Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7200 7201 [7202] 7203 7204 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14462665 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #108015 on: August 19, 2016, 10:05:19 pm »

Been playing DF vanilla version, recently moved from adventure to fortress mode but with each successive play through I noticed that several items you can buy with points when you start up the game disappear while other times they're there, what I mean by this is not that they vanish after purchase but sometimes you cant even purchase them since they're not their!
That's probably because your starting civ doesn't have access to them.

Yup, starting things are dependent on natural resources at the Mountainhome's location. Later, Toady plans to augment that via trade / resource tracking but right now it's hard-coded. One (current) loophole / exploit is that anything that's a reaction product is automatically available even if your civilization lacks the raw resources to even make it. You can throw in dummy reactions to always get particular stuff on embark. I'm guessing Toady will remove that exploit once he overhauls the trading / embark resources system.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #108016 on: August 19, 2016, 10:17:08 pm »

Stepdad nearly burnt the house down. He put a piece of chicken in the oven, then went to sleep. He had a timer on it(that was going off when me and my mother walked in the door), but it wasn't the timer that shuts off the oven.

Oh man I've done that twice in my life. Once when I was living with my parents and once when I was living on my own. When I was living on my own I didn't wake up at all and the fire just burnt itself out eventually, I was really lucky that it didn't catch anything in my kitchen on fire.
... won't lie, the concept of going to sleep when cooking is incredibly foreign to me. It's like intentionally getting on the highway, getting up to sixty or seventy, and then taking a nap. On purpose, still behind the wheel. Or waving a loaded gun in someone's face or somethin'.

S'like. Who exactly are you trying to kill, here? How has the concept of "fire hot" managed to leave your mind to the extent this seemed like a good idea?

General you, mind, not anyone specific. It's just a mindset that's incredibly boggling to me. Basic kitchen safety was drilled in too hard, I guess, to the point people ignoring it (for whatever reason) approaches an outside context problem. Which is kinda' weird considering I'm more self-taught than not.

... somewhat unfortunate being that I currently live with someone that does that sort of thing semi-often. I think I've been stopping the kitchen from catching fire every other month or so for the last year :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108017 on: August 19, 2016, 11:18:06 pm »

i also set my kitchen on fire

kitchen pyro brofist
Black lives matter.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108018 on: August 20, 2016, 12:01:03 am »

Sentient Bowtie: Have you buried your dog?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #108019 on: August 20, 2016, 12:06:27 am »

... won't lie, the concept of going to sleep when cooking is incredibly foreign to me. It's like intentionally getting on the highway, getting up to sixty or seventy, and then taking a nap. On purpose, still behind the wheel. Or waving a loaded gun in someone's face or somethin'.

S'like. Who exactly are you trying to kill, here? How has the concept of "fire hot" managed to leave your mind to the extent this seemed like a good idea?
Much like with both of your examples, through the magic of alcohol consumption.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108020 on: August 20, 2016, 12:42:39 am »

I can send a PM to myself by clicking my online status button.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #108021 on: August 20, 2016, 01:39:09 am »

Just finished INSIDE.  I... I need an adult.

Spoiler: Actual spoilers (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108022 on: August 20, 2016, 03:14:29 am »

So, I was just looking at the website for a mental health organization, and apparently ketamine is being trialled as a treatment for depression. :o
Where do I sign up?!

Edit: I think I might be bipolar.
Kind of suspected this for a while, but I've just been researching it a bit more for the first time. A lot of the symptoms I can very much relate to, although a lot of them involve social situations which I don't encounter very much, especially not when I'm feeling particularly weird. My family also seems to have quite a history of such things, as far as I'm aware. Weird.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 03:22:40 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #108023 on: August 20, 2016, 06:35:53 am »

I can send a PM to myself by clicking my online status button.
Oh shit, this is brilliant.
I finally have someone to talk to. :]
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #108024 on: August 20, 2016, 07:05:56 am »

:|

I do that to send links to myself across browsers.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #108025 on: August 20, 2016, 07:54:46 am »

I just discovered I can also send E-mails to myself.
Holy shit this opens a new world of social interactions to me.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #108026 on: August 20, 2016, 08:05:47 am »

That's nothing! Do you know what else you can do to yourself?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's right you can rave-dance all by yourself!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 08:10:39 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #108027 on: August 20, 2016, 09:15:45 am »

Watch in 720p for better Audio!

...wat?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #108028 on: August 20, 2016, 09:20:43 am »

Watch in 720p for better Audio!

...wat?

https://www.quora.com/Does-changing-the-video-quality-on-YouTube-also-affect-the-sound-quality-in-any-way

Pixel count isn't related to audio quality, but youtube does compress audio at different levels for different resolutions. This would make more sense if Youtube listed videos as "low", "medium" and "high" instead. Here's the breakdown:

Lower "resolution" videos use the MPEG audio layer in mono at 22050hz, 8kb/s

Higher quality videos are in stereo using AAC audio (mp4a) at 44100hz and a variable bitrate.

You're welcome citizen! Stay safe and respect traffic signals!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108029 on: August 20, 2016, 10:23:04 am »

Funny that you should mention that, I have also taken a nap while going 100kph on the highway. It was a very short nap, I woke up when the car went off the shoulder of the road. It wasn't intentional though.

It hasn't happened in a long time but I used to have issues with falling asleep when I didn't mean to. Mostly it was pretty benign, like falling asleep at the theatre or on the bus. People on the bus were generally pretty nice and would wake me up but occasionally I'd fall asleep for a while and only wake up when the driver would come back to get me because it was his last stop. Sometimes it was kind of absurd, like something you'd see in a movie. One moment I'd be eating, then the next I would wake up with my face in a bowl of spaghetti. I didn't even have to be comfortable to fall asleep, once I fell asleep while it was around -30c outside. The person that woke me up had thought I wad dead. :P

Sometimes it wasn't just a problem of randomly falling asleep, sometimes I couldn't even be woken up by any amount of noise. Once I fell asleep getting ready for school while my bedroom door was locked. Apparently my father had been banging on my door and yelling at me for quite a while before he gave up and went to work. I woke up later in the day utterly confused as to why no one woke me up to go to school. My father came home absolutely seething and didn't believe me when I told him I was asleep. It wasn't so much of a problem living at home because you could wake me up by poking me. When I went to uni it really sucked though. I remember one day I had a doctor's appointment. I got ready to go, I had even put my shoes on, but I still had a some time to waste before I could catch the bus so I sat down for moment. I woke up and it was dark outside, I had missed my appointment. It wasn't until later that I realised that not only had I missed my appointment but I had actually slept through the night and most of the following day so I also missed a full day of classes. Oops.
Pages: 1 ... 7200 7201 [7202] 7203 7204 ... 11040