Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7416 7417 [7418] 7419 7420 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14488233 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #111255 on: October 18, 2016, 04:22:45 pm »

Nothing on tv, just had bbc on in the background, overhear ST:TNG starting up, catch La Forge saying something.

Geordi: [something something] -291 Celsius

Goddammit LeVar.
It...It doesn't work like that...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #111256 on: October 18, 2016, 04:25:09 pm »

Particles moving backwards.
One wheel short of a wagon

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #111257 on: October 18, 2016, 04:26:33 pm »

I actually remember that, too.

And no, negative temperature is real, just... not cold. In fact, it's actually the opposite of cold.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #111258 on: October 18, 2016, 04:33:56 pm »

Not so much on my part as intended to inspire it, re: the thread topic. Better TinEye that shit ya fooken reckon?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111259 on: October 18, 2016, 04:43:22 pm »

I actually remember that, too.

And no, negative temperature is real, just... not cold. In fact, it's actually the opposite of cold.
Yeah, negative Kelvin is possible, but it's never discussed in Celsius, and it's actually hot.  *sigh*
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #111260 on: October 18, 2016, 04:56:20 pm »

Isn't -291 C still far further than anything man created? What were they even talking about that has a temperature that low?

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #111261 on: October 18, 2016, 05:06:29 pm »

-273.15 C is absolute zero, and we haven't reached it yet (... though the sciencefaces have gotten damn close). As for the other question, good question! Probably science. :v

edit: ... Well shit, i'm wrong. :P

The Honkening has landed in Finland.

It was inevitable.

Don't worry. There's already anti-clown patrols in Sweden, they'll likely form up right quick now that the clowning around has spread to Finland, too. A few would-be Joker's gotten their stupid red noses pounded in already, and I doubt the Finnish clown-patrols will be far behind.
It's in Denmark too, although i haven't encountered any. The police aren't happy with their shenanigans. :v
Clearly, what i need to do is practice my death glare. I'm fortunate enough to have facial features that lend themselves exceptionally well to that, and i'm not even saying that to toot my own masculinity (not that i'm a terribly masculine guy to begin with). I suspect that the fun of being a scary clown quickly goes away when someone, instead of running away, reacts with a murderous glare. :P (though of course that'd ideally be followed by a quick thumping, but that i cannot deliver)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:10:13 pm by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #111262 on: October 18, 2016, 05:12:46 pm »

We haven't reached absolute zero because absolute zero cannot be reached. It's an asymptote, a singularity, like the speed of light.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111263 on: October 18, 2016, 05:14:00 pm »

We haven't reached absolute zero because absolute zero cannot be reached. It's an asymptote, a singularity, like the speed of light.
Yeah.  If you reach negative Kelvin you overflowed the universe's temperature datatype and wrapped around.
Sigtext

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #111264 on: October 18, 2016, 05:25:42 pm »

no don't say that people might actually believe it

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111265 on: October 18, 2016, 05:38:00 pm »

So the first result is this: http://physicscentral.com/explore/action/negative-temperature.cfm
By very suddenly turning the valley of the optical lattice into a hill, the researchers essentially “flipped” the entire system around, causing the atoms to go into the upper edge of their lowest energy band.

In an everyday sense, temperature describes an objects warmth or coolness. In science class, we are told that the temperature of an object is defined as the average kinetic energy (motion energy) of all the atoms that make up an object. The more the atoms that make up an object jiggle around (more motion energy), the warmer the object is.

[2 paragraphs of explaining that, standard high school physics]

But there are other types of temperatures and other definitions of temperature. The one of importance for “below absolute zero” has to do with a definition used in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. In thermodynamics, temperature is a macroscopic property, and the microstates of the system determine this and other properties.

So what I'm getting is that, no, things can't get any less energetic than "not energetic" (and they can't get there except theoretically, in fact IIRC the entire universe would have to be nonenergetic).

But there's some other phenomenon which is sorta like temperature and it's being called temperature and it can go negative.
WTF, whatever.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #111266 on: October 18, 2016, 05:42:20 pm »

Also have a look at the article i edited in, it's pretty fascinating, since they also mention going very slightly below absolute zero, which causes a number of odd effects (including, apparently, replicating the effects of dark energy). But, the zero itself still hasn't been reached, they just merrily skipped past it by abusing quantum mechanics. Or uh, something like that, i can't claim to actually understand it. :v
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #111267 on: October 18, 2016, 06:01:39 pm »

universe.kelvinByte(-129);

VV     (º<_øø  )
   s̩͊ͫ͡h̼̝ͯͬ͟i̜̹͓̪̥͇ͬ̿̕t̐͑ͫ̑͏( º_ゝ                   ø)      h̡̖̓ͭ͐̚e̵͓̭̣͐̀ ̱͍͆̋ͨ͢c̩̬̲̪ͤo͗ͪ̂͑̀ͭ̈m͇̗͎̥̤̰̐̈͐͋͒̈́e̱͔͉͕̊̽̾͝s̸̗̳̬̬̭ͪ͆̒͐̇
    /  ⌒
    /   \ ẁ͈͖̞̍ͣ̐̔̊ͥ͞ͅh́̌ͭ͑͐̀y̨̫̥̹̲ͭ̒̄̉
πœ    | |
                             w̱̟̌ͩh̨̻͔̹y̴̌̓̎ͤͫͬ̒
   / ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄/  |   |     ∑´∫
  __(__ニつ/                           PHYSICS / ___.| .|____
      \/__                __/    (u ⊃
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 01:53:03 pm by Calidovi »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #111268 on: October 18, 2016, 06:04:33 pm »

But there's some other phenomenon which is sorta like temperature and it's being called temperature and it can go negative.

What you'll quickly learn is that all cases such as this were you being lied to as to the definition in the first place. The temperature that can go negative is the same temperature as what you use normally.

Like how momentum is mv, but really it's actually E/c, but that's harder to calculate for massive bodies (while being exactly equal for massive bodies) so you weren't taught that and now people freak right out over being told that light has momentum despite being massless god DAMMIT

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #111269 on: October 18, 2016, 06:14:33 pm »

Did you know that "C:/Users/<name>/AppData/Local" contains a "link" of some sort to... "C:/Users/<name>/AppData"? (in Windows 10)

I say "link" because it doesn't seem to be a NTFS hardlink, and it certainly isn't a .lnk file, it's some kind of odd link type I have only ever seen used to provide "aliases" to promote backward compatibility.

Anyway, how I found this out is rsync complaining about paths that are to long when backing up my AppData directory, this despite the fact that rsync was told to never follow any links. I guess whoever wrote the part of cygwin that handles this kind of thing didn't know about this little issue...

Further investigation shows that there are several other "loops" like this in the user directory, sigh...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS
Pages: 1 ... 7416 7417 [7418] 7419 7420 ... 11037