Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7330 7331 [7332] 7333 7334 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14485229 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #109965 on: September 28, 2016, 04:52:02 pm »

Eh, the salt in me doesn't even come from the fact that I got warned for it, it comes from the fact that I kept not using it for long time while people slided it in there and there and the first time I actually accidentally slipped up Toady gets on my ass.
I must say that the -friend terms are fucking hilarious though.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109966 on: September 28, 2016, 04:55:34 pm »

Eh, the salt in me doesn't even come from the fact that I got warned for it, it comes from the fact that I kept not using it for long time while people slided it in there and there and the first time I actually accidentally slipped up Toady gets on my ass.
I must say that the -friend terms are fucking hilarious though.
I mean in context it's functionally the same meaning when used in-group. chinners just use it to refer to everyone. Like how dude is no longer a gendered term any more apparently, which I welcome, because dude is one of the least objectionable generationalisms IMO.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #109967 on: September 28, 2016, 04:56:37 pm »

Well your avatar is a "remembrance" for a person who recently got banned for using said word and another player who had a similar av got warned for using the same word after changing their av back... I'm not sure you really have any case for an "I didn't know!" defense.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #109968 on: September 28, 2016, 05:01:41 pm »

You do realize I already got banned for the same thing before? :P
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #109969 on: September 28, 2016, 05:02:08 pm »

This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109970 on: September 28, 2016, 05:02:32 pm »

You do realize I already got banned for the same thing before? :P

You should totes know better then :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109971 on: September 28, 2016, 05:04:05 pm »

The Pepe meme is officially declared a hate symbol.

wake me up inside
Not to deny you your WTF, but I think that's come up in this thread a few times already :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109972 on: September 28, 2016, 05:05:29 pm »

But it's worth reading and laughing at every single time.

Alex Goldman, a host of the podcast Reply All, which tells stories about the internet, described 4chan in a recent show as “like a nightmarish cesspool that is full of offensive stuff.”
OH HOLD ME I CAN'T BREATHE IS THIS REAL LIFE IS THAT A REAL SENTENCE THAT SOMEONE WAS PAID TO WRITE

“Once again, racists and haters have taken a popular internet meme and twisted it for their own purposes of spreading bigotry and harassing users,” Jonathan A. Greenblatt, the league’s chief executive, said in the release.
smh it's run by a cishet white male too, and not even that, but a dudebro who calls people "haters" unironically

"Man you're a member of Stormfront? Stop being such a hater brah you're killin' my buzz!"

3. Run Resize Enable

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109973 on: September 28, 2016, 05:07:33 pm »

The weird thing is, if you replace Pepe the Frog with pretty much anything else in the images, those images are still offensive so... I'm kinda finding it difficult to accept that somehow this is now a hate symbol in and of itself.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #109974 on: September 28, 2016, 05:10:07 pm »

This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109975 on: September 28, 2016, 05:11:14 pm »

I feel like I shouldn't ask, but how exactly did the image of a frog used to symbolize bad feels become a racist/hate symbol? What, if anything, was the reason behind that?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109976 on: September 28, 2016, 05:12:50 pm »

From what I read yesterday, Pepe the Frog was used in images dressed like a KKK member and various things like that, hence the new status as vicious hate symbol.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #109977 on: September 28, 2016, 05:13:29 pm »

I know, the point is that it lost it's meaning so well that I used it in rush and didin't even consider it could be offensive to anyone. I didin't even remember I used it which is why I was confused as hell at first when I got the message that I got warned. For the past maybe a year I usually catched it beforehand, even when I saw other people use it, which makes it especially goddamn annoying because I really didin't even mean it. It would be worthy warn if I actually insulted anyone. :/

“Once again, racists and haters have taken a popular internet meme and twisted it for their own purposes of spreading bigotry and harassing users,” Jonathan A. Greenblatt, the league’s chief executive, said in the release.
At this point I honestly think that some people stumble on 4chan and without any prior knowledge they start to take everything they see there seriously.

/tg/ is the pretty normal part, though I certainly could see Toady flipping the fuck out, considering the popularity of his trigger word for describing various "artists" there. :f

I feel like I shouldn't ask, but how exactly did the image of a frog used to symbolize bad feels become a racist/hate symbol? What, if anything, was the reason behind that?
Someone put a swastika on it. That's basically it.
Hilariously so, that means like all of the memes on internet are racist.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #109978 on: September 28, 2016, 05:19:00 pm »

Pleasing may be hard, but as it turns out, you can offend all of the people all of the time, you just have to figure out the right combination of images.

3. Run Resize Enable

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109979 on: September 28, 2016, 05:20:51 pm »

Seems to have been showing up a lot in connection with high-profile racist memes (and, if I recall correctly, one of Trump's kids, which doesn't help either), so people who haven't gotten themselves deeply familiarized with meme culture tend to associate it with those and lump it in with more specifically racist images.

In this instance, 4chan is Germany, and Pepe is a swastika, basically. In and of themselves, perfectly harmless and wholesome things with a rich history. But they've both been associated with some unsavory things in the past, so some people make assumptions without respect to the actual background of things sometimes (analogically to mistaking a Buddhist swastika for a Nazi swastika - both are from the same family of symbols, but with different and highly important - insofar as anyone should give a legitimate shit about what Pepe the Frog even is - contexts).
Pages: 1 ... 7330 7331 [7332] 7333 7334 ... 11037