Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6846 6847 [6848] 6849 6850 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14463539 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #102705 on: May 22, 2016, 11:48:52 pm »

I just discovered the gyrojet.  Its a failed concept for a gun that uses rocket fuel instead of gunpowder.  Instead of starting at the fastest it will ever go and then decelerating, the bullet increases in velocity over time; you can stop it by sticking your finger down the barrel.  It is terribly inaccurate which means there's pretty much no range where it beats conventional guns.  On the other hand it has almost no recoil so there's that.

Mind you, I'm talking about a pistol, not a cannon.  Its a pistol that fires tiny rockets.  The 60s where a strange time.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #102706 on: May 22, 2016, 11:52:06 pm »

I just discovered the gyrojet.  Its a failed concept for a gun that uses rocket fuel instead of gunpowder.  Instead of starting at the fastest it will ever go and then decelerating, the bullet increases in velocity over time; you can stop it by sticking your finger down the barrel.  It is terribly inaccurate which means there's pretty much no range where it beats conventional guns.  On the other hand it has almost no recoil so there's that.

Mind you, I'm talking about a pistol, not a cannon.  Its a pistol that fires tiny rockets.  The 60s where a strange time.

It's also basically the little brother of the 40K bolter.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #102707 on: May 23, 2016, 12:03:14 am »

I mean, we could probably make -impractical, ineffective, inefficient- weapons with properties similar to the bolter now, and there was an automatic carbine version of the Gyrojet.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102708 on: May 23, 2016, 12:07:11 am »

They work great in Borderlands!
Possibly because MR TORGUE loudly orders every round to go the right way.  They do have the unusual acceleration as a mechanic, though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #102709 on: May 23, 2016, 12:11:15 am »

My best experience with the gyrojet guns in borderlands is the Jakobs barrel shotguns. When it fires thirty high-damage projectiles and consumes six ammo every shot, you know you have a good gun. More so when it can instagib enemies ten levels above it.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102710 on: May 23, 2016, 01:11:36 am »

Listen, as soon as I can get a functional laser gun, I will be happy. I don't care if I need to wait a fucking hour for it to recharge, I WANT A LASER PISTOL.
Solar-powered, too.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #102711 on: May 23, 2016, 01:21:23 am »

You could cannibalize the laser emitter from a CD burner and install it into a penlight. It should be strong enough to pop balloons and burn skin on prolonged exposure. (And cause blindness if it hits an eye, so don't actually do this.)
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102712 on: May 23, 2016, 01:38:42 am »

You could cannibalize the laser emitter from a CD burner and install it into a penlight. It should be strong enough to pop balloons and burn skin on prolonged exposure. (And cause blindness if it hits an eye, so don't actually do this.)

All your balloon are belong to us!

Yeah, I can just imagine the military sending laser pointer troops to infiltrate some kid's party, strategically popping balloons.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #102713 on: May 23, 2016, 02:35:53 am »

I think lasers were used as anti-missile weapons at some point in history, before missiles advanced beyond being easily dispatched by lasers.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #102714 on: May 23, 2016, 03:03:29 am »

They were considered for the SDI under Reagan, it got tabled, and now they're researching the things again. I believe the next batch of naval ships is expected to carry turreted lasers for point-defence. And also possibly railguns.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #102715 on: May 23, 2016, 05:52:32 am »

Laser pointers can also be very dangerous for aircraft, helicopters in particular. It can effectively blind the pilot and cause a crash.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102716 on: May 23, 2016, 08:01:54 am »

The turreted lasers can also strike down small aircraft like drones, though there's better ways to do that sort of thing. The lasers don't have that much range, at least not in comparison to other ship mounted weapons.

Didn't know Railguns were operational enough to be mounted on ships already. Honestly, I never saw that much of an advantage to using railguns. I mean sure, you got this super heavy cannon thing that can fire large projectiles at incrible speed over enormous range, but you need to add an entire dedicated electric network to the ship to even fire the damn things, AFAIK, altough I guess a ship that already has lasers prob already has a pretty impressive system in place to feed tons of power into the weapons.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #102717 on: May 23, 2016, 08:03:16 am »

Obama cancelled railgun research, but private arms companies are still researching it

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102718 on: May 23, 2016, 08:32:52 am »

Anyone ever question the actual threat zombies would face?

I mean even IF they took an entire city and assuming they are the magical "Never Rot, immune to the elements, immune to self-harm" zombies...

I still have a feeling the US army could take 20 million zombies.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #102719 on: May 23, 2016, 08:34:55 am »

It depends on how it spreads. If by magic or airborne, it would be a major threat. If by bites, not so much.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 6846 6847 [6848] 6849 6850 ... 11040