Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7770 7771 [7772] 7773 7774 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471436 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #116565 on: January 11, 2017, 02:25:45 pm »

So we learnt the beginnings of volumes of solids of revolution. I could do it for rotation around x/y=constant I think, and there are probably formulas for rotation around y=ax+b lines, or even curves, but we just did rotation about axis.

And the formula is just so damn right and intuitive that it was practically erotic.
One wheel short of a wagon

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #116566 on: January 11, 2017, 02:30:42 pm »

Xhosa has the worst counting I know of. Inye, zimbini, zintathu, zine, zintlanu, zinthandathu, isixhenxhe, sisibhozo, lithoba, lishuma.

But then you say "ten and...", so you have "lishumi elinesibini". Or for twenty, you say "two tens", which is "amashumi amabini", and twenty-six is thus "amashumi amabini elinesithandathu". It gets pretty bad. It's easy to derive the names, but they're so incredibly long.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116567 on: January 11, 2017, 02:33:46 pm »

(-naście)(-dzieścia)(-dzieści)(-dziesiąt)

Polish has always looked weird. This just emphasizes that. why can't you be a normal language poland. please. welsh is easier to guess pronunciations than you.

My guesses! Nash-Ee, Ch-Yett-Sia, Ch-Yett-See, and finally. Ch-Yett-Si-At. I'm probably way far from the actual pronounciations.

r-rate my pronunciations
Hmm, in Russia, there are only two of those, Nad-tzat' and Desyat' - probably a result of Soviet grammar simplification, since they look pretty similar to the Polish ones in my guessed pronounciation.

Well, there's also the 40, which is a unique snowflake and gets its own special word, which is for some reason the same as the one used to denote either multiples of magpies, or the absence of magpies.

So we learnt the beginnings of volumes of solids of revolution. I could do it for rotation around x/y=constant I think, and there are probably formulas for rotation around y=ax+b lines, or even curves, but we just did rotation about axis.

And the formula is just so damn right and intuitive that it was practically erotic.
Lots of things become very simple once you start utilizing differentiation/integration/vectors. Matrixes and variations are a bit more difficult, but they're also very powerful instruments to know Mother Nature, so it's a good trade-off.
._.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #116568 on: January 11, 2017, 02:35:42 pm »

Polish has always looked weird. This just emphasizes that. why can't you be a normal language poland. please. welsh is easier to guess pronunciations than you.

My guesses! Nash-Ee, Ch-Yett-Sia, Ch-Yett-See, and finally. Ch-Yett-Si-At. I'm probably way far from the actual pronounciations.

r-rate my pronunciations
The fuck is this alien tongue of yours? You speak Polish exactly as you read it, duh? What is difficult in, let's say, dziewięć tysięcy sześćset pięćdziesiąt cztery?

Hmm, in Russia, there are only two of those, Nad-tzat' and Desyat' - probably a result of Soviet grammar simplification, since they look pretty similar to the Polish ones in my guessed pronounciation.
I'm not sure which one is the first one, but Russian Desyat' sounds like an lisp idiot (I'm not even trying to insult you, what pronounciation Russian has similar in general sounds like really shallow version of Polish) trying to pronounce something.

Well, there's also the 40, which is a unique snowflake and gets its own special word, which is for some reason the same as the one used to denote either multiples of magpies, or the absence of magpies.
Holy shit I thought you were joking but that's actually exactly what it is. Sorok(i) is just like Polish word for magpies, Sroki.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 02:42:56 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #116569 on: January 11, 2017, 02:39:28 pm »

Bless you.

Also, why do you clump your vowels and consonants together like that? Is it for warmth? :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116570 on: January 11, 2017, 02:40:26 pm »

...Is that a joke or a serious comment? Because honestly, I have no clue how to pronounce any of that without knowing how the polish alphabet is pronounced. Because honestly, Polish doesn't look like much of a phonetic language to me.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116571 on: January 11, 2017, 02:40:41 pm »

You are using strange alien letters that frankly terrify my sheltered American mind.  I can't even begin to imagine how to pronounce that.

ę   I have no idea.   It looks like an e with a billygoat beard.   That will be forevermore be pronounced eoat.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116572 on: January 11, 2017, 02:43:51 pm »

When you do that to a "c" it gets soft and sibilant.

