Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7543 7544 [7545] 7546 7547 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14485438 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #113160 on: November 10, 2016, 03:23:22 pm »

Its like Neoskinner out there.
I guess it's a little scary, but I actually find it pretty inspiring.  I'm used to getting addicted to meaningless grind, so it's nice to see it turned around to a good purpose.  Helps redeem that lost time, you know?
I do get that I'm listing "susceptible to indoctrination" as an upside, though...

The phenomenon's been around for a while of course, with stuff like Duolingo for example.  Or the old Pokemon pedometers.

Sorta related...  I realized yesterday that Pokemon Go could be an offline app, the way I play it.  I should probably hang out downtown more, that's where people use lures and congregate.  I did meet a lot of players a couple nights after release, I wonder how many are still playing?  The gym system is pretty lame without other people helping.

Otherwise it's basically just SpecTrek - which, ooh!  Got updated this year, maybe it actually works again!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #113161 on: November 10, 2016, 03:25:01 pm »

There's been at least 8, TA, apparently.

And sho, the stuff about supporting conversion therapy's pretty substantiated, last I checked (i.e. about a minute ago). Probably worded something wrong, but there's no question that the practice itself, which he advocated for to whatever degree, is what it is, or that he's been willing to speak for allowing it. He's slime, so yeah, he hasn't actually gone out and yelled zap the gays or somethin', but any support for that shit is too far. Even if you're trying to worm your way out of admitting support for the most egregious parts of the practice (such as the electroshock stuff), it's still something that has been regularly shown to severely fuck up the people that it's inflicted on. There ain't much mitigation you can do when it comes to how bad the practice is.

Till he actually comes out on camera rejecting the practice outright, m'not particularly inclined to giving him slack, m'self.
they meant that the 8 suicides were unsubstantiated, sweetheart <3

I didn't even notice that this was a reply to me until he posted, but Descan is correct.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #113162 on: November 10, 2016, 03:25:28 pm »

they meant that the 8 suicides were unsubstantiated, sweetheart <3
Ah, fair enough. It'll make me feel better if they still are in a day or two, heh.

... that's a weird statement, though, SL. Last time I was substantially active I dropped a good 20, 25 lbs, and my diet didn't change much at all. And I wasn't explicitly exercising or anything, just moving around a lot more. And, uh. Other than the fluctuations when I'm in a particularly busy part of my life, I've weighed about the same since I was like 12. So, at least from my experience, increased activity alone is pretty good for at least some weight loss.

And yeah, so far as exercise goes giving some kind of goal or something to actually do tends to help a lot. Even just having it be kinda' fun helps, as kids and jungle gyms and whatnot display readily.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113163 on: November 10, 2016, 03:28:48 pm »

Yeah, I don't know where the idea comes from.  I eat a lot, usually thick carbs like potatoes and pasta, but I only gain weight when I get too sedentary for a while.  Heck I usually eat *more* when I exercise, as a reward.  Exercise totally manages weight.

Edit:  And by "exercise" I'm just talking about walking a couple miles, generally.  Not hitting the gym or doing cardio and whatnot.  Being a little active really adds up day-by-day.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 03:32:58 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #113164 on: November 10, 2016, 03:30:06 pm »

Or the old Pokemon pedometers.

I used to have a pikachu that counted my steps.  Of course I found out how to cheat by holding it in my hands and walking.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113165 on: November 10, 2016, 03:31:55 pm »

Pokemon go is horrible. We had to threaten Niantec with lawsuit before they were willing to remove Pokemon go spawns from designated nature preserve areas. Too late. Already trampled in the initial hype rage.
Don't worry though, they didn't remove the spawns in front of the windows of the red light district. Kids can still go to the hookers.
STD gotta catch them all
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 03:35:49 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113166 on: November 10, 2016, 03:32:46 pm »

Thats what I find so disturbing.  not that people are playing a game or losing weight but that they are losing 30lbs by chasing around virtual monsters on a virtually construsted world.  Its being shown people could get into shape if they wanted to.  but it takes a game, a carrot on a stick, a piece of cheese at the end, to really produce a result.

you walked 2 miles today!  Heres a Shiney yellow Pikachu sticker

Its like Neoskinner out there.

Thing is, there is a carrot, stick, and cheese(?) the incentivize excercise in the real world. They just need a virtual incentive rather than a real one.
One wheel short of a wagon

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #113167 on: November 10, 2016, 03:35:19 pm »

Not so much virtual as "something that actually interests them", methinks. The normal carrots and sticks aren't particularly enticing for some folks.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113168 on: November 10, 2016, 03:36:34 pm »

And eating too many carrots gives me a stomach ache.
She/they

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113169 on: November 10, 2016, 03:36:44 pm »

Hmm... I suspect it comes down to the ability of game designers to make something addictive.

One wheel short of a wagon

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113170 on: November 10, 2016, 03:43:39 pm »

Not so much virtual as "something that actually interests them", methinks. The normal carrots and sticks aren't particularly enticing for some folks.
But how can you crush your enemies if you don't get in shape? :<
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #113171 on: November 10, 2016, 03:43:59 pm »

So, been re-reading Let the Right One In lately, and noticed that I've more or less synced myself up with the dates in that book. It's pretty odd. Even better, the year's first snow synced up pretty well, too. It's strange, because you usually don't get snow, even if it's just a light dusting, this early on the coast. It's november, and the proper snow usually takes until december or january, when the sea has cooled off. Very fitting for the atmosphere, though.

It'll be gone by saturday, though. King Winter is still just doing dress rehersals.

Imagine if they could link physical work-out to stat building in an RPG. I'd be proper ripped presently.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113172 on: November 10, 2016, 04:04:46 pm »

Aren't embryonic stem cells the important ones anyway?

They are both important.

Embryonic are the ones that in theory could allow you to regrow entire arms... But are also the hardest to work with and with the highest rate of catastrophic side effects.

Basically one is Diesel and the other is Rocket Fuel.
This is outdated. The reason there isn't much of a focus on fetal stem cells any more is because their value relative to adult stem cells has been reduced. It used to be a big thing because fetal cells were the only source of pluripotent (ie. capable of becoming almost any human cell) stem cells.

Now, however, we are able to induce adult cells to produce pluripotency through gene therapy. The subject's blood is filtered and the cells are collected. This has two major benefits:

A. You can harvest from everybody, not just the small portion of fetuses that have cells worth harvesting who are also donated for this purpose.

B. Genetic match with the host of any improvements.

Fetal cells aren't useless (totipotency is outside our reach and the fetal cells remain more effective on average), but we've already claimed the major breakthrough we were using them for from another source. And as for their medical usage, we're getting there.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #113173 on: November 10, 2016, 04:14:32 pm »

Imagine if they could link physical work-out to stat building in an RPG. I'd be proper ripped presently.
All you really need is a modified version of Habitica, possibly connected to a pedometer or pacemaker thing, or to those Brain Train Apps. It can give you short quizzes related to material you're supposed to be studying, see how quickly you respond to emails and how long you spend on social media, rate your face for Charisma...

Okay, maybe the last one would have some issues.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #113174 on: November 10, 2016, 04:21:21 pm »

Nope.  I have 11 charisma.

My stronk is probably a solid 13
My dex is 6 :(
My constitution is 9
My int is 11
My wis is 10

My class is mary sue
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 7543 7544 [7545] 7546 7547 ... 11037