Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6797 6798 [6799] 6800 6801 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14437636 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #101970 on: May 08, 2016, 04:27:00 pm »

That is weird.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #101971 on: May 08, 2016, 04:31:10 pm »

try oranges

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101972 on: May 08, 2016, 04:34:12 pm »

Looking through my old sent emails was a strangely emotional experience. Pretty draining, really.
Now I should probably sleep. <.<
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101973 on: May 08, 2016, 05:42:51 pm »

You probably should, Yoink...
But you're absolutely right.  I'm slightly obsessive about keeping old things for that reason, because of the unpredictable emotions I feel when I take a peek.
And I'm only 30.  I really hope I manage to preserve some of this into actual old age.

The thing is it isn't all just 2edgy stuff.  A lot of it is just weird and surprising.
(A lot of it is edgy though.  Repressed teenager who keeps up appearances, big surprise right?)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101974 on: May 08, 2016, 05:46:17 pm »

Looking through my old sent emails was a strangely emotional experience. Pretty draining, really.
Now I should probably sleep. <.<

Eesh, yeah Yoink. I hear you, and I've been there. I think that's a pretty common thing about hindsight, and the human experience.

I don't know if this applies to the both of us, but I have a lot of trouble with old emotions sticking around, ranging as far back as stuff from adolescence. Revisiting old conversations, situations, or places (especially ones related to the rougher bits of the past) can really screw me up or take it out of me sometimes. Even so, sometimes it's helpful.

Hardest for me is reflecting on who I was in the past, especially in situations where I was being really foolish, careless, or wasn't being a good person to others. Being a self-aware and sensitive person has been a struggle at times, but whatever your situation, you've got to have compassion for your Old Self too. You had reasons for being you, they had reasons for being them, and you've learned and grown since then. I feel like the reason our Old Selves chafe like that is because we can see the situation in a different light now, and might even regret parts of it. You can't go back and change things, but if we see old patterns sticking around, we can be more aware of them and try harder in the future.

Hope you didn't get too hung up on history, and don't feel dragged down by Old You. If you take anything from revisiting history like that, try to keep it constructive and turn it into fuel for good; don't use it as an excuse for ripping on yourself.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101975 on: May 08, 2016, 06:39:52 pm »

Hope you didn't get too hung up on history, and don't feel dragged down by Old You. If you take anything from revisiting history like that, try to keep it constructive and turn it into fuel for good; don't use it as an excuse for ripping on yourself.
I struggle to even describe the wide variety of odd, often conflicting emotions that trip down memory lane caused in me.
Most fell more-or-less under the "sad" umbrella, but even the occasional happy, amusing or proud memory would generally be tinged with regret or painful nostalgia- where did those times go? What happened to the people I interacted with back then? And why did I... oh, I'm not making any sense.
Staying awake forever will do that to you sometimes. I think I shall go get myself a coffee.   

It has been a weird morning so far, that much is certain.

Edit:
You probably should, Yoink...
But you're absolutely right.  I'm slightly obsessive about keeping old things for that reason, because of the unpredictable emotions I feel when I take a peek.
I'm obsessed with keeping old things, regardless of their worth or significance, purely because my defective brain-meats tell me to. :P
The occasional emotional trip when looking at them anew is entirely a bonus.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 06:42:35 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ManMan

• Bay Watcher
  • I will not be very active till this text goes away
    • View Profile
« Reply #101976 on: May 09, 2016, 02:31:19 am »

I struggle to even describe the wide variety of odd, often conflicting emotions that trip down memory lane caused in me.
Most fell more-or-less under the "sad" umbrella, but even the occasional happy, amusing or proud memory would generally be tinged with regret or painful nostalgia- where did those times go? What happened to the people I interacted with back then?
I was thinking about this same thing yesterday. For some reason, looking at the past almost always gives me nostalgia and sadness and stuff.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101977 on: May 09, 2016, 07:14:12 am »

@Yoink:
Quote from: Kidneythieves - Veteran
Now, it's all over
I see now, I'm a veteran of things I don't want to be

And the more I learn, the less I know
And the deeper it feels, the less it shows

(I'd link to youtube but there's only one version of it there and sound quality is low)
(lyrics: http://lyrics.wikia.com/wiki/Kidneythieves:Veteran)

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #101978 on: May 09, 2016, 01:28:23 pm »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #101979 on: May 09, 2016, 04:39:14 pm »

Semi-sourced it. Apparently it's on the wall of the cricket pavilion in Warborough, Oxfordshire in the UK.

Can't tell you the context, other than the obvious. I've not been able to positively identify the Herbert White referenced there.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #101980 on: May 09, 2016, 04:42:05 pm »

Context is architecture, I'd say.
Love, scriver~

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #101981 on: May 09, 2016, 07:37:39 pm »

That'd be my guess as well, given what we do have, but it is an informed guess. The place certainly doesn't look Gothic or Utilitarian.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #101982 on: May 09, 2016, 07:43:01 pm »

That's 'cause Herbert White knocked them for six with a "get off my lawn!" for good measure.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101983 on: May 09, 2016, 08:12:37 pm »

I'm wagering it means Goths in the sense of Goths and Vandals, and utilitarians in the sense that golf courses are poor uses of land - inefficient, expensive to maintain, and the benefits (golfing) accrue to only a few, whereas the benefits of a farm or a school or even housing... or if we consider other entertainments, a soccer or baseball field. Today basketball would be better, probably. Cheaper, less barrier to entry, no need to mow or water a field for it...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #101984 on: May 09, 2016, 08:33:39 pm »

I assumed it meant that Herbert White defended the pavilion against the southern Scandinavians and John Stuart-Mill :v

I can see it now: a reedy little black-robed man, bible in one hand and sword in the other, gazes upon the pitch, as hordes of bearded berserkers with cruel battle-axes and reedy, middle-class intellectuals charge at him, half in a psychotic rage, the other half sure that they can increase overall happiness by taking the vital strategic point of the pitch. White screams, "In the name of all that is holy!", and effortlessly cleaves down dozens upon dozens of philosophers and Norsemen alike.

Many hours later, his muscles exhausted, he looks upon Jeremy Bentham's disembowled corpse, declares to the heavens, "Lord Jesus, I have fulfilled my duty; I have protected the wicket..." and dies in a heap, his eyes unblinking, his face in a grim smile, and his cassock stained red, alone among the bodies of the Goths and Utilitarians he had slain...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 08:37:24 pm by Tawa »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 6797 6798 [6799] 6800 6801 ... 11040