Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7311 7312 [7313] 7314 7315 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14476977 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #109680 on: September 23, 2016, 09:31:53 pm »

I don't understand people who are unreasonably nostalgic for a time they weren't even alive for. I have a friend from work who's always posting and talking about the 1920s as if they were actually there, and as if massive amounts of organized crime didn't arise from the prohibition of alcohol.

Reading the Great Gatsby is what shattered my illusion of the 20s. Maybe recommend the book to them?

To be fair, America was changed pretty inextricably when WW2 forced both widescale industrialization and an evolution of gender roles that people are still feeling today. Though I just picked that idea up out of a book called "No More Mr. Nice Guy" that explains that the prevalence of single mothers and fatherless sons that grow up to be effeminate and wimpy men is because of those changes I mentioned, so in other words the Strawberry Generation is literally Hitler's fault.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109681 on: September 23, 2016, 09:46:33 pm »

It's very safe to assume someone who longs for the good ol' days of intense violence, war, and general shittiness just likes the aesthetic of the period and not the intense violence, war, or general shittiness. :P
Black lives matter.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109682 on: September 23, 2016, 10:03:37 pm »

There's no harm in people longing for a simpler time when you never had to worry about all the pettiness inherent to social media, not having to worry about having your job being obsoleted by a robot (Well, unless you were a horse and buggy driver :P), not having to worry about the world going up in a cloud of nuclear flame. It was a simpler time, and we live in an era that is increasingly saturated with things that humans were simply never evolved to handle.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109683 on: September 23, 2016, 10:26:59 pm »

It's very safe to assume someone who longs for the good ol' days of intense violence, war, and general shittiness just likes the aesthetic of the period and not the intense violence, war, or general shittiness. :P
Not really- "intense violence, war, and general shittiness" is a hell of a lot more interesting than the dreary boredom of modern times.
Now one just waits around for death, whereas it used to be more likely to come to them in a variety of exciting circumstances.

As for everyone warning about various diseases you'd encounter back in the day: travel vaccinations.
I mean jeez, don't you get vaccinated before most trips to nasty, dirty foreign countries? I can't see why a trip through the fabric of time would be different.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:28:40 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #109684 on: September 23, 2016, 10:33:52 pm »

Not really- "intense violence, war, and general shittiness" is a hell of a lot more interesting than the dreary boredom of modern times.
Nah, modern times still has instances of intense violence, war, and general shittiness, it's just (probably) not as widespread.

Except for the shittiness. That's everywhere.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109685 on: September 24, 2016, 12:22:32 am »

Watching Freakazoid! for the first time after avoiding it as a child due to its nightmare fuel first episode (well to me... I mean come on! he had his body and mind nightmarishly taken over by a madman who cares not for him!)

And I really love both the very first jokes they tell in the episode.

Anything that references Batman is alright by me! I honestly knew they were going the Batman route, but the fact that they actually meant Batman made me smile (most shows hint at batman, but it is meant to be a bait and switch)

Dang it another amazing reference xD dang it show stop attacking my Nostalgia!

---

Huh the show is as anti-nerd as people said it was o-o

Which is odd because this show is so hopelessly geeky O_o

Edit: Ohh I thought the origin story was the first episode O_O ohh...

---

Ehh not sure if I like it.

Though astonishingly O_o, they kind of predicted their own downfall in the first episode.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 01:02:06 am by Neonivek »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109686 on: September 24, 2016, 05:47:07 am »

Once listened to my parents talk about me like I'm some kind of 5-year-old whose development continues to astonish and dismay them. Not sure if they're in severe and total denial or what, given how both of them and complete failures at being parents.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109687 on: September 24, 2016, 05:52:17 am »

Oh man I still remember the candlejack refere
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109688 on: September 24, 2016, 07:23:36 am »

>_>?

So... did... Americans actually think WW2 didn't start until Pearl Harbor until like the 2000s? Was this an actual thing that was taught?

