Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7342 7343 [7344] 7345 7346 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14485103 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #110145 on: September 30, 2016, 09:17:11 pm »

Anything that tries to be really progressive will look regressive (racist/sexist) rather quickly as well.
Something tells me he was not trying to be progressive at all.

I am not referring to Game of Thrones or Conan the Barbarian... I was speaking highly in general.

I'd make the example of the Super Friends... but it hits such a weird spot... that I am not sure.

Lets go with Original Star Trek!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 09:19:04 pm by Neonivek »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110146 on: September 30, 2016, 09:19:07 pm »

Though in Beyond the Black River he gets a bit... confused as to what colour picts are supposed to have. Toward the beginning, it is stated that they are white, but towards the end he keeps describing them as black.
Those are the especially-heavily tattooed ones! :P

Dany's plot is just the weakest and most boring shit in it.
I dunno, I think Jon Snow's is probably worse.
At least Dany's has Jorah (well, kinda) and [SPOILERS I GUESS], amongst a few other interesting characters.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #110147 on: September 30, 2016, 09:20:27 pm »

Though in Beyond the Black River he gets a bit... confused as to what colour picts are supposed to have. Toward the beginning, it is stated that they are white, but towards the end he keeps describing them as black.
Those are the especially-heavily tattooed ones! :P

Dany's plot is just the weakest and most boring shit in it.
I dunno, I think Jon Snow's is probably worse.
At least Dany's has Jorah (well, kinda) and [SPOILERS I GUESS], amongst a few other interesting characters.

Jon's one is also the most ridiculous. Isn't he still a teenager?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #110148 on: September 30, 2016, 09:21:39 pm »

GoT's great, fuck you on about. Dany's plot is just the weakest and most boring shit in it.
Dany's plot gets more interesting when she's thought of as both a villain and a hero. She's the eminent example of why dragons are such a big deal. From the start of the story, she's nobody. Her whole existence is essentially to end up a sex slave (if a high-class one) until the dragons come into play.

Then everything goes out the window and nobody really knows how to react. And as her understanding of just how much power she has grows alongside her frustrations with the state of the world, people start dying. Is it right to impose your morals on others if those morals are things like "rape and slavery are bad"? Guess what, doesn't matter. Dragons. Die.

It's no wonder the mad king ended up the way he did, and he didn't even have dragons. Dany has three, the same number that conquered half the civilized world because the other half wasn't worth bothering with.

Thing is, when Dany makes moral compromises it isn't the kind that people normally make, because instead of having limited power she has unlimited power. Compare her and Tyrion's solutions to Slaver's Bay. Tyrion gives them a chance to adjust in exchange for peace and loyalty, compromising the rights of the slaves for another decade. Dany gives them mass death via dragon, compromising not committing genocide in exchange for immediate compliance regardless of other factors.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110149 on: September 30, 2016, 09:25:42 pm »

Her whole existence is essentially to end up a sex slave

Ehh you act like that is a bad thing :P

She was more distraught at the fact that she wasn't the sexiest sex slave ever! So she took sex lessons.

Then again her Husband is more of a plot device then a person.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 09:31:00 pm by Neonivek »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #110150 on: September 30, 2016, 09:30:50 pm »

There was a great deal of sex slaviness in the more "civilized" lands man. A woman's job was to bear heirs,  min.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110151 on: September 30, 2016, 09:33:54 pm »

There was a great deal of sex slaviness in the more "civilized" lands man. A woman's job was to bear heirs,  min.

I do find it funny because in REAL LIFE... Women actually had more power with these "Barbarians" but because Barbarians need to be backwards evil versions of Europeans...

