Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14493926 times)

Samio

• Bay Watcher
  • ˙uǝʌǝ ʇ,uop ı sıɥʇ sı ʇɐɥʍ
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #11670 on: July 01, 2012, 01:41:59 am »

I just was surfing around and remembered a story I heard about JB getting arrested or something. I searched as far as "Is Justin Bieber a" until I saw that the top suggestion was "Is Justin Bieber a part of the Illuminati?"
My reaction?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11671 on: July 01, 2012, 04:41:10 am »

Idiots. Everyone knows he's a part of the NWO.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11672 on: July 01, 2012, 08:20:44 am »

Massive clusterfuck at our data center. Thanks to storms on Friday, site lost power and has been running on two massive generators ever since. No one got notified, so the generators have been running at full load for 36+ hours. One of them finally burned out the motor and took down all the critical networking gear. And the air conditioning.

So now you have a building full of servers and such with no A/C on a day with triple-digit heat. But hey, that's actually a moot point because the remaining generator that's keeping the servers running....is dependent on the first generator for its fuel pump.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

WHO THE HELL DESIGNED THIS??!??? Why would you make a redundant power backup dependant on the OTHER backup?? D:

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11673 on: July 01, 2012, 08:22:21 am »

What, you had storms too?

I guess that's where they went after 1PM...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11674 on: July 01, 2012, 08:24:29 am »

Well, we didn't have any here in NC, but the data center is up in northern WV. Looks like from there straight across to DC, they got hit bad.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11675 on: July 01, 2012, 08:38:20 am »

Massive clusterfuck at our data center. Thanks to storms on Friday, site lost power and has been running on two massive generators ever since. No one got notified, so the generators have been running at full load for 36+ hours. One of them finally burned out the motor and took down all the critical networking gear. And the air conditioning.

So now you have a building full of servers and such with no A/C on a day with triple-digit heat. But hey, that's actually a moot point because the remaining generator that's keeping the servers running....is dependent on the first generator for its fuel pump.

WHO THE HELL DESIGNED THIS??!??? Why would you make a redundant power backup dependant on the OTHER backup?? D:
That is an impressive degree of cock up. Any idea what the price tag on the damage is?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11676 on: July 01, 2012, 08:59:10 am »

That is an impressive degree of cock up. Any idea what the price tag on the damage is?
Not yet. To be fair, this *is* a disaster recovery type situation. I didn't realize the extent of the damage up that way. 2 million+ people without power from the Great Lakes over to the mid-Atlantic region, 12 dead. BAD time to be without power too, given that most of those areas are forecast to have 100+ temps again today. The generators were never expected to have to run for days without grid power being restored.

And there's no ETA on getting grid power back to the site because there's just so much devastation. Can't even get anyone to answer the phone at the power company. D:

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #11677 on: July 01, 2012, 10:30:33 am »

Related, apparently Detroit Edison has a very nice automated info system including an estimate of when it'll be back.

And I heard 3 million without power.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11678 on: July 01, 2012, 04:39:06 pm »

I look goddamn ridiculous, but I am much more comfortable.

I have my hair up in a proto-ponytail, tucked through the back of a baseball cap. I can't wait until I grow a real ponytail again.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #11679 on: July 01, 2012, 06:19:24 pm »

I have my hair up in a proto-ponytail, tucked through the back of a baseball cap. I can't wait until I grow a real ponytail again.

This is why I gave up on long hair.  I was doing this all the time, just to keep my neck and ears from overheating.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11680 on: July 01, 2012, 06:34:21 pm »

This is why I gave up on long hair.  I was doing this all the time, just to keep my neck and ears from overheating.
I, on the other hand, actually look good with a ponytail. Apparently.
くコ:彡

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11681 on: July 01, 2012, 06:40:18 pm »

I've been told I look better with a ponytail.

Given the relativity of that statement, I'm not sure if it was a complement or not.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #11682 on: July 01, 2012, 08:33:15 pm »

Short hair~~~ :D

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11683 on: July 01, 2012, 09:10:04 pm »

shoulder blade length preferred
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11684 on: July 01, 2012, 09:22:45 pm »

I've been told that, if I were to grow my hair to waist-length, I could cut it all off and get $1,000 for that.
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 11037