Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6962 6963 [6964] 6965 6966 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14470808 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #104445 on: June 17, 2016, 07:44:50 pm »

... Yeah.
I don't think any video game can really capture that.

DoW Imperial Guard only come close because they're so much more fragile (and easily reinforced) than the other factions.  And their aesthetic and, voice clips, are patterned after the world wars.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #104446 on: June 17, 2016, 08:11:19 pm »

Starts off with hundreds of thousands of men going over the top and you can see why they thought it would work - such a massive sight of strength and power seems indomitable, impossible to the concept of failure.
"I spend thirty thousand men a month, how can you hope to defeat me?"

"I have a couple of guys with machine guns."
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104447 on: June 17, 2016, 08:28:13 pm »

The toothache the other day has turned into several toothaches. What the hell?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #104448 on: June 17, 2016, 08:38:09 pm »

And that's why a realistic WWI shooter would never succeed: you wouldn't have enough people who enjoy being killed brutally, constantly, and pointlessly for the entire time they played the game.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104449 on: June 17, 2016, 09:10:00 pm »

Well I done it...

I found the most BEEFCAKE game EVER!!! that isn't Beefcake as a joke/comedy.

So many shirtless huge muscled dudes. I know I might be wrong, but I have a small hunch the creator of the game is gay (Though the creator of Conan dealt with a LOT of shirtless over muscled guys.)

Bastard Bonds... I wish you were a better game... because that is amazing! In a world of petite people in RPGs lately... you alone went "Heck no! HUGE MUSCLES are best!"

---

Edit: Ok not only is the guy actually gay. But the vast majority of the characters are shirtless over muscled men of sexiness.

Awesome! (no really)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 10:23:32 pm by Neonivek »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104450 on: June 17, 2016, 11:29:50 pm »

I wanted to sleep some few hours ago, but now, for some reason, I do not?

IDK this is weird
._.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #104451 on: June 17, 2016, 11:30:27 pm »

If you stay up long enough you go from 'too tired, sleep plz' to just eh, as far as I know.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104452 on: June 17, 2016, 11:36:46 pm »

Why is everything getting on my nerves more than usual right now, including how everything is getting on my nerves?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104453 on: June 17, 2016, 11:40:26 pm »

If you stay up long enough you go from 'too tired, sleep plz' to just eh, as far as I know.
I guess I should not have decided to go on a trip to update my 2hu setting knowledge to modern standards right before going to sleep...

then again, this is how I roll with this kind of stuff anyway
best way to learn new things = 10+ hour marathon on wikis and YouTube videos
to my understanding people don't usually do this so this is WTF-thread-relevant as well

I think the only time it didn't work out was when I tried to understand Homestuck
but that was solely due to it's sheer fake complexity, most of which turned out to not matter at all in the end, so IDK
._.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #104454 on: June 18, 2016, 12:06:42 am »

That's when you move from short-term debilitation to permanent damage. :^)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104455 on: June 18, 2016, 12:14:32 am »

That's when you move from short-term debilitation to permanent damage. :^)
Wait, but I has been doing that sort of thing pretty regularly?..

oh shit does that mean I'm getting broken

that would explain why my sense of smell has become so shitty
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104456 on: June 18, 2016, 03:34:21 am »

I just realized...

Alot Idyllic characters go through a phrase where some writer "Fixes" them by either turning them into a self-parody, destroys their purity, or tries to make them "Relatable"

Superman, Nancy Drew, Captain America (AMERICA IS DEAD!), Ironman (Dictator), Godzilla (Depowered), Batman... yeah his get unpleasant.

Though I've yet to see this happen to Optimus Prime... who in spite having a lot of movies, television shows, and comics... I've yet to see him turn evil. I mean he was parody level of goody goody in the comics... but that was not only bad writing but that was technically the original depiction.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 03:37:53 am by Neonivek »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #104457 on: June 18, 2016, 03:55:39 am »

It's called deconstruction. They do it once a generation because it keeps the franchise from going stale by pandering to the current demographics. Gritty reboots seem to sell quite well nowadays, so that's the way the wind blows. Eventually, though, the populace will get bored of the edginess, calling for a reconstruction: a return to the franchise's original ideas, better than ever.

The specific example of Optimus Prime never being completely deconstructed is probably because the target demographic is fairly young boys. A bit of darkness and tarnished metal is cool to them, but getting grittier than that by, say, leaving innocents to die isn't.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104458 on: June 18, 2016, 04:07:28 am »

I didn't want to use the term "Deconstruction" because a lot of the time it is taking an aspect of their personality, abilities, mythos and exploring it more. Which can be good while leaving the original character intact. As well deconstructions can happen without even using the original character, for example Hyperion is a deconstruction (and Expy) of Superman.

And even deconstructions of characters are not always to dethrone them but to bring out their virtues. Batman has had plenty of fiction that explored exactly how obsessed he would have to be in order to be "The best at anything" a sort of insanity! that is also a deconstruction. They didn't do it by making Batman hunt down criminals and slaughter them because "Why would a vigilante keep criminals alive when they can bust out of jail?".

AS WELL there are plenty of deconstructions of characters who serve as a sort of satire of the criticism. "The Elite" are a deconstruction of Superman as a team of ultra-powerful antiheroes who believe in the worst in humanity and might makes right.

While in this specific case I mean taking a character and creating flaws, removing virtues, all in an attempt to ground them in some way. A "Destruction" so to speak, an airplane cannot fly without wings.

Gritty Reboots are not often deconstructions of the characters but their comic books. Captain America's movies are Gritty Reboots of the characters books while mostly leaving the character in tact. The same goes for Dark Knight movies for Batman.

While Man Of Steel is also a Gritty reboot... but completely changes the personality, ethos, and story of Superman.

Likewise Nancy Drew didn't get a Gritty Reboot. In her case the movie turned her into a Parody of "What you would think Nancy Drew is" rather then what her books currently are (or ever were... at least I can't think of the last time Nancy Drew stopped a criminal by baking them a cake). Hence why she acts like she is in "Leave it to Beaver", while also making her a loser to make her relatable... Even though those traits go completely against her in the books.

---

Man I am getting good at predicting destruction.

Was reading a wiki about this setting and apperantly there was this conglomerate of vast intelligence, power, and resources dedicated for the betterment of the universe (legitimately). I immediately said before reading on "Ok, it is doomed!"...

And yep... It was destroyed. In fact, it was destroyed FAST!

It seems to be a pattern that when fiction builds something up as good, and it isn't the main character, it might as well have a "Kill me please" sign on it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 04:50:45 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104459 on: June 18, 2016, 05:32:09 am »

Though I've yet to see this happen to Optimus Prime... who in spite having a lot of movies, television shows, and comics... I've yet to see him turn evil. I mean he was parody level of goody goody in the comics... but that was not only bad writing but that was technically the original depiction.

Well you haven't got up to this episode then, obviously:
http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Dark_Awakening_(episode)
Optimus did indeed get a go at being an evil version.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 05:53:18 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 6962 6963 [6964] 6965 6966 ... 11037