Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7180 7181 [7182] 7183 7184 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471385 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #107715 on: August 15, 2016, 08:36:00 am »

I mean, if your losing weight then you should be feeling a little bit hungry throughout the day but not unhealthily so.
Beans would like to have a word with you.

That is, if beans could talk.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #107716 on: August 15, 2016, 08:50:00 am »

My Nexusmods account has over 2.5k views ._. It has only existed since 2014. I am uncomfortable(?) with this knowledge that it has been viewed a lot.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #107718 on: August 15, 2016, 10:29:16 am »

My Nexusmods account has over 2.5k views ._. It has only existed since 2014. I am uncomfortable(?) with this knowledge that it has been viewed a lot.

Its okay, you're just popular!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #107719 on: August 15, 2016, 11:43:24 am »

It seems kinda counterintuitive to eat more than you normally would while simultaneously trying to lose weight
Not really? It's fairly rare eating less actually does that much for weight loss, particularly with any degree of lasting effect or without pretty seriously unhealthy consequences. It's activity and whatnot that does it, not eating less, and that usually means eating more, or at least eating better. How you're eating can make a pretty substantial difference, too.

Personally, I'd almost certainly lose some weight if I started eating more, but in smaller amounts per meal and more often. Even if you're not eating much, only eating once or twice a day can make your body basically go into starvation mode and start going out of its way to store fat, et al. Easy way to gain weight, unfortunately.
Not to put too fine a point to it, this is bullshit. Eating once or twice a day will certifiably not trigger starvation mode, not unless you a) undereat severely and b) keep that up for months. How often you eat is the least important factor here, caloric intake being equal. And how that works is a whole different story too.

Activity? No. Activity is just a mean to increase the minus side of the equation on calories in/out. Regardless of whether you eat 2000 calories and spend 1600 on sitting on the couch all day, or eat 2400 calories a day and spend 2000, with the additional 400 going to exercise and muscle maintenance, you will gain fat. Approx. 1 kg per ten days, as a matter of fact. Don't get me wrong, physical activity is good for other reasons, from fitness to nudging you to eat better, but on its own, it can actively make things worse, because your body's response to needing more energy will be to eat even more.

If you feel hungry, your body is doing the opposite of doing everything it can to store fat. It actively sends signals to burn it, while also kicking your brain to eat something - that's why you feel hungry (why-ish; it's more complicated but I ELI5).

The 'starvation mode' thing is a different animal. It's an adaptation of the body, along the lines of 'well, you're gonna eat 1500 kcal a day? OK, I'm gonna switch to needing 1500, not 2000 by cutting the heating bill'. Effectively, that means diminishing returns. But where that kicks in is a very variable trait, and that point isn't 'I haven't eaten for a couple of hours'.

This is all equal parts scientific evidence and personal experience. I lost at least 10 kg of fat (eyeballing; I lost more but I leave some margin for the muscle) over the last year at a more or less steady rate with no physical activity worth mentioning in that period. If the starvation mode as people imagine it worked, I would be prime candidate for it to have kicked in.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #107720 on: August 15, 2016, 11:49:39 am »

Yeaaaah, it's the keep it up for months thing. If you don't see the effect you're a hell of a lot luckier biology wise than I am :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #107721 on: August 15, 2016, 12:13:34 pm »

What. The. Fuck. Did. I. Just. Watch.
Oh, I remember that.

Remember when the whole 'randomly generated stories' thing was a fad for a day or two? I do.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107722 on: August 15, 2016, 02:03:46 pm »

Theres a Kongregate shock image troll (kind of a mild shock image really) running around, I thought this was over with.....

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107723 on: August 15, 2016, 02:06:10 pm »

This idiot, didn't even link to a specific thread.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107724 on: August 15, 2016, 02:08:09 pm »

I saw Toady One as being online, so, we just need to wait this out.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107725 on: August 15, 2016, 02:09:18 pm »

Woah, Toady is fast.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107726 on: August 15, 2016, 02:09:46 pm »

I didn't even know Kongregate even existed anymore :U
Guy is prob squeamish, the images are just your rull of the mill gore, nothing quite pain series tier. More like rotten.com archive rejects.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107727 on: August 15, 2016, 02:11:26 pm »

I didn't know Kongregate had forums let alone shock image trolls. I hope that's as WTF as it gets today.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #107728 on: August 15, 2016, 02:13:05 pm »

Did Toady already drop the hammer?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107729 on: August 15, 2016, 02:14:05 pm »

Wait, WTF? Why did Orange Wizard get banned? I did see that he was being rather salty over in the ameripol thread, but didn't seem to rise to the level of ban....
Pages: 1 ... 7180 7181 [7182] 7183 7184 ... 11037