Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7242 7243 [7244] 7245 7246 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14459645 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #108645 on: August 31, 2016, 02:00:31 pm »

This is far more interesting than I feel it should be.
And we didn't even get into the real fun stuff like new biologicals, immunotherapy, stem cell transplantation, et al. Heck, we didn't even go into old school cytostatics.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 02:02:38 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #108646 on: August 31, 2016, 04:07:05 pm »

I recently began researching my theory that you can make humans survive cryostasis by replacing each and every one of their cells with tiny bears.

I ran into difficulties getting human test objects permission for my project by the shortsighted medical authorities, but let's just say that I found a way around this through my temp work at the vaccination clinic.
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108647 on: August 31, 2016, 04:14:10 pm »

This is far more interesting than I feel it should be.
And we didn't even get into the real fun stuff like new biologicals, immunotherapy, stem cell transplantation, et al. Heck, we didn't even go into old school cytostatics.  ;)
Please, stop! All knowledge given to a civilian is just another weapon to be used against your fellow doctors!
Wasn't google enough?!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108648 on: August 31, 2016, 04:21:50 pm »

New YT ToS is pushing even farther for authoritarianism and censorship. Videos and channels can now be forcibly demonetized for, among other things, sexual humor, swearing, and discussing "controversial or sensitive subjects" (yes, that is the actual vague-as-shit wording).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108649 on: August 31, 2016, 04:26:27 pm »

I had to install Games for Windows Live in 2016.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108650 on: August 31, 2016, 04:35:46 pm »

Pretty sure this belongs in the "Things that made you sad" thread.   :P 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108651 on: August 31, 2016, 04:36:15 pm »

That reminds me of that time I picked up a shitty game called Evil Days of Luckless John in a bargain bin some years back, and the damn thing wouldn't work because it had TAGES as DRM, and since that was completely nonfunctional the game wouldn't run either. Wonder if that's what'll happen with GfWL.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108652 on: August 31, 2016, 04:44:51 pm »

My WTF today was: Cream.

I just needed cream for cooking, nothing special right? Wrong! The store had 5 different kinds of sour cream, 3 kinds of whipped cream, and 4 kinds of Cream for coffee but no (not even Soy!) cream that is used for cooking.

Probably light or heavy cream. Heavy cream is also called whipping cream. Not whipped cream. That's what you can make from whipping cream, though.

Man, I really hope I get the opportunity to be a biomedical engineer. Cyborgs, anyone?
Cyborgs!

There once was a cyborg named Ace. He wooed women at every base. But when they caught sight of his "special attachment" they vanished with nary a trace.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108653 on: August 31, 2016, 04:58:41 pm »

I recently began researching my theory that you can make humans survive cryostasis by replacing each and every one of their cells with tiny bears.

I ran into difficulties getting human test objects permission for my project by the shortsighted medical authorities, but let's just say that I found a way around this through my temp work at the vaccination clinic.

I disagree

Cryostasis is unbearable
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108654 on: August 31, 2016, 05:18:50 pm »

I disagree

Cryostasis is unbearable

I remember a video a few weeks back the tried to explain the science behind Overwatch's Mei's ice weapons. It boiled(*cough*) down to her basically having an invisible(or quantum-tunneled) firetruck connected to her gun firing gallons of liquid hydrogen(liquid nitrogen isn't cold enough) to freeze people that quickly. The guy doing the video mused on the idea that liquid-H is what you need for cryostasis(as opposed to L-N), but it still wouldn't work because your organs would freeze at different rates, meaning you might have organ failure if one organ depends on another organ that's already frozen to inertness. Another major problem with cryostasis is that water expands as it freezes, and our bodies are 80-85% water, so we'd have major rupturing going on.

Basically, you'd need to dehydrate someone, then try to instant-freeze them, then somehow reverse the process. I don't think frozen jerky is really going to be walking after that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #108655 on: August 31, 2016, 05:24:27 pm »

A while back, I dropped a weight on one of my toes, and the nail bruised pretty badly. Fairly standard, and it's been healing quite well.

Only, today, I bumped it into a post(tripped over cat) and the part of the nail that hasn't healed just had the nail stick straight up, perpendicular to my actual toe. The healed part is fine, but seriously, what the fuck still-damaged part? And underneath it looks like smushed salmonberry.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108656 on: August 31, 2016, 05:45:38 pm »

Oh, it did. Sadness and rage, because gfwl was a cancer from the day it was born.
The true WTF is why the person who came up with the idea hasn't been flogged with snakes.

That reminds me of that time I picked up a shitty game called Evil Days of Luckless John in a bargain bin some years back, and the damn thing wouldn't work because it had TAGES as DRM, and since that was completely nonfunctional the game wouldn't run either. Wonder if that's what'll happen with GfWL.
Most games have been adapted to no longer need gfwl, such as dark souls (and thank god for that).
Lost Planet 2 is not one of those games.
I had to download gfwl and make a whole new damn account before the bastard would function.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108657 on: August 31, 2016, 07:07:40 pm »

I disagree

Cryostasis is unbearable

I remember a video a few weeks back the tried to explain the science behind Overwatch's Mei's ice weapons. It boiled(*cough*) down to her basically having an invisible(or quantum-tunneled) firetruck connected to her gun firing gallons of liquid hydrogen(liquid nitrogen isn't cold enough) to freeze people that quickly. The guy doing the video mused on the idea that liquid-H is what you need for cryostasis(as opposed to L-N), but it still wouldn't work because your organs would freeze at different rates, meaning you might have organ failure if one organ depends on another organ that's already frozen to inertness. Another major problem with cryostasis is that water expands as it freezes, and our bodies are 80-85% water, so we'd have major rupturing going on.

Basically, you'd need to dehydrate someone, then try to instant-freeze them, then somehow reverse the process. I don't think frozen jerky is really going to be walking after that.

Its possible to freeze people without having to worry about ice crystals forming. Thats how they're currently freezing heads and people who actualy pay for the service nowadays, its just kinda expensive since all of your blood needs to be changed with an antifreeze compound thing, but once its actualy done storage is relatively simple. The problem with cryostasis isn't the freezing itself, but waking people after :U
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108658 on: August 31, 2016, 07:08:56 pm »

bike lock seized up. had to get it cut. made me late for half my classes.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #108659 on: August 31, 2016, 07:25:54 pm »

Also, cold doesn't kill you on it'a own, it just slow a differrnt parts of your metabolism to different rates that depend on each other, in addition to sapping all your energy trying to warm up. If you can freeze someone the whole way through (and you don't need all that much dehydration, if any, with the way the body regulates water, if you can do it nice and evenly), and warm then up the same way, there ain't a huge issue. People come back from a surprising number of things. The current antifreeze agents used, however, happen to be really toxic, and are the only reliable way of preventing those ice crystals with current methods afaik.

Oh, it did. Sadness and rage, because gfwl was a cancer from the day it was born.
The true WTF is why the person who came up with the idea hasn't been flogged with snakes.
Animal cruelty.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 7242 7243 [7244] 7245 7246 ... 11040