Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7647 7648 [7649] 7650 7651 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471858 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #114720 on: December 02, 2016, 01:30:12 am »

"Fam" is cancer.
Most slang is. I'd still be calling everyone ddde but the young'uns' shit annoys people more. Unless they use it unironically, then older material is better, dig?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #114721 on: December 02, 2016, 02:59:38 am »

I thought "lit" meant high, as in on drugs. Possibly from "having lit (and smoked) a joint".
Love, scriver~

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114722 on: December 02, 2016, 03:22:09 am »

lit means literal you philistines
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114723 on: December 02, 2016, 05:07:44 am »

I've mostly seen/heard lit (as an adjective) used interchangeably with words like "dope", "sweet", "dank", "sick" or "rad".   

Sweet is probably my go-to out of those, although dope sadly comes a close second and I'd love to start saying "rad" more often. "Lit" is fairly douchey, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #114724 on: December 02, 2016, 05:13:09 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This looks like a photo I'd find in Sara Is Missing.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114725 on: December 02, 2016, 06:33:48 am »

"Fam" is cancer.
Most slang is. I'd still be calling everyone ddde but the young'uns' shit annoys people more. Unless they use it unironically, then older material is better, dig?
That's not very lit of you, fams.
Black lives matter.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114726 on: December 02, 2016, 06:42:49 am »

Was watching Moana stuff, and was like 'Maui... That seems like a tongan/maori thing'.

Then I found out it was Tongan, Maori, Hawaiian, Samaoan, Mangraevan and Tahitian.
Like seriously how far did the polynesians travel?

But I did find it a bit annoying that once again the pacific gets a pacific-themed movie so much later than the rest of America.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #114727 on: December 02, 2016, 06:46:10 am »

Supposedly they colonized south America, didn't they?
Love, scriver~

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114728 on: December 02, 2016, 06:51:17 am »

Then I found out it was Tongan, Maori, Hawaiian, Samaoan, Mangraevan and Tahitian.
What? Um... Everywhere? They're called Pacific Islanders for a reason, they're pretty much on every island.

Supposedly they colonized south America, didn't they?
What
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114729 on: December 02, 2016, 07:00:36 am »

If they even reached it with canoes, I'd be more impressed than I was with the vinland vikings.
But I very much doubt they colonised it. Peruvian/Argentinian indigenous culture seems completely different, and New Zealand was apparently colonised by them in 1200AD, so they didn't have long before south america probably would've been seeing some Spaniards.

What? Um... Everywhere? They're called Pacific Islanders for a reason, they're pretty much on every island.
Yeah but I've been playing a lot of Hearts of Iron and it takes a damn long time to move modern boats between those islands.
Because clearly games are real life.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114730 on: December 02, 2016, 08:01:53 am »

Well, yeah it took forever (months or years of island hopping, in fact, and since they were the first, I'm sure that many many times more outriggers ended up floating off into the sunset because they didn't really know where they were going) but you only need a couple families to reach it once to colonize it permanently. Which then, a couple generations later, sent off their own wayward sons. Pacific Islander spread took hundreds, if not thousands of years. It's why their languages are related but not exactly (or nearly exactly) the same, like the British colonies languages are.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #114731 on: December 02, 2016, 08:40:38 am »

easter island (rapa nui) very much was colonised by polynesians

i don't remember if they colonised the mainland but there is evidence that they traded with the mainland nations

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #114732 on: December 02, 2016, 09:09:31 am »

easter island (rapa nui) very much was colonised by polynesians

i don't remember if they colonised the mainland but there is evidence that they traded with the mainland nations

There are six claims of evidence to support contact.

The presence of Sweet Potatoes in Polynesia is a fairly solid one, assuming that the sweet potato is accurately believed to be an American plant. There is all but conclusive evidence to support the Pre-Columbian presence of the plant, but it is possible that it was spread by non-human means.

The other solid claim is that Peruvian mummies have been found to be preserved with the sap of a specific sort of tree that is only known to grow in the South Pacific. The specific example tested is dated to around AD 1200. This is the solidest bit of evidence, as any non-human means of transport would have resulted in the actual tree being present. The alternative theory is that the tree used to be present but died out.

Linguistically, there are two words -the one for axe and the one for sweet potato- that are very similar in South American languages and Polynesian ones. This could be evidence of contact, but could also be a coincidence. That the word for sweet potato is one of the two (and the stronger connection) does support it as evidence, given that the sweet potato is also considered evidence of contact.

There are some trace genetic similarities between the peoples of South America and those of Polynesia, but they are too weak to suggest colonization. The possibility that these result from trade missions is a sound one, however.

The other two commonly cited evidences have been debunked. A few California tribes operated a similar type of canoe to that used by the Polynesians (and dissimilar to that of other Amerindian tribes), but there is too much evidence of them developing the things for it to have been a copy. It was once thought that the chickens used in both places were related, with one group getting them from the other, but DNA testing has proved this to be false. Polynesia got their chickens from Asia, while the Americas had a native variety.

In short, there is some evidence to suggest Pre-Columbian contact, but there's not enough to prove it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #114733 on: December 02, 2016, 12:33:12 pm »

Coming soon to the internet near you: Pirates of the Caribbean!

Literally...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114734 on: December 02, 2016, 12:37:55 pm »

Fully legally compliant!
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 7647 7648 [7649] 7650 7651 ... 11037