Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7320 7321 [7322] 7323 7324 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14481045 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #109815 on: September 27, 2016, 03:17:46 am »

Mostly a rage, but hey, no thread. The design for my uni's class signups is, from an IT perspective, utterly fucking retarded. The way the system works is that it opens at a set hour, known beforehand to students. You get a pick of possible schedules for each class that has more than one defined and has free slots.

Now here's the thing. It's first-come-first-serve. When the slots are filled for the group you NEED to have to work it into your schedule, you're fucked and can only hope someone quits, so it's quite competitive. All the signups for all fifteen-ish majors open at the same time.

So the brilliant IT wizards who designed this system have crafted a perfect way of having to deal with a guaranteed yearly DDOS as every single student of the faculty, eyeball estimate 300-400 people, send multiple requests at the same time and frantically refresh.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109816 on: September 27, 2016, 04:29:36 am »

Why are the Keith Lamont Scott and Michael Brown shootings getting more press than the Rekia Boyd and Terence Crutcher shootings?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109817 on: September 27, 2016, 04:32:28 am »

Also, I should not have tried to play the entire episode. I got to bed late, and my eyes are sore and red, with blood vessels stretching almost to the iris.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109818 on: September 27, 2016, 04:37:41 am »

She might have forgotten what year she's in or her age (doubtful), since she's less than ten. :P
Or it was just a mistake on the devs' part.
Black lives matter.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109819 on: September 27, 2016, 04:42:11 am »

She also could've just been held back a year, which is not uncommon.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109820 on: September 27, 2016, 04:43:47 am »

dont insult Clem ;-;
Black lives matter.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #109821 on: September 27, 2016, 05:39:13 am »

Mostly a rage, but hey, no thread. The design for my uni's class signups is, from an IT perspective, utterly fucking retarded. The way the system works is that it opens at a set hour, known beforehand to students. You get a pick of possible schedules for each class that has more than one defined and has free slots.

Now here's the thing. It's first-come-first-serve. When the slots are filled for the group you NEED to have to work it into your schedule, you're fucked and can only hope someone quits, so it's quite competitive. All the signups for all fifteen-ish majors open at the same time.

So the brilliant IT wizards who designed this system have crafted a perfect way of having to deal with a guaranteed yearly DDOS as every single student of the faculty, eyeball estimate 300-400 people, send multiple requests at the same time and frantically refresh.
If you saw the IT system the local goverment uses for healthcare...

basically, someone decided to sell them a shitty program with a lot of adobe flash bling. And it worked. The sale that is. The program is horrid and crashes all the time.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #109822 on: September 27, 2016, 06:17:12 am »

That is almost entirely the truth, but the military is voluntary and temporary, you are paid for your time, provided free lodging, food, training, access to all kinds of resources for little or no cost, there are tremendous benefits for service, and even larger risks.  That is why the US military is all volunteer.
Also it's because conscripts are inferior to volunteers, especially when it comes to the level of money invested in each soldier
Volunteers want to be there, conscripts don't
Volunteers can be entrusted with a lot more responsibilities, autonomy and equipment, meaning they can respond faster, more intelligently and employ the best equipment and training - volunteer officers tend to act as a much higher rank than equivalent ranking officers in conscript armies, simply because conscripts cannot be trusted not to rebel

You are basically taught that if your target is holding up a pregnant woman as a shield... You should shoot through her to kill him.
If he is in a crowd of people... you need to go full auto! in fact bomb the place
And DANG IT I WISH I was joking -_-
There are also people, in the government, who want to shut down restitution officers (not their correct name): basically shut down the people whose job it is... to give someone money because the military killed their husband, wife, child or grievously injured them.
So yeah my opinion of the military is not extremely high. There is a serious double standard...
Lmao Neo someone's been pulling your leg :P
This is not like training at all, at least not for Western militaries, you do not earn the loyalty of volunteer soldiers by telling them to shoot everything that moves. Moreover, you do not earn the loyalty in peacekeeping operations of the people you're protecting if you regularly disregard their wellbeing by shooting everything that moves - so much care is made to avoid angering the locals that even respect for dead enemy bodies is considered. Can't imagine it would go down too well with the chaplaincy either if soldiers were complaining that their COs were telling them to kill everyone

Also related:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Closest thing I can think of that is taught about morals and signing off people to die, is in regards to your own people - do you risk endangering the rest of your men for the possibility of saving another one's life. Abstract stuff like you're caught in a storm and you lost track of one of your injured, do you backtrack to try and find them or do you get the rest of your men to safety - better to opt for the latter as your chances of finding the lost soldier are slim and you can risk losing more, to the more realistic examples like your ship having been struck with a missile - to ensure integrity of the ship and to guarantee the lives of everyone above, you may have to condemn the lives of those below.

Bombing crowds of people would pretty much guarantee a war crime investigation and risk terminating the whole campaign, since democracies must keep in account the public opinion of their constituents when committing to war efforts
Pretty simple on accounts of both morality and practicality, you don't want to stress out your soldiers too much to the point where they just get absolutely fatigued (see drone operators)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #109823 on: September 27, 2016, 06:33:24 am »

There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #109824 on: September 27, 2016, 06:42:44 am »

Moreover, you do not earn the loyalty in peacekeeping operations of the people you're protecting if you regularly disregard their wellbeing by shooting everything that moves - so much care is made to avoid angering the locals that even respect for dead enemy bodies is considered.

I know a guy who was sent to the Middle East (I forget which country) as a medic, but -thanks to a paperwork snafu- didn't get the proper cultural briefing. While there, he mistook the basin that they use for ritual cleaning as a urinal - and was shipped out by the end of the day, only avoiding a dishonorable discharge because they realized that he hadn't been briefed properly.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109825 on: September 27, 2016, 07:05:04 am »

Guess maybe you'll have to use Uber?
Eight hours later, but... I discovered that my phone is too old to actually download the Uber app...

Ended up getting a friend to give me a lift. Got there just before closing time only for them to tell me they messed up a paperwork thing and it won't be ready until tomorrow.
Thankfully they gave me a free hire car so I can still go to work tonight. Still though, I've had such a bad experience with these guys so far.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #109826 on: September 27, 2016, 07:13:55 am »

You maaay be badmintoning too hard.

Unless you tried to play squash with that, or something. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109827 on: September 27, 2016, 08:04:59 am »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109828 on: September 27, 2016, 08:35:07 am »

The VDV still has the coolest recruitment video.

Anyway, despite whatever insanity people talk about the military nowadays, if you can handle loud sounds, responsibilities and having to do more exercise than walking towards your fridge, military aint a terrible idea. Hell, I'm taking a test to go to the local military police officer school so I can become a liutenant in time because my father made a passing sugestion about it. Its not any sort of army, of course, but hey, it looks ok, and the pay isn't bad either, I might even join if they call me.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #109829 on: September 27, 2016, 10:15:28 am »

Why nobody say "you hit 'cocks too hard" or some such?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 7320 7321 [7322] 7323 7324 ... 11037