Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7235 7236 [7237] 7238 7239 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14454319 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #108540 on: August 28, 2016, 07:25:59 pm »

Heh, yes, I am excluding "extinction of all macroscopic life on earth", there. :P
But to me, that sounds like something that would be excessively difficult for a human to pull off.
I mean, the universe could collapse tomorrow, but that doesn't have much to do with us, does it?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108541 on: August 28, 2016, 08:02:11 pm »

I read an article a while ago about meat allergy. I think it was specifically to cowflesh, but I could be misremembering
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108542 on: August 28, 2016, 08:04:14 pm »

I read an article a while ago about meat allergy. I think it was specifically to cowflesh, but I could be misremembering

It may have been about the tick bites that cause a meat allergy:

https://blogs.biomedcentral.com/bugbitten/2014/04/28/mammalian-meat-allergy-caused-by-tick-bites/

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #108543 on: August 28, 2016, 08:09:18 pm »

Heh, yes, I am excluding "extinction of all macroscopic life on earth", there. :P
But to me, that sounds like something that would be excessively difficult for a human to pull off.
I mean, the universe could collapse tomorrow, but that doesn't have much to do with us, does it?
A human, sure, but in general we're already courting stuff like atmospheric methane poisoning and acidified oceans deep sixing the biosphere, among who knows what else. It's not easy to wreck our capability as a species to progress and/or rebuild vis a vis our technological base, but it's easier than anyone would like. The march of technology is far from inevitable, unfortunately. There's plenty of Bad Ends littering the path :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108544 on: August 28, 2016, 08:16:13 pm »

It may have been about the tick bites that cause a meat allergy:

https://blogs.biomedcentral.com/bugbitten/2014/04/28/mammalian-meat-allergy-caused-by-tick-bites/
Oh!  I actually know someone with that!  He can eat poultry just fine but no mammals, and it came from a deer tick.  Seemed so... odd (he's an old hippy-type), but thanks for the article confirming it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108545 on: August 28, 2016, 09:19:22 pm »

A human, sure, but in general we're already courting stuff like atmospheric methane poisoning and acidified oceans deep sixing the biosphere, among who knows what else. It's not easy to wreck our capability as a species to progress and/or rebuild vis a vis our technological base, but it's easier than anyone would like. The march of technology is far from inevitable, unfortunately. There's plenty of Bad Ends littering the path :-\
Life might just be a bit hardier than you think. It might not be fun, but we could probably survive whatever acid apocalipse we care to put ourselves though. We iz tha biggust an' tha strongest!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108546 on: August 28, 2016, 10:13:56 pm »

This isn't a WTF as much as a followup to earlier, but there's someone who prepares food from liposuction'd fat.

What is actually WTFing me is WTF IS THIS DORM SWELTERINGLY HOT.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #108547 on: August 28, 2016, 10:16:29 pm »

Life might just be a bit hardier than you think. It might not be fun, but we could probably survive whatever acid apocalipse we care to put ourselves though. We iz tha biggust an' tha strongest!
... no, no, those are things with a pretty good chance of wiping us and most other macroorganisms out. Like, we're talking stuff that was actually more or less what caused one of the previous mass extinctions -- the worst one, t'boot, that did kill off a majority of complex animal life on earth... and the bigger stuff tended to have worst luck than the rest of it. Took longer to recover from that mess than we've been able to date hominids back to, never mind anything particularly human. And we've got signs we're helping along another round of it. And that's ignoring the other stuff, ahaha.

Bacteria are hardy. Plants lean toward pretty hard to wreck on the net, too. Humans (and most things large enough to see, really) have a fairly small range of environments that won't kill them. We're pretty damn good but our situation is legitimately still bloody precarious, at the moment. We still have a ways to go before something less than some sort of galaxy-scale supernova won't kill us.

Don't really have to kill us entirely, though. Just do enough to erode the tech base to the point there's no recovering. Iirc there's good odds if we don't make it this time, we've already exploited the world hard enough redeveloping from the start may not even be possible, at the least not fast enough we'd survive another big hit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108548 on: August 28, 2016, 10:29:28 pm »

A few days ago, I saw a blog post with a very reasonable blog topic ("case studies"), along with a very reasonable comment thread. Very pleasant thread, much more enjoyable than most comment threads. However, the comments all were odd. They were appearing to be like high-school essays about a topic, and never really interacted with each other, only just lecturing and meandering on the topic. I quickly concluded that the blogger and the commenters were all robots (or human spammers...hard to tell really) that were only generating spam content to make the blog seem more active.

Today, I saw this type of blog post again...reasonable topic, reasonable commenters, but only token interaction between the commenters. Further research shows that the blogger/commenters are actually human and commenting on the blog was actually part of a a school assignment. So I was fairly relived by that. But...you never know what may happen next...

EDIT: I'm not angry by the robo-blog because it produced content that was enjoyable to read and better than most human-generated content. On the other hand, I'm not happy that the robot-blog exist, because if one of these blogs exists...more can come. The blog comments were from ~2012, so it's possible that spammers have long since abandoned the practice.

EDIT2: And just to be clear, I think the robo-blog's comments have been plagiarized from real high school papers. And since I hate plagiarism, that's another reason not to be happy by this blog.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 10:37:52 pm by Skynet »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108549 on: August 28, 2016, 10:46:00 pm »

Your username is quite apt.
Interesting story!  I hope you share a link maybe?

Also:
Sometimes my friends and I check out the state flags of these great United States of America.
They're so bad

Even Best Carolina is... alright.  Arguably this is the one thing which South Carolina bests us at.

But... just... almost all the flags are just so terrible.
Alabama is the Scotland of the US.  WHY

Also, New Mexico used this beautiful peace of art for over a decade: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_New_Mexico_(1912-1925).svg
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 10:53:30 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108550 on: August 28, 2016, 11:01:04 pm »

Interesting story!  I hope you share a link maybe?
Knew I forgot something.

First Suspicious Blog Post (topic was "Case Studies")

Second Suspicious Blog Post (topic was "Pierre Menard, Author of Don Quixote" and "Funes, the Memorious")

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108551 on: August 28, 2016, 11:03:05 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Alabama#Current_flag The article says its a St. Andrew cross.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108552 on: August 28, 2016, 11:05:15 pm »

And so is Scotland's.
And in both cases it's literally just an X-cross.

But why did Alabama use an X-cross as a flag?  And why did they officially dedicate it to a Catholic saint??
She/they

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108553 on: August 28, 2016, 11:07:11 pm »

I am surprised that after the Civil war they didn't try to force all the southern states to change their flags :P

Ok I shouldn't actually bring up this here...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #108554 on: August 28, 2016, 11:30:59 pm »

What's wrong with the Scottish flag?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 7235 7236 [7237] 7238 7239 ... 11040