Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7264 7265 [7266] 7267 7268 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14472829 times)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #108975 on: September 07, 2016, 10:15:58 am »

Tried calling a job place. After ringing once I'm told that the wireless bill needs to be paid. Texts are also disabled. I'm currently using the wifi to post this. ???
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108976 on: September 07, 2016, 10:21:14 am »

Eh. Fanfiction...
I generally don't like reading personal headcanons, instead preferring the workings of a team who've scientifically nailed together a plot which would illicit maximum emoshuns.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #108977 on: September 07, 2016, 10:30:11 am »

I haven't read fanfiction in a long time. In general, I prefer fanfiction to be stories about other characters in the same universe, as opposed to writing all-new adventures for the main cast of whatever universe it's set in.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108978 on: September 07, 2016, 12:34:16 pm »

I am actually really depressed that I finished the Mass Effect trilogy. Maybe it's just because it's fresh, but 24 hours later I still think of the first few notes of the ending theme and start tearing up. I have not been this upset over any piece of fiction since Toy Story 3.

inb4 etc., I did mean to post this in the WTF thread. It's strange to me that I'm this deeply moved.

I remember the first time that happened to me - it blew my mind.  Great pieces of art do that.   We invest pieces of ourselves into these experiences, and when they end we mourn.  It's natural if kind of surprising.  For me, Elizabeth Moon's Deed of Paksenarrion (book), Avatar the Last Airbender (TV), Morrowind and Dragon Age (games) all do it.

That said, fanfiction is awesome, and there's some good stuff for Mass Effect out there. On Grief, When Made of Fire and A Brief Guide to Galactic Poetry are some good ones from different perspectives than the main heroes.  I find that different fandoms vary in how much of that they do, but Mass Effect fandom looks like it has a good mix, unlike ex Marvel or DC comics. 

Tried calling a job place. After ringing once I'm told that the wireless bill needs to be paid. Texts are also disabled. I'm currently using the wifi to post this. ???

Sounds like a job for a VOIP app.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 12:40:57 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #108979 on: September 07, 2016, 01:54:01 pm »

I haven't read fanfiction in a long time. In general, I prefer fanfiction to be stories about other characters in the same universe, as opposed to writing all-new adventures for the main cast of whatever universe it's set in.
I don't read fanfiction at all, so I'm maybe not the best suited to speak, but I think I might like a fan-fic with the same characters. However, it would have to be less focused on adventure (if you want that, read the original) and focus instead on building character, and the implications on relations and personality either before or after the original story ends.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #108980 on: September 07, 2016, 02:14:14 pm »

... well, good for you. That sort of writing style is what... well. A lot. Of fanfiction is about. If it's not the most represented direction to take it's easily the second or third, from what I've experienced.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #108981 on: September 07, 2016, 02:16:00 pm »

I don't read a lot of fanfiction partially because I don't really like reading stories on a computer screen (other things are fine, just not stories). I don't have anything against it, I just feel completely disinterested in it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #108982 on: September 07, 2016, 02:24:22 pm »

F.lux helps a lot with the reading, heh. Or an equivalent if you've got a tablet... I've actually been doing most of my reading these days on kindle (browser or otherwise net obtained, of course, cause I ain't payin' for books when I've several lifetimes and growing worth of stuff that's free). Decent contrast on the text also helps rather substantially (darkling's a decent example, save the actual typing box). The generally default black on white is complete and utter shit for prolonged reading, tbh.

Though a lot of things try to fix it by just inverting... it's better (significantly so), but ideally there's basically no white on your screen, and few bright colors in general. You want contrast, but not glare. I like a light-ish grey on a dark background myself. Usually something like a dark blue rather than a straight black. Much easier to read, heh.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 02:28:40 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108983 on: September 07, 2016, 02:45:18 pm »

Two of the only things ff.net did right are having the dark-grey background/white text setup and the half-page (i.e. ~paperback page width) centered text setting. Both SB and SV use the former, too, and the forum format means that you effectively have some margins. It's not a coincidence that I tend to avoid most other FF sites.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108984 on: September 07, 2016, 02:59:13 pm »

F.lux helps a lot with the reading, heh. Or an equivalent if you've got a tablet... I've actually been doing most of my reading these days on kindle (browser or otherwise net obtained, of course, cause I ain't payin' for books when I've several lifetimes and growing worth of stuff that's free). Decent contrast on the text also helps rather substantially (darkling's a decent example, save the actual typing box). The generally default black on white is complete and utter shit for prolonged reading, tbh.

Though a lot of things try to fix it by just inverting... it's better (significantly so), but ideally there's basically no white on your screen, and few bright colors in general. You want contrast, but not glare. I like a light-ish grey on a dark background myself. Usually something like a dark blue rather than a straight black. Much easier to read, heh.
Eh, I use f.lux. My issues aren't with any of that, really, although I don't think using a computer screen right before bed will ever be good for me. It's also the distractions, and something I can't really put my finger on. I really like reading paper books, web pages just don't do it for me.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #108985 on: September 07, 2016, 03:06:21 pm »

Eh, some folks are like that, I guess. You poor bastards. Like paper well enough, too, but the ease and body of access of digital outstrips anything print so much not being able to take advantage of it is definitely a loss. Used to be I carried a book around with me. Now I carry a small library :D

Tablet actually helps on the distraction front, though, or at least it feels like it to me. Can't do much worth a damn besides read on these things :P
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 03:09:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108986 on: September 07, 2016, 03:08:49 pm »

You can on mine :P (sadly?)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108987 on: September 07, 2016, 05:45:52 pm »

I honestly wish I could get Darkling as a format, like, everywhere.  :v
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108988 on: September 07, 2016, 06:55:07 pm »

I wish I could become the darkling
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108989 on: September 07, 2016, 06:57:03 pm »

You can only become the Darkling when you've been stuck in last place for a while, so you can use dark power to catch up. Obscure gaming reference of the day: check
Pages: 1 ... 7264 7265 [7266] 7267 7268 ... 11037