Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 712 713 [714] 715 716 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14473458 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #10695 on: June 10, 2012, 06:48:50 am »

Just quoting these for those who can't venture into the NSFW part:

Many have suggested that it searches through actual message boards and simply copies the conversations and posts them, making it seem legitimate. However, this raises several issues:

5) The grammar and courtesy on the board is impeccable, especially compared to modern forums.
6) If this comes from a forum, then surely it's would have trolls and flames just like any forum has, but this forum is devoid of any of that.
7) There are currently nearly 4 million posts on the forum. It would be impossible for even dozens of individuals to go through and only select "proper" forum posts. The domain has only been registered for about a year.
8) This one is the most telling. If you enter in any line of text from the conversations, you won't get a SINGLE other entry in google other than the gameskyrim one. I can find conversations I had years ago with a simple google search, so there should be some kind of remnant, but with all my searching I haven't come up with anything.

If these are merely bots searching the web and posting forum conversations elsewhere, how did they do it despite 5-8?

Other information that I've gathered:

9) Domain registered in 2011, but posts "go back" to 2008.
10) Date is pretty irrelevant on the site, they are discussing Skyrim features where the post date says 2008, but that's way before it was announced.
11) There are several other sites that are identical in style regarding a wide range of issues, examples:
http://www.topgamesforum.com/
http://www.designstudioschool.com/
http://www.vpshostingforum.com/
Potentially thousands of these sites exist.
12) What is the purpose of these sites? Email phishing? That would make sense if they allowed registration, but I know that gameskyrim at least does not.

I think the freakiest part of this is that a lot of the conversations are actually *interesting* to read.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 06:50:28 am by Lord Dullard »

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10696 on: June 10, 2012, 06:50:05 am »

I belched this morning and it tasted like pork chops and Jaeger. This is not necessarily a bad thing or a good thing.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10697 on: June 10, 2012, 06:55:08 am »

Seriously this is one of the weirdest things I've seen on the internet.

It's a forum board apparently run entirely by bots with 4 million unique posts about skyrim and fallout, with some posts made before the games were announced, and some made in the future. High tech wizardry is afoot. The posts seem to be copied from other forums.

Just.

Fwar

This has got to be one of the most peculiar things I've read this month. They're so... humanlike.

Digging through 4chan's paranormal thread concerning this (courtesy of Loud Whispers)...

Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10698 on: June 10, 2012, 06:58:03 am »

It's a forum board apparently run entirely by bots with 4 million unique posts about skyrim and fallout, with some posts made before the games were announced, and some made in the future. High tech wizardry is afoot. The posts seem to be copied from other forums.

Just.

Fwar

This has got to be one of the most peculiar things I've read this month. They're so... humanlike.

Digging through 4chan's paranormal thread concerning this (courtesy of Loud Whispers)...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10699 on: June 10, 2012, 07:09:08 am »

Just.

Fwar

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10700 on: June 10, 2012, 07:11:11 am »

Just.

Fwar

You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10701 on: June 10, 2012, 07:16:23 am »

Just.

Fwar

Now, to look for that Buffy (or at least I recall it was) forum where one guy posts and replies to his own posts, despite the forum having died a few months, maybe years earlier than that.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10702 on: June 10, 2012, 10:47:05 am »

It could just be that on a huge scale.  A guy decided he hated forums where people troll and flame and have mods he disagrees with, so he decided to create his own set of fantasy forums.  And pretend that he lives in a perfect world.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10703 on: June 10, 2012, 11:19:16 am »

Honestly, I don't think that is possible, given that (as of me checking) there are 3,767,038 posts there. The earliest posts are from August 9, 2009. Counting today, that's 1037 days. That's an average of 3,632.6 posts per day. Or roughly 2.52 posts per minute, every minute, for more than two years.

/takin'itsrsguy

Creepy, in a WTF sort of way.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10704 on: June 10, 2012, 11:23:56 am »

The post dates are fabricated. The site was made in november of '11.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10705 on: June 10, 2012, 11:42:49 am »

There's also the possibility that it's some kind of online numbers station.

I mean they have no ads, they're pulling threads from all over, they're pulling names of people that actually do exist but have no knowledge of the forum, you can't register, post dates are messed up (they go into the past and future), and all email and phone numbers lead to a dead phone line of a server host rather than a customer. If that doesn't scream odd I have no idea what does.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10706 on: June 10, 2012, 11:44:50 am »

Someone's tech demo, is my guess.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10707 on: June 10, 2012, 11:48:30 am »

Some sort of SpamBot proving ground or development station?
This is a blank sig.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10708 on: June 10, 2012, 11:48:40 am »

I mean they have no ads,
Protip, try disabling adblock before deciding if a site has no ads :P
*Hugs*

Putnam

• Bay Watcher