Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6899 6900 [6901] 6902 6903 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14469430 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #103500 on: June 02, 2016, 09:37:29 am »

So... how did you learn English then, if it's all tautological?

:P
By learning the exact shape of circular structures that form it, of course!

:P
._.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103501 on: June 02, 2016, 09:44:18 am »

I using basic principles to learn to spell, but it turns out English only has rules so it can break them :P
(On the plus side, now I'm a wizard)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #103502 on: June 02, 2016, 12:49:49 pm »

MaximumZero cancels work: too crispy.
*catchy tune*
So tasty!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #103503 on: June 02, 2016, 02:20:14 pm »

I using basic principles to learn to spell, but it turns out English only has rules so it can break them :P
(On the plus side, now I'm a wizard)
Hey, I'll take learning a single rule such as "add 's' to make something plural, or 'es' if it ends in an 's'" and then have to memorize a small handful of exceptions than learn 6 different rules for plural conjugations that then apply fairly differently to different words (and still have some exceptions of their own). :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #103504 on: June 02, 2016, 05:12:19 pm »

Disabled man born of incestuous rape wins right to claim compensation.
I don't see how this is a bad thing.
This is of course quite a special case. But I can imagine the sort of stuff this might lead to. "Depressed teen sues mom for birthing him"
No, actually. The article explicitly states that you can only demand compensation if your problems are caused by a "violent crime".

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103505 on: June 02, 2016, 05:48:59 pm »

I am being reminded of the terrible cartoon I watched mostly because I was bored and it seemed interesting and it was "Ever After High" in it the sons and daughters of fairytale characters are attending a highschool where basically their destiny is to follow the exact same route as their parents essentially making these stories follow out for eternity. Now don't actually watch this show because it is trite and basically is trying to sell toys but not in a "lets give them a good show anyway" sort of way.

Now the WTF I have is the more I think about SOME of the characters the more I kind of wish I could have a good competent author take them and write a book about them as simple as they might be.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And that is just one of the three interesting characters I found.

>_< I really REALLY got to start reading good books or something. Something juicy but it is so hard to find good books if you are out of the book loop.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #103506 on: June 02, 2016, 06:00:26 pm »

I can recommend The Last Angel. Super neat sci to thing, available on the internet. Easy enough to find via google.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103507 on: June 02, 2016, 06:29:26 pm »

At my work we sit in a room for eight hours watching television and reading books.
We have a person turn up to our room and sit with us for half an hour so that it can be legally proven that we had a break.
What do you actually do?
They sit in a room for eight hours, watching television and reading books.
Yes, I noticed.  For what purpose?

I am on a government payroll for disability care.
We are required to be 'alert' through the night, along with doing some miscellaneous household cooking and cleaning, and of course any icky butt stuff should it come up (it usually doesn't)
So the main aspect of my job is to sit in the house for eight hours and go check out any noises which might mean someone is dying, or pooping.

Of course I realize that I'm getting grossly overpaid so that I can be a convenient scapegoat in the event of someone's death, but... well, I'm being grossly overpaid, so having my life ruined is sort of an acceptable risk.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103508 on: June 02, 2016, 06:35:02 pm »

I can recommend The Last Angel. Super neat sci to thing, available on the internet. Easy enough to find via google.
I will ditto that so hard.  Amazing story.

@Tack:Ah.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103509 on: June 02, 2016, 07:42:40 pm »

>_< I really REALLY got to start reading good books or something. Something juicy but it is so hard to find good books if you are out of the book loop.

House of Leaves

Suspense/horror story about a house that is larger on the inside than the outside, that is told in a rather unorthodox way.  The main story is told in the form of a sort of documentary/analysis of a documentary film that was originally about the filmer's family moving into a new house, that end's up becoming something bigger.  There's also a side plot about the guy who finds the manuscript of the 'main plot' and his misadventures in trying to find out more about it and get it published.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #103510 on: June 02, 2016, 07:45:31 pm »

Odd isn't 1+1=2 by definition. How else would you formally define the 1st ten integers
That's circular reasoning; it doesn't hold. "1 + 1 = 2 because integers are defined that way. Integers are defined that way because 1 + 1 = 2."

I haven't read Principia Mathematica, so I can't tell what logic they used, though.
That's how logic works, though. You start with one assumption and then build everything else around it. Coincidentally, logic doesn't work completely in the real world, hence why philosophers aren't omniscient.

For example, I have an apple. It might not actually be an apple, but I'm assuming it is. Thus, I reason, I can eat it, since apples are edible. But actually, it's a car battery, so I die. My logic is sound, my information is not. Even if you try to prove that something is an apple you'll have to assume that some qualities are possessed by apples to begin to make sense.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 07:47:03 pm by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103511 on: June 02, 2016, 08:31:35 pm »

No reason to assume it would be the same!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #103512 on: June 02, 2016, 08:37:22 pm »

No reason to assume it would be different.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #103513 on: June 02, 2016, 08:39:24 pm »

Oompa loompa doompety da
If you're not greedy, you will go far
You will live in happiness too
Like the Oompa Loompa Doompety do
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103514 on: June 02, 2016, 08:39:44 pm »

Well... math is universal.
I haven't studied logic recently, but the basics seem pretty universal too (mathematics)

Like apparently this is deductive reasoning:
    All men are mortal.
    Socrates is a man.
    Therefore, Socrates is mortal.

I think we can expect advanced alien races to be able to follow that logic, and be aware of prime numbers.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 6899 6900 [6901] 6902 6903 ... 11037