Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14479344 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #10560 on: June 08, 2012, 04:43:51 pm »

On the Dawkins being a dick thing, here's something from a couple days ago.

Dawkins calls for 'Catholic' honesty

The survey finding “should come in for a fair degree of ridicule,” he added. “I wouldn’t hold back on the ridicule”.

He's not very respectful.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10561 on: June 08, 2012, 04:46:58 pm »

There's nothing disrespectful here against religion, though.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10562 on: June 08, 2012, 04:48:38 pm »

You mean statements like "The number of priests is going down beautifully." isn't disrespectful? If I said the same thing referencing atheists, a lot of people would be screaming for my head.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10563 on: June 08, 2012, 04:51:15 pm »

Not particularly, no?

If a democrat said they were happy at the decreasing number of Republican politicians, I certainly wouldn't see that as terribly disrespectful.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10564 on: June 08, 2012, 04:51:58 pm »

I imagine a fair few Republicans might though.
This is a blank sig.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10565 on: June 08, 2012, 04:53:43 pm »

Seeing something as disrespectful and something actually being disrespectful are quite different things.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10566 on: June 08, 2012, 05:03:39 pm »

Depends on where you are standing, really, and in whose shoes.

I am sure a few months ago this very same topic descended into a massive rage argument about semantics, so I retract the above statement.
This is a blank sig.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10567 on: June 08, 2012, 05:13:18 pm »

If you don't find telling Catholics who disagree with the church to stop calling themselves Catholic disrespectful, I doubt you've ever actually spoken to a Catholic who disagrees with the church.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10568 on: June 08, 2012, 05:21:55 pm »

I consider pretty silly, sure.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10569 on: June 08, 2012, 05:29:53 pm »

There's a lot more to being Catholic than the church's official teachings. Personally, I don't get it. But there are some Catholics who I very much respect that disagree with the church, so I'm going to have to believe what they have to say about their own faith.

If a democrat said they were happy at the decreasing number of Republican politicians, I certainly wouldn't see that as terribly disrespectful.

See, this is an attitude I can't respect. Religious people aren't an atheist's opponents.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10570 on: June 08, 2012, 05:56:10 pm »

The catholic church tries to understand modern times but its really nitpicky still, we don't hate gay people as we did before and family planning is slowly crawling in but i don't expect any massive change until another 50 or hundred years. (catholic thats not dealing with the world issues just his community thanks)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10571 on: June 08, 2012, 06:00:25 pm »

He's not disbelieving what they say, though.  He's just saying they shouldn't support an institution which doesn't agree with them (to be honest I have to agree to some extent - if a politician has horrible views then I'd expect people who self identify as followers to share them, and not give much stock to "Well I don't agree with him, I just support him" as an excuse).

Other than their views, the Catholic church is horribly corrupt and the Pope himself tried to cover up child abuse.  I can see why you'd welcome people going to other denominations - it'd maybe send out a message to the leadership that they have to clean up their act and start representing their followers if they want to have any relevance.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10572 on: June 08, 2012, 06:19:10 pm »

He's not disbelieving what they say, though.  He's just saying they shouldn't support an institution which doesn't agree with them (to be honest I have to agree to some extent - if a politician has horrible views then I'd expect people who self identify as followers to share them, and not give much stock to "Well I don't agree with him, I just support him" as an excuse).

Other than their views, the Catholic church is horribly corrupt and the Pope himself tried to cover up child abuse.  I can see why you'd welcome people going to other denominations - it'd maybe send out a message to the leadership that they have to clean up their act and start representing their followers if they want to have any relevance.
You know i would leave at any time but then what would i worship then? :P

In other news EA is pissing me off as it keeps loading up god damn south american servers for BF3. Goddamnit i got a US ip address how much fucking clue you need?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10573 on: June 08, 2012, 06:45:07 pm »

You know i would leave at any time but then what would i worship then? :P

Joe Pesci?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10574 on: June 08, 2012, 06:57:11 pm »

It kind of confuses me when purported atheists/agnostics "advise" adherents of faith X to join faith Y because it's less corrupt/more "pure"/yadda yadda. If it's silly, it's silly, the shape of the hat won't improve it. 
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 703 704 [705] 706 707 ... 11037