So obviously you just kinda hiss the "e" there, like you're slowly expiring from cold.
One wheel short of a wagon

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116573 on: January 11, 2017, 02:44:35 pm »

r-rate my pronunciations
Nah, they disappeared from Russian way earlier than that - even if they were not a Polish innovation originally. Because XI century Russian texts have the endings that we have now, at least. Besides, the Soviet orthography reform was just that - an orthography reform, (almost) no grammar included.

r-rate my pronunciations
The fuck is this alien tongue of yours? You speak Polish exactly as you read it, duh? What is difficult in, let's say, dziewięć tysięcy sześćset pięćdziesiąt cztery?
Nothing. 9654. Let's stare at the non-Slav like he fell from a tree or something.

E: would you even ask somebody if they've fallen from a tree in English when they do something weird?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 02:47:34 pm by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116574 on: January 11, 2017, 02:48:39 pm »

Not by that idiom, but I think I get it even so.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #116575 on: January 11, 2017, 02:51:51 pm »

Xhosa has the worst counting I know of. Inye, zimbini, zintathu, zine, zintlanu, zinthandathu, isixhenxhe, sisibhozo, lithoba, lishuma.

But then you say "ten and...", so you have "lishumi elinesibini". Or for twenty, you say "two tens", which is "amashumi amabini", and twenty-six is thus "amashumi amabini elinesithandathu". It gets pretty bad. It's easy to derive the names, but they're so incredibly long.
Surely people shorten them when speaking colloquially? Finnish has slightly shorter numerals but they're still quite long: 26 is 'kaksikymmentäkuusi'. However, in a hurry, people just say 'kakskytkuus' or even 'kaakuu'.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #116576 on: January 11, 2017, 02:52:07 pm »

...Is that a joke or a serious comment? Because honestly, I have no clue how to pronounce any of that without knowing how the polish alphabet is pronounced. Because honestly, Polish doesn't look like much of a phonetic language to me.
...to be honest, I don't have any idea how to explain it to you. :P
It just doesn't work, and knowing the alphabet is just half the struggle because there are clumps of letters like sz, ch, rz that change how you pronounce them completly. And then stuff sometimes depends on previous and next letter.

You are using strange alien letters that frankly terrify my sheltered American mind.  I can't even begin to imagine how to pronounce that.

ę   I have no idea.   It looks like an e with a billygoat beard.   That will be forevermore be pronounced eoat.
The only way is proably to hear it.

When you do that to a "c" it gets soft and sibilant.

So obviously you just kinda hiss the "e" there, like you're slowly expiring from cold.
No. While yes, the top thing on letters like ć and ś is to soften them, so you kinda pronounce it as ci and si, but the lower tails are kinda different.
Oh, and also, there is ż and ź. Ź is just like those previous ones, kinda like zi, but ż... it's harder. Those are perfectly logical and sensible sentences too.

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #116578 on: January 11, 2017, 02:54:18 pm »

polish is a perfectly sane and logical language
Best scene in proably the greatest Polish comedy that ever existed.
EDIT:
Holy shit I seen this scene hundreds of times and yet I'm still nearly pissing my pants now. Makes me think if world tries to remove us just for our language. :P
EDIT2: Oh, and also, I have the exact same name and while my surname is kinda easier but it still murders even other Poles trying to pronounce it right. And it's even worse when someone tries to write it, at this point I have stopped correcting people.
EDIT3: And he is fucking with the Germans on purpose, his name is actually different. This is based on real life too, saying stuff like that was pretty common actually, the original written source comes from a book based on true events that happened during WWI, so it was pretty widely known amongst Poles by that time. Every little bit of resistance helps, after all. :P
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:02:57 pm by Kot »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116579 on: January 11, 2017, 03:02:16 pm »

r-rate my pronunciations
...that sounds way too close to Russian numbers to be an accident. What the hell.

I'm not sure which one is the first one, but Russian Desyat' sounds like an lisp idiot (I'm not even trying to insult you, what pronounciation Russian has similar in general sounds like really shallow version of Polish) trying to pronounce something.
Ahaha, I constantly get a similar kind of feeling when I listen to other Slavic languages (mostly Ukrainian, though). Feels like I'm hearing some 5-year-old made up words, all the time.

Holy shit I thought you were joking but that's actually exactly what it is. Sorok(i) is just like Polish word for magpies, Sroki.
Ahaha what the fuck I thought Russian and Polish language were like way more different, like I've read an old book starring Polish stamp hunters as main heroes, and what little bits of Polish language that was left untranslated really sounded different... wait, maybe they intentionally tried to leave only the weirdest-sounding words, to hide the similarities? Is there a world-wide translator's conspiracy to make people believe they can't understand each other's languages in order to keep their jobs? Aaaaaahhhh
._.
Pages: 1 ... 7770 7771 [7772] 7773 7774 ... 11037