Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7437 7438 [7439] 7440 7441 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14485818 times)

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #111570 on: October 23, 2016, 05:59:11 pm »

Yes, they are sort of responsible as an additional child teaching and upbringing vector now. Which does feel a bit odd to say, but since they're entirely intended for kids, it's fair enough.

The reason why a lot of old Disney shorts aren't super Hey, Kids!tm park 'em with the pad friendly is because they weren't really made with just kids in mind, but as filler for adult audiences in the cinema. Hence the guns, booze, smoking and suicide gags and references, along with shorts like Goofy trying and failing to stop smoking. You know, the fodder for all of those "ermg top 20 BAAAAAANNED cartoons from 50s!11" clips and playlists on Youtube. It's fascinating how deeply the idea that it's exclusively child material has taken root, considering it's only some 40 years old.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #111571 on: October 23, 2016, 06:03:04 pm »

The only thing I have to add to this is a 'dads penis' joke
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111572 on: October 24, 2016, 04:47:43 am »

So watching a plot where someone installed a talking statue on their lawn so loud it can be heard inside your house... set for a loop at all times of the night.

Now... The character is trying to find a way to get rid of the statue without just going Berserk and destroying it.

But I am here and going "If you can hear it, inside your bed room... Then it is a clear noise violation and you can just get rid of it.

---

What is odd is I thought it would be one of those plots where the character tries so hard to be polite that they meander around not doing anything when in fact the people involved are fully willing to capitulate.

I mean... The statue in REAL life would likely have a motion sensor.

But no... They are just evil...

---

I don't think show knows how to properly do a comedy of errors.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #111573 on: October 24, 2016, 05:05:55 am »

So recently I've been getting into Dwarf fortress again, with the masterwork mod. And Ill freely admit I haven't played in a looonng time. I think the last time I played was a little dip into adventure mode when towers and night creatures were new.

So anyway, I'm running an orc fort and still doing some early setup. I have some small little houses for my starting orcs and plans to start walling in the area, and a nice cabin for my clan leader. When I notice.... Is that smoke coming from the trees?!

So I panic and check if the trees are somehow on fire... "Cherry flowers"

I look a bit more, these are cherry trees. They're blossoming and spreading cute pink petals like they're wont to do.

I was spooked by blossoming cherry trees. God dammit DF.
Were you worried about... cherry bombs?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #111574 on: October 24, 2016, 05:06:10 am »

So recently I've been getting into Dwarf fortress again, with the masterwork mod. And Ill freely admit I haven't played in a looonng time. I think the last time I played was a little dip into adventure mode when towers and night creatures were new.
[...]
I was spooked by blossoming cherry trees. God dammit DF.
Thanks for the nudge into getting me back into playing the newest ones :3 Or at least downloading them.
Stories! :D

So, a few days back a signal 3 storm hit our area, we're conducting repairs at the moment (hooray local services!).
At the front of our gate is a tiny spiderweb with its one occupant right at the area where the hinges are--so the web bends and partially collapses whenever the gate is opened 90 degrees. This web was present before the storm, and its occupant happy with a tiny stock of webbed food.
A few days ago right after the storm (in itself a surprising thing, from howling winds and heavy rain to a clear sunny day), I checked the area and saw the web still there along with its occupant, until today. While the strands attaching the whole thing are a bit loose, probably due to age, I'm somewhat happy to see it alive and thriving :D And as an aside, reminded of how awesome thought and awareness is by all the pondering about 'woah how did it live' or 'wow look at the flexibility of the web' or 'I didn't notice those strands holding the web are made of many smaller strands!'

I tried to take a picture but my phone can't pick up the tiny details of the web and spider, needed to contrast the black gate and the white wall/post it is attached to. :I

E:
Recently stumbled through Youtube and found myself watching a Starcraft Match...
I found myself wondering. Wow this guy is clicking like really fast. Then I remembered that apparently thats a good thing to do, APM and all that...
Now wondering if there is an RAPM. Or REDUNDANT actions per minute. [...]
I've always wondered why people frantically click their mice when they want a character to move there--in the least I've seen these whenever I watch others play Dota/2 (or MOBAs in general) and the like. All I've wondered is 'maybe this prepares them for tense events', though it always surprised me because I can handle those events just the same with a ton less clicking (so then I wondered 'maybe its how they organize?')
But it's such a common behavior. ._.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 05:19:45 am by Tiruin »

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #111575 on: October 24, 2016, 05:55:50 am »

