Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7183 7184 [7185] 7186 7187 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14468804 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #107760 on: August 15, 2016, 02:37:58 pm »

I wonder if it'd be in bad taste if I started a Banpool?
Only if it results in a costumed superhero/antihero
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107761 on: August 15, 2016, 02:38:40 pm »

Aw yiss
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #107762 on: August 15, 2016, 02:39:28 pm »

Some you can see coming, that's true enough.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #107763 on: August 15, 2016, 02:40:14 pm »

I can't really say I didn't expect OW to get banned. A lot of the little comments he'd make seemed to get under more than a few peoples skin.

Though I kinda wonder why it seems we jump immediately to bans now, I haven't been back that long but when I left it seemed to have changed to one strike and you're out.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107764 on: August 15, 2016, 02:42:35 pm »

I can't really say I didn't expect OW to get banned. A lot of the little comments he'd make seemed to get under more than a few peoples skin.

Though I kinda wonder why it seems we jump immediately to bans now, I haven't been back that long but when I left it seemed to have changed to one strike and you're out.

He's probably doing the warnings in private PM and not publicily, so, we're not seeing the warnings. Plus the behavior generally happens for a while before the ban goes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #107765 on: August 15, 2016, 02:44:38 pm »

Far as I've noticed most of the time we still don't. Usually if someone gets got it's for behavior they've been warned about, or at least been involved with discussions that got nixed for the reason they did. Most folks that seem to be acting in general good faith and whatnot still seem to get a pretty fair shake.

Does seem to be less mutes, but the number of times someone's stuff gets deleted before they do is still fairly steady, near as I can remember.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #107766 on: August 15, 2016, 02:47:12 pm »

Split-second decision and a lack of a need to give second chances, maybe?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #107767 on: August 15, 2016, 02:47:24 pm »

I doubt anyone needs to worry about political bans. Orange Wizard seemed to be generally in line with most of the views one would typically see at least in the Ameripol thread, and that wasn't what the ban was about -- I tend to disagree with a lot of the things in that thread, but I've never worried about being banned.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #107768 on: August 15, 2016, 02:51:22 pm »

Yeah, it seems like we long as you keep things civil, you're fine. It's really unfortunate that OW got banned, but slurs aren't really civil, regardless of context. :/ Oh well...
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107769 on: August 15, 2016, 02:54:34 pm »

I have responsibilities here so I can't up and leave, at least not until MSPAForum is restored, but I guess I'll limit my banter so that I don't get banned.
I don't want you to leave, though. It's stupid that all of this is happening, on the other hand...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107770 on: August 15, 2016, 03:01:40 pm »

I wonder if it'd be in bad taste if I started a Banpool?

What would that accomplish?
If one of us gets horribly disfigured on a medical experiment and seeks revenges against a men called Francis, we could make a Captain Banpool joke...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #107771 on: August 15, 2016, 03:04:56 pm »

I suppose I'm uncomfortable about the way it's handled more than anything. If you're warned and keep doing what you did, well, you don't really have a right to be surprised. But as far as everyone else sees, misjudge where the line is and you get dragged off in the middle of the night.

The alternative is putting someone in stocks and probably risking dogpiles to moderate, but at least then it's clear what's the problem and its clear the person gets a fair chance to not be an ass.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107772 on: August 15, 2016, 03:35:48 pm »

As smjjames put it, the times when TO hands out an instant no-warnings ban in in the case of accounts who were created in pure violation of the forums rules, such as spambots or shock-trolls. When you commit an infraction, you get many warnings and mutes of progressing severity. When I got my warnings, I complied with the rules and now I've been allowed to stay. Orange didn't.

To clarify, Orange Wizard did not get banned because of any political sentiments. He made a comment that was extremely and explicitly racist, and additionally, one that humored violent assassination. Now we all like to joke about dwarves and elves being mutilated by this was concerning a people that were killed in the tens, if not hundreds of thousands, over history.

You will receiving warnings if you make racist/sexist/homophobic/bigoted/etc. posts. So unless your political ideology is founded in bigotry, you will not get banned for your views. Like in Playergamer's case, if this is too much to handle, you can leave as Toady said. There are plenty of forums where bigotry is either not a moderator's issue or even encouraged, but Bay12 is not one of these places.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #107773 on: August 15, 2016, 03:53:54 pm »

Well that's sad, I rather liked OW. If he broke the rules though - particularly if there were warnings for it - Toady did right.

We only really see the end of the line when The Big T pulls the trigger, there's no telling how many times OW was told to tone it down or whatever. Speculating whether it was a quick ban or happened over a long period is a bit pointless.

He'll be missed anyway :'(
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #107774 on: August 15, 2016, 04:02:03 pm »

You guys better watch out, TCM's gonna beat up your dad.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 7183 7184 [7185] 7186 7187 ... 11037