Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7049 7050 [7051] 7052 7053 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14448946 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #105750 on: July 10, 2016, 04:42:53 pm »

Today I learned about the weird shit Humans get up to when they get so cold that their Mammal Brains crap out, and their Lizard Brain / Brainstem start making the decisions:

ie. Get Naked and Dig

Getting naked though makes sense from their perspective. Once you sufficiently suffer from hyperthermia you will believe you aren't cold but extremely hot. Digging likewise could also be part of this reaction.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105751 on: July 10, 2016, 04:44:30 pm »

Yep. People feel like they're overheating after having hypothermia for a while, so they remove clothes to cool themselves down.

PPE: And Neonivek said it first.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105752 on: July 10, 2016, 05:02:46 pm »

That's part of the current explanation of Paradoxical Undressing, but it happens to more than 1/3 of hypothermia cases. It doesn't seem like something that a large percentage of even slightly-rational people would do.

Also, the linked article suggested that the burrowing behavior may be an autonomic "insulate yourself to survive the cold" response, similar to the stuff lots of animals exhibit when Overwintering, which takes over when the self-governing parts of our outer brain can't maintain their function anymore. It makes more sense than burrowing to cool off, especially considering how severely hypothermic people who are indoors still cram themselves up on shelves or under chairs and beds.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 05:04:33 pm by Solifuge »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #105753 on: July 10, 2016, 05:19:29 pm »

Note that the article also mentions that people with hypothermia tend to be very confused and disoriented. If you're freezing cold, generally hysterical, and suddenly feel burning hot, are you going to be thinking very rationally? I wouldn't.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105754 on: July 10, 2016, 06:43:58 pm »

Today I learned about the weird shit Humans get up to when they get so cold that their Mammal Brains crap out, and their Lizard Brain / Brainstem start making the decisions:

ie. Get Naked and Dig
...the brain has an underflow error when exposed to long term cold? Weird.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #105755 on: July 10, 2016, 09:36:31 pm »

No, like it explains in the article, when trying to conserve body heat muscles constrict to restrict bloodflow to the extremities, thus conserving heat. Our muscles can't keep this up indefinitely and eventually become exhausted, at which point blood flows freely into the extremities. This results in the sensation of suddenly being very hot from all that warm blood flooding into body parts that were registering as freezing cold a moment ago, and a confused, disoriented human that's not thinking rationally anymore decides to take off all its clothes to attempt to cool off because of the rush of hot blood into the extremities.

Then after losing even more body heat, they try to curl up under something.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #105756 on: July 11, 2016, 04:56:11 am »

I just realized that the Guy Fawkes mask is a terrible symbol for an anarchist. Guy Fawkes got captured, confessed under torture, publicly humiliated via mutilation, and was plotting to install a Catholic monarch of all things. "Know who we should take as our symbol? The face of a guy who failed in a very public fashion trying to support the more ancient, more strict branch of Christianity."

But then I doubt anybody that wears the mask in earnest is thinking that deeply about the man himself.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105757 on: July 11, 2016, 04:59:50 am »

But then I doubt anybody that wears the mask in earnest is thinking.
FTFY
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105758 on: July 11, 2016, 05:01:36 am »

It did make for an awesome movie though.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105759 on: July 11, 2016, 05:14:38 am »

Dunno that mask always makes me think of this guy instead.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It also makes sense from a historical point of view.

In assorted WTF's.

I'm talking with someone via PMs right now and were just about to send the message when i had a déjà vu and now i'm illogically sure they will illogically rage at a completely inconspicuous message and hate my guts.
Send help.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105760 on: July 11, 2016, 05:15:45 am »

I just realized that the Guy Fawkes mask is a terrible symbol for an anarchist. Guy Fawkes got captured, confessed under torture, publicly humiliated via mutilation, and was plotting to install a Catholic monarch of all things. "Know who we should take as our symbol? The face of a guy who failed in a very public fashion trying to support the more ancient, more strict branch of Christianity."
And the royalties go to the Time-Warner company.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105761 on: July 11, 2016, 06:50:12 am »

In assorted WTF's.

I'm talking with someone via PMs right now and were just about to send the message when i had a déjà vu and now i'm illogically sure they will illogically rage at a completely inconspicuous message and hate my guts.
Send help.
Don't worry! It's just an illusion of your brain, and not a stable time loop!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #105762 on: July 11, 2016, 06:54:04 am »

In assorted WTF's.

Send help.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105763 on: July 11, 2016, 07:31:24 am »

Ok here is a HUGE pet peave of mine and I hate it so immensely.

Ok so the typical thing is that the second a character, race, or faction are no longer relevant for ANY REASON... They are immediately open to being killed off.

For example in Fallout 2 the creator immediately states that after that game the talking deathclaws died out because he disliked them. Since the game was over and all that.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105764 on: July 11, 2016, 07:43:30 am »

In assorted WTF's.

Send help.
Ok i'm trusting you but if it was indeed a stable time loop you just made me fail to break out of it.

In other news. I had a slight brainfuck moment when i noticed that the albion skunk in X:Rebirth has a skunk decal on the hull.
But that's Germany for you i guess.

Ok here is a HUGE pet peave of mine and I hate it so immensely.

Ok so the typical thing is that the second a character, race, or faction are no longer relevant for ANY REASON... They are immediately open to being killed off.

For example in Fallout 2 the creator immediately states that after that game the talking deathclaws died out because he disliked them. Since the game was over and all that.

TBH the dethclaws were kinda lame. Pretty much pure good without much to them beyond "We are so nice but we're forced to raid people".
And then you fix the computer and and literally solve the only problem they ever had.
At least they were good at showing what kind of tough asshole Frank really was by showing him gib a deathclaw with one punch.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 07:51:33 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.
Pages: 1 ... 7049 7050 [7051] 7052 7053 ... 11040