Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14488840 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #10110 on: May 29, 2012, 02:28:01 pm »

We learned plenty from the dot.com bubble. THe people who did not (or had promptly forgot as soon as something else great appeared) will get another lesson on how risky stocks can be, with or without anything to back them up.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10111 on: May 29, 2012, 02:29:57 pm »

We learned plenty from the dot.com bubble. THe people who did not (or had promptly forgot as soon as something else great appeared) will get another lesson on how risky stocks can be, with or without anything to back them up.
So we wait for the kickstarter bubble then.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10112 on: May 29, 2012, 02:32:23 pm »

Actually.... I dunno. There you have more of a payment system than an ownership stake in many cases. You get material goods paid for in advance. It's more or less custom commissioning stuff in the things I have seen. The problem there being if someone doesn't deliver the goods.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10113 on: May 29, 2012, 02:34:32 pm »

Actually.... I dunno. There you have more of a payment system than an ownership stake in many cases. You get material goods paid for in advance. It's more or less custom commissioning stuff in the things I have seen. The problem there being if someone doesn't deliver the goods.
Thats is true but i don't think we have any of the high rolling projects near deadlines yet so its still a crapshoot whether you made a good deal or not. Frankly i see more coming out of this place than the stock market :P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10114 on: May 29, 2012, 02:35:16 pm »

Its basically honor system-based pre-ordering, I'd say.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10115 on: May 29, 2012, 02:45:17 pm »

Basic problem I saw with Facebook was growth. If it was five years ago? Sure thing.
But now? The only real way Facebook is getting new users is as people who are currently too young to have an account age up. And that's just enough to cover the losses from deaths and people fed up and nuking their accounts. Without growth, their ad revenue is essentially stagnant. Only way to increase revenues is to start adding premium services (cynically, I had a thought that maybe they'd start charging for the ability to opt-out of data gathering. So it's free if you don't mind them disseminating your info, and you can keep shit private for a monthly fee...)

I wouldn't have touched Facebook with a 10-foot pole, and it's kind of gratifying to see my hunch proven right.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #10116 on: May 29, 2012, 03:08:01 pm »

I still don't have any 'social networking' accounts.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #10117 on: May 29, 2012, 03:42:57 pm »

I have a Facebook account, mostly because I wanted to connect with old friends. Then my old friends quit using it.

Figures.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10118 on: May 29, 2012, 03:46:50 pm »

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person that thinks that Facebook is really poorly designed, and the interface and everything are really obtuse and user unfriendly.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10119 on: May 29, 2012, 03:49:15 pm »

Ohohoho, no, no, pretty much everyone agrees with that. But it's like politics - what are you going to do when all the alternatives are worse?

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10120 on: May 29, 2012, 03:49:37 pm »

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person that thinks that Facebook is really poorly designed, and the interface and everything are really obtuse and user unfriendly.
You're not. Facebook is fucking terrible; I'm only on it because it's the easiest form of contact between me and friends.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10121 on: May 29, 2012, 04:08:27 pm »

Ohohoho, no, no, pretty much everyone agrees with that. But it's like politics - what are you going to do when all the alternatives are worse?
You're not. Facebook is fucking terrible; I'm only on it because it's the easiest form of contact between me and friends.

Seconded. So very much.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #10122 on: May 29, 2012, 04:17:47 pm »

I don't know about everyone else. But when it comes to contacting friends and family I have Email and the phone. .V
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10123 on: May 29, 2012, 04:29:08 pm »

I don't know about everyone else. But when it comes to contacting friends and family I have Email and the phone. .V
This.

I don’t always have friends, but, when I do, I prefer the telephone.

Or peer-to-peer communications.

EDIT: Of course, I am not confident that telephones do not count as P2P.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 04:32:25 pm by Fenrir »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10124 on: May 29, 2012, 04:33:24 pm »

I, meanwhile, abhor the telephone. Half the time it devolves into neither party knowing what the other one saying, for one. Two, pressing something up agains the side of your head is incredibly uncomfortable (though a good pair of mic headphones solve that problem) and three, fuck telephones.

It is the single most efficient way to suck all the joy out of a conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 11037