Why the heck did I just watch anything where the plot is: "The hero must stop Pearl Harbor and thus the start of WW2"?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 07:30:10 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #109689 on: September 24, 2016, 07:59:36 am »

Eh, on one hand not really but on the other hand sorta'. It was definitely taught that american involvement of substantial note was hinged pretty strongly on the pearl harbor attack. Which, y'know. US being US might have well been teaching it didn't start until PH :V

There's no harm in people longing for a simpler time when you never had to worry about all the pettiness inherent to social media, not having to worry about having your job being obsoleted by a robot (Well, unless you were a horse and buggy driver :P), not having to worry about the world going up in a cloud of nuclear flame. It was a simpler time, and we live in an era that is increasingly saturated with things that humans were simply never evolved to handle.
It kinda' wasn't a simpler time, though. Just different kinds of complicated. There may not be much harm in wanting things to be simpler (though only may, because as they say, for every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.), but there is in fooling yourself and trying to fool others into thinking something that wasn't simple, was. Or that the simple thing was better in... just about any way.

And really, we aren't getting terribly much more saturated, it's just that we've currently got a few generations that still remember (and more importantly, grew up) when our current stuff wasn't around. Let that lot die off and then another generation or two later the current lot will be the ones complaining about simpler times, except they'll be talking about the late 90s/early aughts and whatnot. People tend to remember their younger years as much better than they were, ha. And by extension remember growing up around people that were the same way, leading to pretty romanticized views of ye' olden times.

Though @ Yoink... man, that's so untrue it's almost painful. A lot more of yesteryear was spent sitting on your arse waiting to die or plodding away at the exact same damn thing every day for your whole bloody life than it is now. You had more wars and violence and whatnot, but you also had a hell of a lot less to do, and a hell of a lot less options to choose from so far as what you did goes. Even war is something like 90% waiting and 10% existential panic and dying/being maimed.

One of the biggest reasons I'd hate to see a regression to pre-internet et al days is because they were goddamn boring, particularly on a personal level. People found ways to entertain themselves, but I'd rather not be stuck with moonshine and town drama m'self, tyvm. Social media may be petty but there is bloody nothing more petty than someone that doesn't like you and knew yer momma.

If you really want to go experience the "excitement" of war, though, nowadays they're just a plane trip and a meeting with some shady fanatics that will probably kill you away. Couple hundred/few dozen years ago you largely had to wait for it to come to you. Now you actually get to choose! If you're bugnuts enough to actually want to live that sort of thing, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109690 on: September 24, 2016, 08:19:53 am »

One of the biggest reasons I'd hate to see a regression to pre-internet et al days is because they were goddamn boring

I'd hate it because it was a far far more judgmental time.

The fact that I don't currently have a girlfriend AND that I am eccentric would mean I am weird and deserving of scorn.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #109691 on: September 24, 2016, 10:03:47 am »

Conversely, pre internet people  were much more sociable.  Parties, gatherings, Dutch Rubbings, and people just as lonely as you are everywhere, and a magic box full of every string of datum available to mankind isnt keeping you inside.

... unless you count a boob toob,  I go weeks without watching more than 30 minutes tv these days, but I do a lot of audio listening and gaming and whathow.

plus, there was more merit and reason to do a hobby.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 10:05:24 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #109692 on: September 24, 2016, 10:06:24 am »

I don't think now is any less judgmental than then, you're just less likely to encounter someone who has indulged in gossiping about you in meatspace because the world is so much "bigger" now.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109693 on: September 24, 2016, 10:11:19 am »

So, in actual WTF news, my computer will play Crusader Kings 2 and Overwatch, but Starbound will not run. Just causes a complete lockup until I hard reset.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #109694 on: September 24, 2016, 10:13:25 am »

I don't think now is any less judgmental than then, you're just less likely to encounter someone who has indulged in gossiping about you in meatspace because the world is so much "bigger" now.
Nah, it's definitely less judgmental. The dilution is a thing but overall most places internet (or even just notably travel) enabled really are less judgmental, or at the very least less likely to translate it to real-world consequences (losing job, being beaten, lynched, etc.). Exposure does a lot on that front, and exposure has increased a... lot. A lot a lot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 7311 7312 [7313] 7314 7315 ... 11037