Recently stumbled through Youtube and found myself watching a Starcraft Match...
I found myself wondering. Wow this guy is clicking like really fast. Then I remembered that apparently thats a good thing to do, APM and all that...
I've always wondered why people frantically click their mice when they want a character to move there--in the least I've seen these whenever I watch others play Dota/2 (or MOBAs in general) and the like. All I've wondered is 'maybe this prepares them for tense events', though it always surprised me because I can handle those events just the same with a ton less clicking (so then I wondered 'maybe its how they organize?')
A friend who plays a lot of LoL seems to think that it's to stop you getting bored while playing. I think another friend, who plays DoTA2 not LoL, once said that it was to make you harder to hit.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #111576 on: October 24, 2016, 06:44:15 am »

There's apparently going to be a meeting in about a week with some experts and a supervisor of Siemens's Metal Processing and Engineering department and students from our university's department

and apparently there is going to be some traineeship program offer

it's weird because I haven't heard of any partnership programs between our university and them
._.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111577 on: October 24, 2016, 07:01:37 am »

A friend who plays a lot of LoL seems to think that it's to stop you getting bored while playing. I think another friend, who plays DoTA2 not LoL, once said that it was to make you harder to hit.

In lol I'm not sure since pathing isn't nearly as much of an issue there since the terrain is a lot simpler and easier to traverse, but in DotA2 it can be pretty crucial since you actualy have to path through trees and the like, and the optimal path tends to change slightly as your character moves around the terrain, uses abilities and whatnot, so clicking frequently ensures you're taking the optimal path. When you're not actualy going anywhere, you still keep clicking around to keep your character moving, to make you harder to hit and predict. A character that has been contantly moving around is harder to predict than one that was just standing still and suddenly started repositioning itself to use an ability, for example.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #111578 on: October 24, 2016, 08:35:41 am »

That's true in FPSes where random slight movements can throw off someone's aim, but I seriously doubt it in MOBAs. Sounds like the "my attention span is so short that I might get bored walking from spawn to lane" explanation to me.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111579 on: October 24, 2016, 08:38:14 am »

That's true in FPSes where random slight movements can throw off someone's aim, but I seriously doubt it in MOBAs. Sounds like the "my attention span is so short that I might get bored walking from spawn to lane" explanation to me.
um, it's actually more true in MOBAs than in FPSs, by a pretty large margin, because there is much more projectile travel time.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #111580 on: October 24, 2016, 08:44:53 am »

um, it's actually more true in MOBAs than in FPSs, by a pretty large margin, because there is much more projectile travel time.
Depends on FPS in question, really. Tribes: Ascend has Fusion Mortars which can take like a dozen seconds to reach its destination at large distances. I still sometimes managed to kill people with it at those ranges, though, because it has ridiculous AoE and damage.
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111581 on: October 24, 2016, 08:48:52 am »

You know... if there is one credit I have to give Gumball over basically any show in existence.

It is that it actually created a situation where one person loves another, but that person is repulsed by them.

And actually made the happy ending "And he found out he actually liked her".

Mostly because he was such a put upon character and having someone to love and dote upon him kind of was a nice reward...

---

Ok here is a WTF for you people:

A lot of the time people joke around and go something like "Who are you the fashion police?"

Well believe it or not... There have been Fashion Police before who actually could bestow terrible punishments upon you.

It was actually not as uncommon as you would think (Being illegal to wear clothing better than your caste/income)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 08:54:41 am by Neonivek »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #111582 on: October 24, 2016, 09:07:26 am »

There still are folks like that in places like Saudi Arabia and Iran and... other places.

They're religious folks though, and charge folk for religious violations which include things like "art are you wearing!? Too much ankle!" /a little bit racist
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #111583 on: October 24, 2016, 09:09:57 am »

Tribes is different though, since the main weapon (I mean, apart from Ascend shitty rifles) in them is iconic Spinfusor and thanks to how game works you can go faster than the projectiles but once you master the Spinfusor you're a God among mortals. I remember the insane shots I pulled out in Venegance. Best days of my FPS life, a shame that the game never really took off.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111584 on: October 24, 2016, 09:55:20 am »

Playing the first Witcher, and I'm WTFing about the sex scenes. Not only do most of the erotic portraits you unlock for getting the scene look nothing like the women themselves, the setups for some of these scenes is ridiculous most of the time. The most recent I've gotten to, the witch Abigail, happens when you find her in a cave(that you broke into from another cave and neither expected to find each other) while she's brewing a spell to kill an entire angry mob... since said mob is right outside the cave with torches and pitchforks. With the right(and entirely obvious) dialogue choices, Geralt and Abigail with get it on. While the angry mob waits patiently outside. And while several children(that Geralt just rescued from the other cave) look on. Okay, I get it, Witchers can have all the consequence-free sex they want due to their infertility and immunity to disease(which I assume means they can't be carriers either), but come on, there's a time and place for something like that, Geralt!

Also, I didn't expect the picture of Abigail you get afterwards to basically say "Look! I just murdered a small animal for a pagan ritual, have sex with me".
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 7437 7438 [7439] 7440 7441 ... 11037