Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7232 7233 [7234] 7235 7236 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14449540 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #108495 on: August 28, 2016, 06:35:29 am »

I actually agree that animals should generally not be held in captivity. However, a private company is under no obligation to inform the public of its every operation, and shouldn't be considered scummy for avoiding a protest that would serve no purpose and would endanger the operation and animals involved if it got violent.

Furthermore, the dolphins are arguably better off in a larger dolphinarium than in the wild, as they have lived their whole lives in captivity (Särkänniemi had bred them for a couple generations). Releasing them might not end well for them.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108496 on: August 28, 2016, 06:36:31 am »

Aren't those dolphins used to captivity and unlikely to survive if released into the wild? It might be crueler to free them then.

PRE-EDIT:Ninja'd by cold leaf juice.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #108497 on: August 28, 2016, 06:46:15 am »

I actually agree that animals should generally not be held in captivity. However, a private company is under no obligation to inform the public of its every operation, and shouldn't be considered scummy for avoiding a protest that would serve no purpose and would endanger the operation and animals involved if it got violent.

Furthermore, the dolphins are arguably better off in a larger dolphinarium than in the wild, as they have lived their whole lives in captivity (Särkänniemi had bred them for a couple generations). Releasing them might not end well for them.

I don't see how the companies legal obligations would effect the animal rights groups response. Why do you think its relevant? They are concerned for the animals, not legal responsibility of the company.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108498 on: August 28, 2016, 06:50:13 am »

Alright, well. I don't think the dolphins should go free, but you're still not looking at it from the perspective that they should (even if you think that's a stupid perspective to have.). I'm just saying that you said you don't understand what the big deal is, but if you just shift your perspective and temporarily accept something you think is untrue as the truth for a moment, it's quite easy to see. You don't have to agree with it, but that's how one would come to understand it.

As an aside, we clearly don't have the full story here on their in the wilds viability, but if you say the company was considering releasing them, then they'd ether have to be pretty fucking heartless (which would bring the rest of their decisions into question to be honest) or they'd be viable as a wild population. Er... Edit here real quick, or perhaps "considering" means "researching" and they decided the answer was no. Which from my perspective, would make what they did a perfectly reasonable and even morally correct choice to make.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 06:51:58 am by Criptfeind »

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108499 on: August 28, 2016, 06:52:27 am »

Well, I suppose ultimately it depends on your perspective if you agree with the animal rights protests. I think, given your response, you don't agree with them (and to be honest I don't ether although it's a complicated issue that I don't think I really have the answer too). But seeing it from their angle: Keeping dolphins in captivity is wrong, they want to free the dolphins, this is a good chance to do so but they don't have a legal way of forcing the park to do so, however, if they can get a good protest going and turn public opinion against keeping them in captivity, maybe they can free them, which, remember, from their point of view is a very very very good thing. However, from their perspective the zoo duplicitous snuck out the dolphins under cover of night in an attempt to avoid any chance of backlash or public opinion. I think, idk. It makes sense to be angry if you ultimately agree with the animal rights activists. "Private corporation being private" Is not an excuse really when you think they are still ultimately being evil.

Seen from the other angle, that keeping the dolphins in captivity is right, they cleverly managed to avoid meaningless harassment. Ultimately... Well, I can see the argument both ways here.

Edit: Obviously that's a generous assessment for the animal rights activists mindset, that they've actively decided that this is a case of the dolphins not belonging in captivity and needs to be specifically stopped, and not just "We do protests. Damn we missed a chance to protest." And also a generous assessment of the parks mindset, that they've actively decided that this is a case of the dolphins belonging in captivity and needing to stay in it, and not just "Lol, of course we're gunna sell these blowhole motherfuckers off, now how can we do it with as little attention as possible?" But I guess without further information I'm fine being that generous.
I miscommunicated my thoughts. I lack the vocabulary to express my thoughts and opinions at the moment, although I was not supporting or opposing the parties. I am interested in the wording of the post. (The small number of emojis on this board makes me want to revisit the idea of narrating my thoughts when I post.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108500 on: August 28, 2016, 06:55:25 am »

I don't understand what you now mean, but luckily that's academic since my post wasn't for you specifically, but rather for anyone who was confused as to why the protesters were angry. I had thought that included you under it's umbrella but it really doesn't matter to me that it doesn't, because I would have made the same post for just a single IcyTea31.

As for the wording, I have no idea what you're talking about, as I can't see anything particularly strange about it.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108501 on: August 28, 2016, 06:57:06 am »

I don't see how the companies legal obligations would effect the animal rights groups response. Why do you think its relevant? They are concerned for the animals, not legal responsibility of the company.
It's relevant because this is a case of a company doing everything legally and (arguably) ethically and still falling under fire. There are better targets for such protests in this country.

but rather for anyone who was confused as to why the protesters were angry.
I do understand why they would be angry, but not why they make a huge media circus about it.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108502 on: August 28, 2016, 07:02:13 am »

I do understand why they would be angry, but not why they make a huge media circus about it.

For the same reason that they are angry? I'm not sure I understand what you mean now. Like hell, you don't even have to understand their perspective at all to understand why they are making a media circus. They are doing so to get attention to the issue the best way they can to achieve their goals. You don't have to care about or understand their goals at all to understand that.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 07:04:11 am by Criptfeind »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108503 on: August 28, 2016, 07:04:18 am »

I'm not sure I understand what you mean now.
I'm not so sure myself anymore.

Anyway, a big deal was made of something I don't see as a big deal today. That is my WTF.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #108504 on: August 28, 2016, 07:07:20 am »

There are better targets for such protests in this country.

There are always better targets for any protest, or any movement really. They are just picking something that is relevant to them. Seems fair enough to me.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108505 on: August 28, 2016, 07:15:13 am »

I really need to sleep.

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108506 on: August 28, 2016, 07:18:34 am »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #108507 on: August 28, 2016, 07:22:41 am »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108508 on: August 28, 2016, 07:25:47 am »

You fill me with sadness.
...like a pillow filled with depressed penguin down. 

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108509 on: August 28, 2016, 07:28:11 am »

Meh. That isn't nearly as scary as rapacious, raping burglars. Goodnight.

Pages: 1 ... 7232 7233 [7234] 7235 7236 ... 11040