Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7704 7705 [7706] 7707 7708 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14490693 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #115575 on: December 19, 2016, 12:57:02 am »

i don't think you're furthering the decline of intelligence in a species by using that phrase unless you honestly consider your usage to be gained from the same context as in 1984 (i.e. newspeak), which it isn't

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #115576 on: December 19, 2016, 01:13:50 am »

Not to mention that (unless I am recalling incorrectly) 1984 newspeak was based entirely on the strong Sapir-Whorf conjecture, which is now generally considered to be bunk.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #115577 on: December 19, 2016, 07:04:09 am »

Android spell check is so fucking weird. I cannot understand half the things it does.

For example, if I use backspace to clear the first character after a word, it often duplicates the first character in the word. So if I have the word "dinosaur." and delete the period, there's a good chance the result is "ddinosaur". Why would anyone ever want that to happen?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #115578 on: December 19, 2016, 07:07:04 am »

i turned it off

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115579 on: December 19, 2016, 09:32:40 am »

Ah. Yeah, maybe I'm wrong, but I was using the seventies as around when Vietnam really started getting to its height. Maybe it just went on longer than I thought. I might look that up and find out. Woo, learning :P
Vietnam was really more of a 60's thing. Although if you ask the other side, they'd be continually at war since at least as early as 1941 (vs the Vichy French and the Japanese, then the French, then the Americans). That's part of the reason the USA lost: they thought a bit of bombing would cause the NVA to negotiate for peace, but they didn't bank on dealing with diehards who'd be constantly fighting for their lives for several decades.

Oooh. Fuck. I am bad at dates. I really wish I knew what exactly was making me think 'Vietnam = 70's' thing. Because now it's making me really curious :P

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115580 on: December 19, 2016, 09:50:23 am »

Because the Vietnam war lasted until 1975, maybe?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115581 on: December 19, 2016, 11:33:45 am »

As weird as it is... Whenever Lovecraft writes about American locations... in my head I just turn them into European locations.

There is just something about how he writes them that reminds me of old tiome England.

Perhaps it is the whole whispers behind your back, insular society of judging locales, hostile xenophobia barely restrained, and odd mix of politeness and rudeness at the same time.

Like for years I thought Innsmouth took place in the UK...

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115582 on: December 19, 2016, 11:38:44 am »

hostile xenophobia barely restrained
One wheel short of a wagon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115583 on: December 19, 2016, 11:40:40 am »

hostile xenophobia barely restrained

You never read English literature? It is one of the prime tenants.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115584 on: December 19, 2016, 11:41:57 am »

But how much rent does it pay?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115585 on: December 19, 2016, 11:48:29 am »

Damn that literature, giving the English a bad name. I've told them already to stop writing the bloody stuff; Conrad and Dickens did enough damage already.
One wheel short of a wagon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115586 on: December 19, 2016, 11:50:17 am »

Damn that literature, giving the English a bad name. I've told them already to stop writing the bloody stuff; Conrad and Dickens did enough damage already.

Mind you I don't mean real life modern England.

Heck a lot of the comedy of "Keeping Up Appearances" is to show that the whole "Old Tiome England" mindset is extremely dead and outdated... That the social ladder is pretty much not so much a thing anymore.

But Lovecraft's stuff feels a LOT more like "Old Tiome England" to me then Old Tiome America... to the point where... when they actually do, do American things I go "OHH YEAH this isn't some rural town in England or near the UK"

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115587 on: December 19, 2016, 12:26:58 pm »

HOLY FUDGE!!!

I am surprised people bring up the Flintstones cigarette commercial

Because I was watching it and we just had a father threaten to and I quote "Whip the living daylights out of" his 6-8 year old son if he lost the baseball game.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115588 on: December 19, 2016, 05:02:45 pm »

In the Netherlands,  prisoners convicted to long term imprisonments even have a right to have a 'social worker' tend to their sexual needs once every so often.
It's also available for certain chronically ill or disabled people. It's the only form of prostitution for which the workers classify as healthcare professionals, not as prostitutes.
At first this seemed bizarre and insane, but... I guess it's actually fairly sensible?
Oh Netherlands, you so progressive.

Blank Banshee is best vaporwave artist. Their entire first album is full of weird feelings and awesome music, but the song in that video is my favorite.
Yeah, I only just heard about Blank Banshee being a big-name vape artist a couple days or so before watching that video. It was a bit of a trip to follow the link in the description and discover that's who the song was by. It's pretty great, I'm giving it another listen now. Of course, the video is amazingly well-done too.
You should check out Telepath and Vaperror, oh and I should probably plug my friend's project, Access Internet アクセスインターネット.

For some reason, I typed out the first half of the above post days ago, then left it in a spare tab and never got around to completing it.
Well, here you go. Finally. I think I mainly just needed to listen to more vaporwave. *shrug*   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #115589 on: December 19, 2016, 05:15:06 pm »

HOLY FUDGE!!!

I am surprised people bring up the Flintstones cigarette commercial

Because I was watching it and we just had a father threaten to and I quote "Whip the living daylights out of" his 6-8 year old son if he lost the baseball game.

The worst of it is that Winston is an awful, awful brand. It is thin, flaky and tastes like straw. If you go out in a fog, it turns into mush in seconds, and a slight breeze will rip it apart. It is not worth the purchase at all. I wish they could have advertised a better brand.

Of course, the thing to remember with those old cartoons is to remember that they are not quite intended as children entertainment. The Flintstones later did turn into an exclusively child-oriented franchise, but it was not from the start. With a mixed audience, it rather makes sense to run a tobacco advert, if they are willing to pay.

EDIT: Oh, and to contribute to the Lovecraft talk about the setting. One thing I find quite adorable about a lot of Lovecraft is how, because it is set in the New World, anything older than two hundred odd years or so is ancient and foreboding. The man did not have much to work with, but it is rather amusing, how an old stable from about 1690 is given the treatment of an ancient Egyptian temple ruin in Lovecraft's hands.
Naturally, the 18th century was fairly long ago, but not quite to the degree that Lovecraft seems to have in mind, as if it is a primordial pre-historic age, lost in the stygian depths of Chronos, where not the argent rays of time and reflection itself may et cetera, et cetera.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 05:23:41 pm by Silverthrone »
Pages: 1 ... 7704 7705 [7706] 7707 7708 ... 11037