Though I do love how much of a Mamma's boy Ancient Mongols were: "No one is Kahn to their mother"
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 09:40:46 pm by Neonivek »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110152 on: September 30, 2016, 10:22:08 pm »

Quote from: all y'all
[yearbook quotes]
i think you all know what i would have put as my quote

IF I HAD ONE
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #110153 on: September 30, 2016, 10:28:50 pm »

Quote from: all y'all
[yearbook quotes]
i think you all know what i would have put as my quote

IF I HAD ONE
"Sire, contact the lady's backside"?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #110154 on: September 30, 2016, 10:32:43 pm »

Dany's plot gets more interesting when she's thought of as both a villain and a hero. She's the eminent example of why dragons are such a big deal. From the start of the story, she's nobody. Her whole existence is essentially to end up a sex slave (if a high-class one) until the dragons come into play.
In the books Khal Drogo wasn't rapey didn't rape Dany.  I mean there was still the whole arranged marriage aspect but book was very explicit on this point.  Her getting married to Khal is no more or less sex slavery than, say, Cersei getting married to Robert.  Not that the Dothraki in the book are anything other than shallow, centuries old stereotypes of the mongol empire turned up to 11.

What gets me about Dany is that at the start she doesn't seem to give a shit about the crown.  She sets off on this course that gets many people killed basically because everyone expected her to.  IRRC her main motivation that wasn't forced on her by someone else was remembering this house she used to live in when she was younger and how much she wanted to go back.  I dunno, I remember judging Dany for that quite a lot.  Gonna go on a war of conquest you should at least want what you're conquering.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110155 on: September 30, 2016, 10:34:37 pm »

@Truean:*hugs*

Life doesn't follow a script, sadly.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110156 on: September 30, 2016, 10:38:43 pm »

In the books Khal Drogo wasn't rapey didn't rape Dany.  I mean there was still the whole arranged marriage aspect but book was very explicit on this point.  Her getting married to Khal is no more or less sex slavery than, say, Cersei getting married to Robert.  Not that the Dothraki in the book are anything other than shallow, centuries old stereotypes of the mongol empire turned up to 11.

What gets me about Dany is that at the start she doesn't seem to give a shit about the crown.  She sets off on this course that gets many people killed basically because everyone expected her to.  IRRC her main motivation that wasn't forced on her by someone else was remembering this house she used to live in when she was younger and how much she wanted to go back.  I dunno, I remember judging Dany for that quite a lot.  Gonna go on a war of conquest you should at least want what you're conquering.

Psst, mongol stereotypes with no horse archers or hit and run tactics. Basically mongols without the things that made mongols scary and interesting. No tengri either.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:40:19 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110157 on: September 30, 2016, 10:39:24 pm »

Ok here is a television trend that needs to die!

Revenge Spouses...

So a couple gets divorced so the woman goes out of her way to find a man who is the exact opposite of the one she married...

Even though he will almost always end up being a total freeken weenie who they clearly don't really love...

Note: I am not including when one of them marries a genuinely better husband/wife.

What is odd is I am always waiting for the show to sort of turn it around and show exactly why this weenie is the person they love... maybe they are dependable, emotionally stable, or I dunno super rich SOMETHING!...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110158 on: September 30, 2016, 11:12:03 pm »

In a way, it's bitter, because MGR is undeniable proof that the soul of Metal Gear can survive even when you totally throw away its traditional gameplay and character focus.

And now we have "Metal Gear Survive". Fucking Konami.

ALL I WANT IS MGR2 KONAMI, JUST LET PLATINUM DO IT AND FUCK OFF. WHY ARE YOU NOT EVEN RATIONAL BASTARDS?
this
all of this

I just want to play as Raiden again and rip and tear to sick jams okay is that such a crime
So I finally got my hands on a real XBOX controller (my desktop refused to recognize the totally valid USB controller that worked great on my laptop) and got back into Revengeance.

Gosh this game is even more fun and less frustrating when I can ACTUALLY PARRY THINGS
LITERALLY
EVER
:P
No seriously I thought I was parrying before, but I was just interrupting with quick attacks.  The mouse+keyboard controls are fricken broken.  And yet I still loved the game enough to get to the Sam fight (the real one, not the one in the first chapter).  Monsoon in particular was ABSURDLY easier with parrying, I'm surprised I managed without it.  Even with the medic armor giving me more health nanomachines.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110159 on: September 30, 2016, 11:14:24 pm »

Oh!  Something that made me WTF today: Was playing Risk of Rain.  Started at, say, 4:00 PM.  When I finally beat the last boss, in-game timer reads 160 minutes.  My phone's clock read 8 PM.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 7342 7343 [7344] 7345 7346 ... 11037