Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7007 7008 [7009] 7010 7011 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14461054 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #105120 on: June 29, 2016, 10:51:39 am »

The biggest difference is that you can embark on a max size embark (an entire world map square) without the game crashing from running out of memory.   I tested it, worked great ran at a playable speed to boot.

From what I understand so far (not a programmer) toady has pretty much just run DF through some 64 bit compiler mode that auto converts things to 64 bit.   Things seem to run about the same speedwise and I haven't found any unusual slowdowns.

Note that it does take some time to load the map if you do choose a full worldmap tile as an embark.  I clocked 5 minutes loading from a SSD.  Others say 10-15 mins.

http://bay12games.com/dwarves/redist/df_sdl_64_wintest.zip <- 64 bit windows test release, there should be a linux somewhere too.  Post bugs in the release thread instead of the bug tracker for that one.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:59:02 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #105121 on: June 29, 2016, 12:06:10 pm »

By the powers of capitalism and the free market, if you ever wanted to be able to lick a cat without actually licking a cat, now there's a product for you!
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #105122 on: June 29, 2016, 12:06:20 pm »

oh man, I might actually be up for playing DF again when this get ironned down.

oh man.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105123 on: June 29, 2016, 04:49:37 pm »

Remember in the future EVERYONE needs to wear sunglasses.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #105124 on: June 29, 2016, 04:56:21 pm »

Light pollution is a thing. Atmospheric thinning, too. Remember ocular health, future gents. Sunglasses or cybereyes, no excuses.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105125 on: June 29, 2016, 04:57:46 pm »

*sigh* In danger of losing a quarterly bonus, largely due to the fact that most of my coworkers are lazy cucks. Yesterday, we had a quota of around 8400 pieces, we were short by about 1500. Today was a little better, but my patience is gone with them moving people to different tasks while not properly training them on what they're doing. For my end, this means there's tons of mistakes that I have to stop what I'm doing and fix, costing me time that I don't really have to do something I really should not have to do. Certainly got short with more than one person today because of that. Even after multiple times being instructed after the mistake, they kept doing it.

And on the way home, more than once someone tried to cut us off in a way that nearly caused a serious accident. The last time, not only did they nearly kill us, they then pulled in front of us(and again after changing lanes) and slammed on their brakes, almost pushing us into the ditch in between both directions of the highway. I tried to take a photo of their license plate with my 3DS, but we couldn't get close enough to for the number to be read clearly. After reaching a red light, my mother almost started a fistfight with the driver of that car. This might have upset the driver in front of us in the lane we were in, since after that they kept going agonizingly slow until we got around them.

I swear, I just want a productive day at work with nobody trying to kill me on the way home. Is that too much to ask?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #105126 on: June 29, 2016, 06:01:30 pm »

Venus has gravity comparable to Earth. You CANNOT Moon Walk on Venus.

Dang it Arthur! You were already on Mercury, couldn't you have done that scene there?
What are you on about? Everyone knows that every planet other than Earth has very little gravity. Don't you know anything about Spehss?

:P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #105127 on: June 29, 2016, 06:03:19 pm »

Common misconception.  Spehss can walk on ceilings because he's a cat in power armor.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #105128 on: June 29, 2016, 06:05:40 pm »

I looked into playing DF the other day, but apparently the new compiler and 64-bit are causing some pretty big headaches for the memory mapping folks, so we probably won't have DFHack and Therapist for quite a while?

Yes.

We'll have it for the 32 bit builds in the normal time.

The new compiler causing headaches means 32-bit's also a bit tough. 64-bit's tougher. I wouldn't worry too much, the memory mappers are ridiculous.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105129 on: June 29, 2016, 06:06:20 pm »

Light pollution is a thing. Atmospheric thinning, too. Remember ocular health, future gents. Sunglasses or cybereyes, no excuses.
But I thought the grimdark future was gloomy?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #105130 on: June 29, 2016, 06:11:24 pm »

Only to the people who can't afford eye protection and have had their vision half burnt away. It is grimy, though.
Ask not!
Ask!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105131 on: June 29, 2016, 06:12:45 pm »

I trust it's bloody, as well? That's the important part.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #105132 on: June 29, 2016, 06:26:35 pm »

Eeehhh... sometimes. When it's not oily or something. Blood is pretty last century at that point, though. There's at least plenty of fluids splashing around.
Ask not!
Ask!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #105133 on: June 29, 2016, 06:49:57 pm »

Clearly they're cyberglasses.  Like astronaut facedomes, they adjust to the light level.  Wearing future-sunglasses at night probably *helps* your low-light vision :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #105134 on: June 29, 2016, 06:53:26 pm »

Clearly they're cyberglasses.  Like astronaut facedomes, they adjust to the light level.  Wearing future-sunglasses at night probably *helps* your low-light vision :P
Your vision is augmented, one might even say.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 7007 7008 [7009] 7010 7011 ... 11040