Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7733 7734 [7735] 7736 7737 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14489184 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #116010 on: December 30, 2016, 04:55:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure you would literally be better off sending the warehouse to space and shooting goods back down to Earth than using any thrust-based hover system. A giant dirigible is the only way to go.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116011 on: December 30, 2016, 05:00:00 pm »

That's why I jokingly suggested a nuclear powered helicarrier: The turbines would run off the power system instead of burning fuel. It'd still be wildly impractical, though. A helicopter is one thing. A big frakking metal carrier trying to stay airborne using turbines would be something else entirely.

I'm sure there's math that could be done to see how feasible it would be, but I'm sure a dirigible would be far more feasible.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #116012 on: December 30, 2016, 05:07:25 pm »

How about we power its flight by placing populist politicians from all over the world on it? After all, they're full of hot air!
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116013 on: December 30, 2016, 05:21:02 pm »

When looking for subtances that expand when they solidify, one should probably look to ones that make crystals. After all, the expansion is because the rigid molecular lattice takes more space than the freely-moving liquid.
That's... not helpful, because nearly all inorganic substances make crystals. In fact, you have to deliberately try in order to make them non-crystallic, by freezing them fast enough that they don't have the time to reorganize into crystallic form.
._.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116014 on: December 30, 2016, 05:25:59 pm »

In fact, you have to deliberately try in order to make them non-crystallic, by freezing them fast enough that they don't have the time to reorganize into crystallic form.
Ooh, is that actually a thing?  Chemistry is awesome!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116015 on: December 30, 2016, 05:28:52 pm »

Aren't blimps like, kinda vulnerable to adverse weather and not able to carry all that much cargo, though?

Like, you'd need a fuckhuge blimp in order to actualy use it as a warehouse of some sort, with products + workers + drones. Then one day God decides to practice his old zeus persona and throws a lightning at it, and suddenly you have a fuckhuge warehouse tier mass falling on top of unsuspecting consumers.

Well don't forget that around the time they were relatively popular... there wasn't much in the way of competition.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #116016 on: December 30, 2016, 05:44:29 pm »

CAPITALISM HO!

But nah, I don't think anyone came up with any reactor design light and powerful enough to put on an airship. We won't be getting nuclear airships unless people can get one of those small fusion reactor designs working, not to mention stable fusion itself :U

No, you can do it. Airships can actually carry a remarkable amount, and they managed to get a safe, usable nuclear reactor into a bomber in the 50s. Never used it for anything, but they expected to be able to use it to propel the aircraft and got the mass down to about 30 tons, shielding included.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #116017 on: December 30, 2016, 06:10:26 pm »

No, you can do it. Airships can actually carry a remarkable amount, and they managed to get a safe, usable nuclear reactor into a bomber in the 50s. Never used it for anything, but they expected to be able to use it to propel the aircraft and got the mass down to about 30 tons, shielding included.
What for, though? I can't see why a blimp would need such a thing
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #116018 on: December 30, 2016, 06:14:59 pm »

Don't ask me man. That delicious atompunk flavor? The bombers would have used it because it let them fly supersonic for weeks, in theory.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116019 on: December 30, 2016, 06:55:06 pm »

In fact, you have to deliberately try in order to make them non-crystallic, by freezing them fast enough that they don't have the time to reorganize into crystallic form.
Ooh, is that actually a thing?  Chemistry is awesome!
It's technically called materials science, and the result of that process is called an amorphous solid. They (the metals, at least) have a lot of interesting properties different from the normal crystalline materials, like very high durability, resistance to breaking, corrosion resistance, and high magnetic permeability. Unfortunately, they tend to revert back to the polycrystalline state when subjected to high temperatures, and the process to get them is quite difficult (you have to cool the liquid metal extremely quickly, and it usually involves dropping it down on a rapidly rotating cooling surface) so their use is pretty limited.

There's another interesting application of very fast cooling, though, that can be used to create "materials with memory of form", which is not nearly as awesome as it sounds, because it's a one-time only trick, but it's still quite good.
._.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116020 on: December 30, 2016, 11:49:27 pm »

My brother and I have forgotten freezer beer at least a couple of times each...  The cleanup is a pain.
Happened to me for the first time about a week ago. Don't think I've ever learned the dangers of freezing tinnies before. Yikes.
At least it was only the ultra cheap stuff... wait, does this happen to glass bottles, too? That's terrifying.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116021 on: December 31, 2016, 02:57:47 am »

What hte hell.

Here's how it works. First, get a very large airship and float it above a city. Then attach a giant warehouse full of Amazon items to the bottom (actually, you should probably attach this before the floating, but the patent is vague on this point). This warehouse is constantly restocked by smaller airships, which bring personnel and supplies from the ground, as well as carrying away waste. People on the ground use their computers to browse items currently floating over their heads, and order whatever they want. Then drones grab the items, hurl themselves out of the airship, and engage their rotors as they approach the ground. The human receives his or her item from the drone, and the drone ascends back up to its floating palace of boxes and workers.

What is this, Blade Runner?!

I don't get the Blade Runner reference, but anyways, definetly ambitious.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #116022 on: December 31, 2016, 03:00:31 am »

What hte hell.

Here's how it works. First, get a very large airship and float it above a city. Then attach a giant warehouse full of Amazon items to the bottom (actually, you should probably attach this before the floating, but the patent is vague on this point). This warehouse is constantly restocked by smaller airships, which bring personnel and supplies from the ground, as well as carrying away waste. People on the ground use their computers to browse items currently floating over their heads, and order whatever they want. Then drones grab the items, hurl themselves out of the airship, and engage their rotors as they approach the ground. The human receives his or her item from the drone, and the drone ascends back up to its floating palace of boxes and workers.

What is this, Blade Runner?!

I don't get the Blade Runner reference, but anyways, definetly ambitious.

SKYPIRATES WHEN?!
It's FEF, not FEOF

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116023 on: December 31, 2016, 03:07:01 am »

Oh hell yeah, time to hijack a plane and launch an aerial heist on amazon.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #116024 on: December 31, 2016, 03:12:52 am »

I'm not sure if it's smart trying to assault a craft that is already planned to have a drone army under its command.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 7733 7734 [7735] 7736 7737 ... 11037