Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6726 6727 [6728] 6729 6730 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14455653 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #100905 on: April 20, 2016, 07:11:02 pm »

I had in mind certain posters on this forum. Who bring up how terrible halal slaughter is and have never once mentioned anything else related to animal welfare. I'm sure they're not the only ones out there. So I'm talking about the anti-halal people specifically, who suddenly discovered animal rights when they realized you could bash muslims with it.

You should just come out and say who you're referring to and give them a chance to respond they want to, rather than weasel about and make hazy accusations nobody is able to refute.

If you can't do that, then that's a good sign you probably should've kept it to yourself.

I didn't want to pick a fight over the issue, I wrote that in response to people saying that such things never happen. I was just mentioning as an aside, that I've seen it happen on this website, and other places. So I know it's a thing. Originally, I was just referring to the general trend of bashing halal, by people who clearly don't give a hoot about animal welfare any other time, without reference to anything here. People doubted that such things happen, but they're pretty common, basically any time the topic comes up.
You've made a claim and not backed it up.
A vague ancedote isn't the most convincing evidence, it must be said.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100906 on: April 20, 2016, 07:16:54 pm »

It's really widespread, same as creationism. There's anti-halal people everywhere on the web, so it's not like citations are needed.

Punch "halal" into the search bar for this forum and you get some of the posts I'm talking about in the first page of results.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:19:25 pm by Reelya »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #100907 on: April 20, 2016, 07:19:01 pm »

can I ask what the goal of this is?  bringing awareness to how religious beliefs are unjusty persecuted?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100908 on: April 20, 2016, 07:20:04 pm »

Look, I just made a single comment to start with. The rest has been responding to other people. That first comment was my WTF, about how the anti-halal crowd never seem to bring up other animal welfare issues (usually they're the same type that bash animal rights groups as tree-huggers). Either give a shit or don't give a shit, i don't really care. Selectively giving a shit, is bullshit however.

And this isn't some sort of extraordinary claim that needs special evidence. The anti-halal crowd are all over the place, while worse abuses rarely get a lot of media traction (unless it's like that one where foreigners sold horse meat as beef).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:32:42 pm by Reelya »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100909 on: April 20, 2016, 07:36:14 pm »

It's really widespread, same as creationism. There's anti-halal people everywhere on the web, so it's not like citations are needed.

Punch "halal" into the search bar for this forum and you get some of the posts I'm talking about in the first page of results.

People may be against Halal because it is still legal in places stunless slaughter is otherwise banned. They may have a stronger opinion on it because more people are striving for it to be legalised that other methods of stunless slaughter. Perhaps they just haven't commented on other things, much like how I have an opinion on waiting at the bustop (I dislike it. It does not mean I hate buses).

I'm not doubting there's anti-halal posts, I'm saying that to claim there's a general trend due to racism requires backing up.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100910 on: April 20, 2016, 07:40:06 pm »

Well there's the whole halal=terrorism freak out going on. It's widespread enough that major news outlets, and even food producers have had to publicly respond to it. Freak outs about halal, when there is no similar concern about other practices are clearly driven by islamophobia.

And I'm pretty certain the anti-halal campaigners only target muslim food, because they all say to eat non-halal meat without any other qualifications on that advice. I mean, there's a Facebook group about boycotting halal, with 90K+ members, which has megaracist overtones, and I just discovered (like 5 minutes ago) my aunt is a member of that group. So yeah, it's a widespread thing.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:50:13 pm by Reelya »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100911 on: April 20, 2016, 07:48:48 pm »

Dammit, starting to get that issue that others have reported before about every other website except these forums 404ing.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #100912 on: April 20, 2016, 08:01:28 pm »

Dammit, starting to get that issue that others have reported before about every other website except these forums 404ing.
YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #100913 on: April 20, 2016, 08:19:37 pm »

Who the heck was the banlog guy?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100914 on: April 20, 2016, 08:21:15 pm »

I think he was a guy who had some blog that seemed to be about hating on the people making that which sleeps. Encouraging people to sue them and such like that. The spamming was for said blog.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #100915 on: April 20, 2016, 08:26:26 pm »

Ah, I see. Hadn't seen him around before.

Man, I hope that this year's bans are just ending up frontloaded, like a reverse-2014. :v
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100916 on: April 20, 2016, 08:34:42 pm »

Bans here are suprisingly rare.

But then again I usually see an uncomfortable amount of people I know - or worse even like in some fashion or another - up there.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #100917 on: April 20, 2016, 08:39:36 pm »

Orange Wizard            Ban      Repeated unprovoked America-bashing
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100918 on: April 20, 2016, 08:44:58 pm »

:o
PKs DF Mod!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #100919 on: April 20, 2016, 08:57:00 pm »

Orange Wizard            Ban      Repeated unprovoked America-bashing
rip

[press f to pay respects]
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 6726 6727 [6728] 6729 6730 ... 11040