, the signs of rolling rains approaching, and figured it was best to return and rest having successfully refreshed.

Now I only eat meat that has names

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116821 on: January 18, 2017, 12:39:40 am »

Nazi required (grammar)

The word timely: can it be used as an adverb?

The OED lists it as an adverb as well as an adjective, so I'd say yes.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116822 on: January 18, 2017, 12:41:14 am »

Nazi required (grammar)

The OED lists it as an adverb as well as an adjective, so I'd say yes.
It feels weird, but yes.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #116823 on: January 18, 2017, 01:16:05 am »

Nazi required (grammar)

In my experience, 'in a timely manner' is the most common form.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116824 on: January 18, 2017, 01:17:08 am »

Yes, exactly.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116825 on: January 18, 2017, 01:19:11 am »

Is there anything stopping consumers, money aside, from just buying multiple smaller bottles?
No, but it's less convenient. And probably more expensive, although I can't say for sure as those large bottles aren't available here as far as I am aware. I guess buying a slab (carton) of cans or bottles is rather cost-effective already, most of the time... now I'm curious how it stacks up, price-wise.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116826 on: January 18, 2017, 01:53:11 am »

This well presented case against sugar consumption gives me a WTF with its implications.
I am forced to wonder if this is just the next dietary fad or not, but it seems credible to me. Maybe, finally, a way out of the obesity spiral even.

It's not just a fad. The sugar industry actually funded anti-"fat" science for decades. Fat consumption has actually dramatically fallen since the 1960s, because of the anti-fat campaigns, but obesity has skyrocketed since then, as has diabetes.

Understanding what Insulin does could help understand the issue. Insulin spikes up in response to blood sugars. Carbs get turned into blood sugars, and fats get turned into blood triglycerides (fatty acids). Converting back and forth is possible, but wastes energy, so the system is designed to save energy, and that's where the trap occurs:

When insulin is high, muscles only burn sugars. High insulin is also a sign for fat cells to pull both fats and sugars from the bloodstream and store them as fat. So high insulin is a trigger telling the cells of the body that there is abundant sugar that must be used up and stored, before considering burning the body's longterm storage.

Low insulin however is a sign that there's a shortage of blood sugars. When this happens, the body wants to release energy from the fat cells and use it up. Since it's released as triglycerides, the muscles listen for low insulin, then start accepting triglycerides as an energy source. So if you want to lose body fat, then this can only happen at times when insulin is low. If you have a calorie deficit, but insulin was always high, you'll just feel tired and lose muscle mass instead of fat. This would be for example if you live on sugary things, but tried to "balance" them so you didn't gain weight. Rather than burning fat, you'd just have sugar rush/sugar crash cycles and lose muscle tone, while gradually gaining fat deposits.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 02:08:12 am by Reelya »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #116827 on: January 18, 2017, 02:49:46 am »

Also, for the record, even laboratory animals have become fatter as time goes on. Primates in particular.

You know. Laboratory animals, with highly controlled diets.

So diet may not be as much of a reason as people believe. I suspect bioactive pollutants in the atmosphere; even small amounts can easily fuck with your metabolism.

Also, milk and various fat industry have funded anti-sugar science too :P
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #116828 on: January 18, 2017, 06:13:19 am »

Stop or my eyes are going to roll back in their orbits.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #116829 on: January 18, 2017, 06:49:36 am »

You know. Laboratory animals, with highly controlled diets.

Laboratory animals live highly unnatural lifestyles in extremely cramped spaces. I suppose I agree that it could indicate that diets matters less over time as the body compensates, but I would put that down to being because exercise matters more.
Love, scriver~

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116830 on: January 18, 2017, 07:22:45 am »

Ye, one can hardly argue that lab animals live in any conditions that would be considered appropriate for their metabolism. Even if they have a lab diet that is designed to be as similar to ther natural diet as it can possibly be, the difference in environment is more than enough to cause a big difference. This happens to humans as well, too, I mean, how often do you hear about people gaining or losing weight after a sudden change in environment or living conditions, despite their diet being exactly the same as before?

I hear it a whole bunch, specially from girls. My girlfriend, for example, gained some weight when she was living in a college dorm, even though she ate comparatively less, and when she came back home, her weight went down again till it was the same as before.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116831 on: January 18, 2017, 07:34:45 am »

What a horrible law!
...Now I'm wondering how large a container of beer it's possible to buy here. I know you can buy huge 2L bottles of spirits, but I don't think we have a beer equivalent, sadly. The usual 750mL "longnecks" are still pretty nice, but it's just not good enough. :(
I'm glad the forces of good managed to triumph in this particular case, though. *salute*

There's a bit of important context here in that a 2L brown plastic bottle of beer (often fortified) is Eastern Europe's equivalent of Thunderbird - cheap, awful and plentiful, aimed chiefly at the poor and/or absolutely miserable.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116832 on: January 18, 2017, 07:40:19 am »

At that point, why not drink liquor and get actually drunk instead of buzzed and bloated?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116833 on: January 18, 2017, 07:42:59 am »

Google tells me that's a "bum wine" akin to Mad Dog and Buckfast.
Once again I'm sad that such things are hard to come by in Australia where we just smash bag upon bag of goon instead. That reminds me, I never got around to importing some. It wasn't that expensive to get delivered here, if memory serves... but still, that kinda defeats the purpose of bum wine.

Anyway, fortified beer? That sounds terrifying and intriguing. I bet it is also something that's hard to come by, here.

Fakeedit:
At that point, why not drink liquor and get actually drunk instead of buzzed and bloated?
That's sooooo 2011, jeez.

Realedit: Wait, Stone's Green Ginger Wine! I forgot about that.
Truly a legendary beverage, though I am yet to try it. A band I used to see a lot wrote a song about it, in fact.
Perhaps now I will finally get around to trying it. Maybe that's what I'll get up to tomorrow!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:57:16 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116834 on: January 18, 2017, 07:53:05 am »

Because it's disgustingly high-priced, like its prices blow every other food product of consumption out of the water, even the cheapest ones are only overshadowed by high-end quality sausages in cost.

The reason for that is, as I've heard, a big part of its price (from 50% to 70%, according to Wikipedia) is due to something called "accise", which is a specific government tax on liquiors and other similar things. It's an important source of budget funding, and it also helps to keep people's alcohol consumption down, so I don't think it's going to be lowered any time soon.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 7787 7788 [7789] 7790 7791 ... 11040